Maalin

Medical, affidavit and interview

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi guys!

We have gotten to the point in our process where everything is moving a lot faster but it's also extremely exciting. I'm just a tad confused as to some of the processes and I'm hoping that someone can shine some light on it.

So currently, I have a checklist of things I need to gather. This is where it gets confusing. I'm not sure where to start! Should I make sure I have all my papers before I go ahead and do a medical, and after that book an interview?

Regarding the evidence of support; my fiancee is currently working roughly 30 hours a week plus doing college. He works in retail. He has a car and stocks (I think they are called). My question is, how much is needed? I know we are going to be fine, the issue is probably making it believable on paper. What can we expect to no be okay? Is it possible to have more than one evidence of support? I know both of his parents are willing to give their paperwork for this.

As for medical--there is a list of vaccinations that I have to take. Should I make sure I got these before I even go to the medical?

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi there,

Congratulations on the progress so far.
I would suggest starting to get the paperwork right away and set up an appointment for your medical. Keep in mind that you need a new letter of intent that your fiance has to mail to you along with a filled in I-134, the Affidavit of Support form. This is the form that is going to be part of the proof of his income. You can have a co-sponser, which would be his father or mother if they are willing they would have to fill out a form as well. Gather the rest of the paperwork that's required so you can get that out of the way and have one less thing on your mind.

As for the financial part, he needs to be making 125% of the poverty line for the amount of people he's responsible for. You can check the amounts over here: http://www.***removed***/affidavit-of-support/i-864p-poverty-guidelines.html

For 2 people in most states it's $19,387 a year. Alaska and Hawaii have a higher poverty line as you can see.
If his income covers that, then you have little to worry about. If not then you need a co-sponser or savings/assets that are 5 times the value of the amount he's short.
So if he's about 1000 dollars short per year, he could have 5000 dollars in savings to make up for it. It's multiplied by 5 because that's the amount of years the Affidavit is valid for.
Read the 2nd part of this guide for more in-depth instructions/suggestions: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

As for your vaccinations, if you're missing some of them they give you them at the medical but you have to pay for them. So it's always good to check with your doctor, he/she should know which vaccinations you haven't had or need to get. It might be cheaper if your health insurance covers it for you. Either way it wouldn't hurt to check.
Good luck to both of you and hopefully an early congratulations smile.png

Edited by Jhalil&Mandy

February 15th - sent package to Dallas. Took a long time to get to Dallas because of weather conditions and delays.

March 3rd - NOA1.

March 5th - Received alien registration number.

August 21st- NOA2.
September 8th - NVC received package and assigned case #
September 11th - Embassy received package.
September 16th - Received Packet 3.
September 17th - Sent packet 3 back.
September 23rd - Received packet 4.
October 14th - Medical.
October 21st - Interview. - Interview approved, visa granted!

November 1st - Moving to the U.S.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Thank you so much for your reply!

I talked to a nurse today at the doctor's office and she told me that if I needed any shots, they'd give them to me. I will, however, start taking Hepatitis A/B for my own sake. I think the papers for the affidavit is just about ready to be sent out so I'm doing to do my medical ASAP. I'm already gathering the papers I need from the checklist.

Another question; for the medical it says that I should bring two passport photos; any idea if they mean by American standards or Swedish standards?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hej,

A lot of the information that you want, can be found in the Scandinavian section on this forum -> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/185-scandinavians/page-111

However, to answer the question about the photo, it is American standards. Specifically the one you can find through the American Embassy in Sweden's website -> http://sweden.usembassy.gov/photo_req.html

Another valuable source of information is this link -> http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/interview/prepare.html

Wish you a smooth sail towards the horizon.

Also, http://www.visajourney.com/portals/index.php?country=Sweden , since this is the portal for Sweden. Loads of valuable information can be obtained through the portal.

Edited by plasthandske

ROC Packet delivered 2/24/2017 - GC Expiration 5/20/2017.

NOA - 2/27

Bio - Walk-in 3/10

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.