Together4ever

New in country

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Now that Mohammed's here I'm kind of freaking. Do we have to register somewhere that he is at the residence he said he would be? The expiration date on his K1 visa is for travel, is that correct? We have 90 days to marry and file AOS, correct? I swear I knew all this and he is freaking out on me and has me all confused. Any info anyone would be willing to quickly drop here would be appreciated. (Sorry to be such a pest.)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Nope, you don't need to register anywhere.

The date you need to be concerned with is the date on his I-94. You must get married by then. There's no official deadline to file AOS, as long as you get married within the 90 days. But the sooner you file, the better, right?

It'll take a couple of weeks for his information to come through in the SAVE system. So don't bother trying to get a social security card until then. Many states that claim to require a SSN for marriage actually do not when you explain the situation, so just check the policy where you are.

Don't freak out - this is the easy part! ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

don't forget to apply for the ssn number between 2 weeks after he gets here to no later than 76 days after his arrival. :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I recommend getting the SSN as soon as possible. About 2 weeks after arrival is a good time. I called the number to the SS office, and they were able to tell me over the phone that Amed was in the SAVE system. We went down to the SS office and applied, and got his card a few days later.

You have 90 days from the date of his arrival to get married. In his passport, they should have given him an I-94 form with an expiration date on it. That;'s your marriage deadline. If he went through JFK, this is where the employment stamp should be as well.

You don't have to worry about registering him anywhere. Just get the SSN whenever you can, get married within 90 days, and start thinking about AOS. For us, it was better to go ahead and apply for AOS as soon as possible, so we went ahead and got married and got his medical done. For K-1s, you only need to to provide the medical supplement with your AOS paperwork if your medical exam to get the visa was completed less than 1 year ago...so if Mohammed is coming up to the 1 year mark, you might want to go ahead and get married and get the AOS stuff started, or else just get the whole medical done again.

Good luck, and congrats again!

4/15/06- Visa in hand!!!

4/21/06 Arrival in U.S.

5/11/06 Legal Marriage

11/4/06 Wedding

AOS

6/12/06 AOS, EAD, and AP papers sent off

6/26/06 NOA1 Date

7/17/06 Biometrics done

8/04/06 Case transferred to CSC

8/8/06 Case received at CSC

9/21/06 Greencard received!!!!

8/31/09 Naturalization- Done with USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.