sarah and hicham

Is it okay to go from wearing hijab to not wearing hijab?

122 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I do recall responding a few times to this same topic perhaps brought up in a different way. Perhaps Sarah didn't create other threads specifically about hijab but I do recall threads about Islam and Sarah asking this specific question before. I don't have time or desire to go back and research old threads to prove a point.

Again..not sure why it's so damn intriguing. It's a piece of fabric for Christ's sake. There are so many things more important in Islam to discuss.

Right but Sarah is not a Muslim. Since hijab is something outward and visible, it could be something very curious to her. I would say a great deal of non-Muslim Americans associate Muslim women primarily by the hijab.

Right... I AM curious about it. If you think there's too much discussion about hijab that's fine, then you don't have to partake in it. I have enjoyed reading most of the responses in this thread. I mostly asked because I know someone who started wearing hijab then got very uncomfortable with it and was debating whether or not to take it off.

If it's too much for some people then don't discuss it.

Sarachid I don't know what I did to you but your post to me about "look who started this thread" etc. is a little weird. Can I ask what your problem is with me having started this thread? Are you Muslim? Do you wear hijab? Why is it so offensive to ask? I'm not forcing anyone to respond....

so those are all rhetorical questions then?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
This is why hijab is not a good topic on public forums. Someone always gets hurt.

If it matters to you at all, amal, I don't think you're stupid, an idiot or anything of the sort. I do wonder why this is such a big, dayum deal to converts when there is so much more about Islam that's ignored. That's just my frustration talking.

consider who started this thread... that will answer your question

Sarah I think I understand now. Does this have something to do with you going heavy on the mayo? Let it go...

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

You know those times when you aren't supposed to laugh but you do anyways, and you cover your mouth like somehow that will make it better?? :whistle:

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
You know those times when you aren't supposed to laugh but you do anyways, and you cover your mouth like somehow that will make it better?? :whistle:

About what?

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
I'm also curious. What does it symbolize besides modesty?

Politics. Hijab wasn't hot until after the 1967 war. It was an embarrassing loss to Israel, and after that, the pressure to assert a Muslim pride surged and most of it was directed as controlling Muslim women because Muslim governments and Muslim men needed something to control and feel potent. For centuries, Muslim women have been considered to be the repository of honor and tradition.

Historical Perspectives On Islamic Dress

Filed: Timeline

You all just blew this whole thing out of porportion. Don't get mad at each other. :star:

We are just humans, we are NO ONE to judge other peoples choices. Hijab is "fard," meaning its a must for a Muslim woman. Lets not forget it is also required for non-muslims too. (Jews, and Christians) It was practiced back then, but nowadays you dont see it often among the Christians. Another thing is, if you notice.. the Virgin Mary always has a covering on her head.. and her clothes are loose. So its nothing new for Chrisitans. No one really makes a big deal about nuns wearing "hijab." But when it comes to Muslims.. its something wierd for some odd reason. its a symbol of oppression when Islam gives women rights. I have been wearing it for about 6 years now.. and I am in my early 20's. I absolutely love it. I feel comfortable wearing it, I feel I have more freedom. :D

Hijab means "covering" in arabic, but Islam expands the word more. It also means being modest. Hijab is also a womans personality, and she should act.

Also, men are required to dress modesy in Islam. SO yes, they do wear hijab. Its not just the women.

My whole point is wearing the hijab is something between God and the girl herself. Nothing like, "my husband wants me to wear it at times" or "i took it off because of harassment" should be reasons to take it off. Cause ultimately you are doing it to please Allah, and Allah alone. Its a commitment a girl makes. If she wishes to take it off, then thats her choice. But please guys, becareful and dont play God. I do it too, we just need to becareful. :blush:

Allah knows best. :wub:

PS.. no such thing as bad questions.. for every misconception we clear up, we are rewarded for it. :thumbs:

Timeline
You all just blew this whole thing out of porportion. Don't get mad at each other. :star:

