omar borg

Had interview before 18th birthday but went in admin processing

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I wanted to know if anyone can help with a suggestion. first of all i started processing my green card in December 2012 and i knew that if i am able to enter the USA before my 18th birthday which was 7 months away i will be able to become a U.S citizen automatically. Things went great and i got a fast approval in early feb 2013 and my papers where transferred to the NVC although it took a month till i received my Case number but my case was auto expedited by the nvc and they told me that i will have to take the I-864w form with me at the interview because they have skipped it. the case was transferred to Cairo embassy and another month of wait until i was able to get an appointment on may 29th which is 1 month away from my birthday july 1st the before the interview i met a lady who checked my papers and took the i-864w form and told me that my visa will be ending in november and when will i be travelling and that i will be able to receive automatic citizenship if i enter before my birthday. was great and the officer stated at the end that my case looks great and he doesn't see any problems but it needs additional processing that will take 2 weeks only and i will be able to travel before my birthday. 2 weeks have past with nothing except me getting crazy with only 2 weeks left for my birthday the embassy didn't respond with any new information except that my case in under admin process and the time for that is unknown due to the situations in Egypt at that time the stopped receiving calls and they had an auto reply to emails. i turned 18 without getting a visa and i continued to write for months with the same answer until i received my visa finally in november after renewing my medical but the embassy stated nothing about my eligibility to citizenship. I will be travelling next month finally to USA but i don't know if i will still be able to apply for citizenship and if not can i be able to use the CSPA child status protection act as i had my interview when i was 17 years old and according to the CCA child citizenship act of 2000 a child will receive automatic citizenship if he arrives usa before his 18th birthday which in my case wasn't an option due the delay in visa processing from the embassy i am really confused if i still have the right to apply for citizenship or i will become a normal LPR and should pass what happened normally i want to know what do you think. Finally i have to mention that i found a strange thing on the immigration letter cover sheet that has basic info about me i found that beside occupation is written Stundent/Children under 16 i really don't know if this will differ. sorry for all the words but i wanted to be precise i hope anyone can help because unfortunately i found no one that had an experience like me thanks in advance awaiting your kind replies.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You will be a plain LPR.

It doesn't matter that you could not get a visa before your 18th birthday.

You will be over 18 when you get LPR status so you will not meet one of the requirement of the CCA.

You cannot apply the rules for the CSPA law to the CCA law. That's not how it works.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

You will be a plain LPR.

It doesn't matter that you could not get a visa before your 18th birthday.

You will be over 18 when you get LPR status so you will not meet one of the requirement of the CCA.

You cannot apply the rules for the CSPA law to the CCA law. That's not how it works.

Sorry but this is true and 90 days before the 5th anniversary as permanent resident you will be eligible to apply for citizenship. I know that citizenship have more advantages but this is the next best.

USA

01/08/13 - Approved and GC is order for production on 1/8/14

09/12/13 - Case transferred to CSC. NOA2 received on 09/18/13

08/30/13 - Biometrics Done - No walk ins allowed at this LSC (received on 8/16/13).

08/05/13 - NOA1 (received on 08/10/13)

08/01/13 - Mailed I-751 (received on 8/2/13 - check cashed on 8/5/13)

12/28/11 - Received SSN (applied on 12/20/11, as we didn't get based on DS-230 options)
11/28/11 - Received Green Card (Expires on 10/30/13) - Welcome Letter on 11/17/11
10/30/11 - POE - Houston, TX

Chennai Consulate (40 days)
10/28/11 - Received Visa papers and Passport at VFS
10/25/11 - Interview Cleared Successfully (Spouse was not allowed in)

NVC: (90 days from NOA2 to Consulate)
08/31/11 - Case Completed (Interview 10/25/11) - Received at Chennai on 09/19/11
07/22/11 - NVC Case Number

USCIS: (92 days)

6/21/11 - NOA2 (NOA1 on 3/25/11) - took a month to get to NVC
3/21/11 - I-130 sent to USCIS Lockbox, Chicago.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

A very difficult post to follow and nothing that I could find relates to why you should becomes an automatic US citizen, My computer has a return key so do not need to have a very long run on sentence.

Assuming you were not in this country when your immigrant parent was naturalized as a US citizen. To the best of my knowledge under these circumstances you do not automatically become a US citizen when your parent did.

Had to be petitioned first, come here become a LPR, have that green card, maintain that residency requirement, and will then automatically become a US citizen if under the age of 18. But without any proof of this, either have to get a US Passport or apply for that N-600 or both while you are under 18 years of age.

Try to explain your status in basic terms and include information on how your parent came here.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

He interviewed for a visa when he was 17.

The US Embassy issued the visa after he turned 18.

He will immigrate to the US after turning 18.

He thinks CSPA applied to citizenship. It doesn't. CSPA only applies to immigration. Citizenship is not the same as immigration.

He cannot benefit from the CCA because he will not be 18 when he gains his LPR status. He will not gain US citizenship from his parents.

After 5 years as an LPR, he can apply for US citizenship.

Filed: Timeline

He interviewed for a visa when he was 17.

The US Embassy issued the visa after he turned 18.

He will immigrate to the US after turning 18.

He thinks CSPA applied to citizenship. It doesn't. CSPA only applies to immigration. Citizenship is not the same as immigration.

He cannot benefit from the CCA because he will not be 18 when he gains his LPR status. He will not gain US citizenship from his parents.

After 5 years as an LPR, he can apply for US citizenship.

Thanks a lot for your replies and that is typically the situation i really don't know about the five years rule will apply to me or not because i have read a post before about someone near my situation and they received citizenship after a year but i really don't know if that can happen to me the embassy made everything confusing without giving any reply to what i can do i will try to contact them again before i travel with hope of anything new.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.