Visa---Pick up at depot or courier?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I'm just interested to know which is quicker? And what do they mean depot?

NOA1 - APRIL 19th

RFE - SEPTEMBER 3rd

RFE REPLY - SEPTEMBER 11th

NOA2 - DECEMBER 20th 'approved'

NVC RECEIVED - JANUARY 9th

MEDICAL - JANUARY 24th

NVC LEFT - FEBRUARY 3rd

EMBASSY RECEIVED - FEBRUARY 7th

DS-160 and NOAR - FEBRUARY 7th

PACKET 4 - FEBRUARY 25th

INTERVIEW - MARCH 10th 'approved'

VISA ISSUED - MARCH 12th

VISA IN HAND - MARCH 17th

P.O.E (LAS VEGAS) - MARCH 18th

uk_usa_flag-full.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Depot means it would be sent to your closest depot (or collection center) and they would contact you to let you know you can pick it up. No idea which is quicker though

K1 AOS:

May 22nd: Sent away AOS package Day 1

May 27th: Notification via text/email confirming receiving package. Day 5

May 29th: NOA's recieved on 29th May Day 7

June 2nd: Biometrics appointment for June 16th arrives. Day 11

June 16th: Successful Biometrics. Day 24

DONT do the pre interview sign up, its $30 to have it delivered to your house.At your interview they give you a form to sign up for the courier and its only £8.99 delivered to your house.

Edited by fcat

Timeline

Really? Wow. You would think that would have been brought up on here before now...

K1 AOS:

Ouch, wish I'd had known this, I paid my fee yesterday (My interview is on the 13th" and I paid the $30 for home delivery

-K-1 Timeline-                                                                                         -ROC Timeline-
Visited girlfriend first time - 07/20/13                                                    Sent - 12/16/16
I-129f Filed - 08/04/13                                                                              NOA 1 - 12/19/16
NOA1 - 08/20/13                                                                                       Biometrics - 01/27/17
Visited girlfriend second time - 09/10/13 - 09/30/13                       Card Production - 6/14/18
RFE - 08/28/13 (parental consent from courthouse)                        Card in hand - 6/21/18
NOA2 - 11/05/13
Visited girlfriend third time - 11/14/13                                           -Citizenship filed Dec 13th 2018-
Case Shipped to NVC - 12/16/13                                                       Biometrics - Jan 3rd, 2018
NVC Case number - 12/26/13                                                            Interview - September 27th 2019 (Approved!)
Sent to London Embassy - 12/27/13                                                Oath - October 31st 2019 (Journey finally OVER!!)
DS - 160 Sent - 05/01/14
Readiness Form Sent - 06/01/14
Medical - 01/09/14
DS Forms & Medical Received By Embassy - 01/14/14
Interview - 02/13/14 APPROVED!!
CEAC Issued - 02/19/14
Visa in hand - 02/24/14
POE: Newark - 02/25/14
Married - 03/22-14

-AOS Timeline-
Filed - 04/16/14
NOA1 Email - 04/24/14

NOA1 Letters - 04/28/14

Biometrics Appointment - 05/19/14

RFE - 04/16/14

EAD Card Production - 07/03/14

EAD In Hand - 07/11/14

Potential Interview Waiver Letter - 07/29/14

Approved! - 03/16/15 (Took Almost 11 months total)

Ouch, wish I'd had known this, I paid my fee yesterday (My interview is on the 13th" and I paid the $30 for home delivery

I saw this article before paying for my K1 luckily!!! I am going to pay the £8.99 at the embassy or if I have to pick up the passport I will. I don't honestly think this should be allowed by the courier firm. The K1 fee is inclusive of courier fee to the depot and I think charging $30 online is just a money making scheme. Some people panic as they have booked their flight (although technically they shouldn't before approval it says). I glad people are posting this and helping us to save money because the K1 isn't cheap in itself without the couriers trying to rip us off!!

Removal of Conditions..  TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK

Time to reset the tick tock clock again.   Roll my eyes.

GC  Conditional date:  05/26/2015

N400.  Application:      02/28/2018       

Biometrics:                    02/22/2018

Waiting............    Roll my eyes again :(

USA citizen as of 25th of July 2018. :)

Timeline

Thank you for this information! I was looking at the site about half an hour ago and thought $30 was pretty high.

I'm confused however. When on the site, it made me pick a drop-off location before going on to the next page. I chose Birmingham because its the closest but I don't want to drive all the way to Birmingham.

Am I right in assuming that when I get to the embassy they will give me the option to have home delivery and ignore the Birmingham instructions? And who would I speak to regarding this, is it the person that interviews you?

Thanks in advance :)

K-1 Process:

09/03/13 - NOA1

10/22/13 - NOA2

02/25/14 - Visa Interview - Approved!

03/03/14 - Visa Received

04/08/14 - US Entry

06/05/14 - Wedding

AOS Process:

07/02/14 - NOA1s received for I-485, I-765 and I-131

07/23/14 - Early walk-in for Biometrics

09/04/14 - EAD Card Approved!

09/11/14 - EAD Card Received

02/27/15 - Greencard Approved!
03/12/15 - Greencard Received!
ROC Process:
02/07/2017 - NOA1
03/09/2017 - Biometrics
02/15/2018 - Extension Stamp in Passport at Local Office
...currently waiting...