We are just humans, we are NO ONE to judge other peoples choices. Hijab is "fard," meaning its a must for a Muslim woman. Lets not forget it is also required for non-muslims too. (Jews, and Christians) It was practiced back then, but nowadays you dont see it often among the Christians. Another thing is, if you notice.. the Virgin Mary always has a covering on her head.. and her clothes are loose. So its nothing new for Chrisitans. No one really makes a big deal about nuns wearing "hijab." But when it comes to Muslims.. its something wierd for some odd reason. its a symbol of oppression when Islam gives women rights. I have been wearing it for about 6 years now.. and I am in my early 20's. I absolutely love it. I feel comfortable wearing it, I feel I have more freedom. :D

Hijab means "covering" in arabic, but Islam expands the word more. It also means being modest. Hijab is also a womans personality, and she should act.

Also, men are required to dress modesy in Islam. SO yes, they do wear hijab. Its not just the women.

My whole point is wearing the hijab is something between God and the girl herself. Nothing like, "my husband wants me to wear it at times" or "i took it off because of harassment" should be reasons to take it off. Cause ultimately you are doing it to please Allah, and Allah alone. Its a commitment a girl makes. If she wishes to take it off, then thats her choice. But please guys, becareful and dont play God. I do it too, we just need to becareful. :blush:

PS.. no such thing as bad questions.. for every misconception we clear up, we are rewarded for it. :thumbs:

:huh: required where?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

Hijab as demeanor is fard. Hijab as headcovering is not. Jews and pagans wore headcovering as protection from the elements. Christians wore headcoverings as part of their faith because Paul said that women are to cover their hair during prayer, but that men, who are the glory and image of God, should not. Muslims don't have to follow Paul, nor need they concern themselves with pre-Islamic Arab traditions. And since God hasn't required headcovering, Muslims can't require it either. The term "hijab" in the Quran did not refer to clothing.

Haya for all, but there is nothing fard about headcovering. Wear it if you want. Don't wear it if you don't want. No sin before Allah involved.

Edited by szsz

Filed: Timeline

12 hours and no post about hijab? :o Can't let that happen.

Is it ok to go from wearing to not wearing.....in my opinion there is no way to tell if it is ok. One takes hijab in the hope to please Allah. Taking if off is a choice between the wearer and Allah. So how could we know if it is ok or not?

J (F)

Timeline
12 hours and no post about hijab? :o Can't let that happen.

Is it ok to go from wearing to not wearing.....in my opinion there is no way to tell if it is ok. One takes hijab in the hope to please Allah. Taking if off is a choice between the wearer and Allah. So how could we know if it is ok or not?

J (F)

you stirrer you :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I find it really interesting that there are so many viewpoints and many people think that their view is right, excluding the other views. Is it possible they can all be right in some way?

In the end, does it even matter what others think (I know some people will say yes, and others no)? As many have stated (and as I believe), it's between the wearer and Allah. And I am perfectly fine with others disagreeing with this.

:D:P

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

Timeline
I find it really interesting that there are so many viewpoints and many people think that their view is right, excluding the other views. Is it possible they can all be right in some way?

In the end, does it even matter what others think (I know some people will say yes, and others no)? As many have stated (and as I believe), it's between the wearer and Allah. And I am perfectly fine with others disagreeing with this.

:D:P

To call an act fard, or obligatory, it must meet certain specific legal criteria. Headcovering simply doesn't meet the critieria for fard, so it is not obligatory. This is a matter of legal methodology and it applies because the source of the claim is interpretive, not explicit, therefore, not divine. It is also conditional and contextual.

However, you are right about it being up to the wearer to decide whether to wear it or not. If it's not fard, it can't be objectively said that Allah cares whether you do it or not. Perhaps it will bring you a few brownie points, perhaps not, but no sin derives form not wearing it because Muslims cannot proclaim something a sin that Allah has not declared a sin before them. That is also a principle in Islamic jurisprudence.

Edited by Green-eyed girl

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.