The embassy switched to schedule the courier online as well as paying the visa fee during last summer. That's the grand plan of how they want the K1 process to flow. Yes, they will have a backup plan where if you get there and weren't able to get through the computer process somebody will still take your money.

I personally don't see this as an alternative for everybody to jump on when the embassy says on their website--

Immigrant and K visa applicants are required to arrange for the return of their passport once they have received notification of their appointment date either from the National Visa Center or Immigrant Visa Unit and before they attend the Embassy for the interview.

And on a different page

Immigrant and K visa applicants are required to register with the Consular Section's Visa Information and Appointment Services'contractor for the return of their documents. The documents will be returned by courier at no extra cost to one of the courier's 31 depots in the United Kingdom. Home delivery is available at additional charge of $30.00 per applicant. Please visit https://usvisa-info.com for further information.

If they really wanted everybody to continue to pay on the day, why did they change the process? The courier didn't change the plan. It was the embassy who hired another contractor to streamline their work flow. Just a personal opinion, but why not follow what the embassy expects?

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

So far I'm thinking of collecting it from the depot as there is one in my town, I don't know if it's faster or slower, it's probably about the same I reckon :P

Though, if I collect it from the depot, I don't have any photo IDs other than my passport (can't drive so no drivers license etc), which obviously I won't have xD Though it said I can take my birth certificate? So if I showed up at the depot with just my birth certificate they'd give me my passport back? ^^

k1 journey <3 -

-30th oct 2013: sent I-129f package

-1st nov 2013: package arrived at lockbox

-6th nov 2013: received noa1 email/text

-8th nov 2013: alien registration number changed

-15th nov 2013: noa1 hard copy arrived

-19th nov 2013: noa2!!!!

-17th dec 2013: nvc receive

-23rd dec 2013: consulate receive

-15th jan 2014: medical done

-3rd feb 2014: found out interview date via email

-7th feb 2014: received interview letter

-14th feb 2014: interview APPROVED!!!!!! <3

-22nd feb 2014: visa in hand

-26th feb 2014: POE New York JFK

-26th feb 2014: together <333

K1 journey over! Next stop AOS! married! :D

AOS <3

-23rd may 2014 send paperwork with USPS

-26th may 2014 usps says delivered!

-2nd june 2014: NOA1 texts received

-4th june 2014: biometrics letter receive

-26th june 2014: biometrics appointment

-6th august 2014: EAD card production ordered!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

So far I'm thinking of collecting it from the depot as there is one in my town, I don't know if it's faster or slower, it's probably about the same I reckon :P

Though, if I collect it from the depot, I don't have any photo IDs other than my passport (can't drive so no drivers license etc), which obviously I won't have xD Though it said I can take my birth certificate? So if I showed up at the depot with just my birth certificate they'd give me my passport back? ^^

What do they class as a depot?

NOA1 - APRIL 19th

RFE - SEPTEMBER 3rd

RFE REPLY - SEPTEMBER 11th

NOA2 - DECEMBER 20th 'approved'

NVC RECEIVED - JANUARY 9th

MEDICAL - JANUARY 24th

NVC LEFT - FEBRUARY 3rd

EMBASSY RECEIVED - FEBRUARY 7th

DS-160 and NOAR - FEBRUARY 7th

PACKET 4 - FEBRUARY 25th

INTERVIEW - MARCH 10th 'approved'

VISA ISSUED - MARCH 12th

VISA IN HAND - MARCH 17th

P.O.E (LAS VEGAS) - MARCH 18th

uk_usa_flag-full.jpg

What do they class as a depot?

I think it a regional sorting station warehouse kind of place where packages arrive for the whole region then get divided out to different delivery routes. So if you pay extra they put it on the truck going to your street. Otherwise it it held at the depot for you to go collect. Obviously it would arrive at the depot first, before getting sorted to a specific truck on the delivery route.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

If it was me, I would pick up from depot. The amount of calls I get every week from people bitching about them missing their delivery, or getting lost in the post is unreal. HMPO actually had a say on why DX Secure is the contractor. Too many passports where getting lost (stolen) from Royal Mail. Watchdog did a story on it, basically forcing the Passport Office to use a different contractor.

K1 AOS:

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Sorry to resurrect an older thread but can anyone point me to details of the courier firm? Specifically i'm seeking a list of available depots for Visa collection. $30 is indeed a bit steep for home delivery and since I live in London i'm hoping there is a depot very close.

Thanks all,

D

I surprised her with a proposal in Los Angeles, and this is how it went down!

Sorry to resurrect an older thread but can anyone point me to details of the courier firm? Specifically i'm seeking a list of available depots for Visa collection. $30 is indeed a bit steep for home delivery and since I live in London i'm hoping there is a depot very close.

Thanks all,

D

I think its called DX Secure and they have Depots in North and South London IIR. I picked up my passport from the North London Depot which is at Staples Corner, which was a 15 minute drive away for me. I was asked for photo ID when I picked up and showed my Drivers License. Sorry don't remember where their other Depot is located, but it tells you on the website when you go to pay for the Visa where the Depot locations are. It was much more convenient for me than having to wait at home all day for the courier to show up.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.