naturegirl321

tourist visa to K3?

12 posts in this topic

Seeing how much docs and time are needed for the K3 visa, is it possible to simply get my husband a tourist visa and then change it to a k3 visa in the USA?

744934.png

Jan 2005 Met

10 Feb 2005 Started dating

27 Apr 2005 Got engaged

24 Feb 2006 Civil marriage ceremony

Mar 2008 Planning to apply for a tourist visa

744944.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Seeing how much docs and time are needed for the K3 visa, is it possible to simply get my husband a tourist visa and then change it to a k3 visa in the USA?

:no:

There might be other things available but K-3 is not it.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

That would be immigration fraud, there is a reason most of us are not with our spouses. If that was legal we would all do that instead :)

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

Doesn't the k3 take a year to get?

And what does "touch" mean?

Edited by naturegirl321

744934.png

Jan 2005 Met

27 Apr 2005 Got engaged

744944.png

Timeline

And the concept of "simply getting a tourist visa" is another misnomer. Simple it is not. In order to get a tourist visa the applicant needs to overcome the presumption of "intent to immigrate." Since the applicant's spouse is already resident in the US the CO will have just about no choice but to deny because the presumption of "intent" will be very difficult for the applicant to overcome.

Does that make sense?

YMMV

Timeline
Doesn't the k3 take a year to get?

And what does "touch" mean?

The timeline to K-3 varies from country to country because not only do you have the USCIS processing component you have the consulate part of the process. Some consulates are faster than others. Some are way slow.......

A touch simply means that your file was "touched" by someone at the service center. Each time they move your file from one pile to the other pile, if they happen to spill coffee it or god forbid they actually open it and do some review work they are suppose to scan the "barcode". If you sign up for e-mail notification then this is how you see touches. It really is a meaningless excersise but people like to see some activity on the file though it might be totally meaningless.

YMMV

And the concept of "simply getting a tourist visa" is another misnomer. Simple it is not. In order to get a tourist visa the applicant needs to overcome the presumption of "intent to immigrate." Since the applicant's spouse is already resident in the US the CO will have just about no choice but to deny because the presumption of "intent" will be very difficult for the applicant to overcome.

Does that make sense?

Actually, legally speaking, I gave up US residency on 19 Mar 2003, I'm a citizen, but not a resident. I'm a Peruvian resident.

744934.png

Jan 2005 Met

27 Apr 2005 Got engaged

744944.png

Timeline

Does that make sense?

Actually, legally speaking, I gave up US residency on 19 Mar 2003, I'm a citizen, but not a resident. I'm a Peruvian resident.

OK.. since you are a resident of Peru, then filing an I-130 directly with the Consulate (sometimes called DCF), if they indeed accept direct filings, should/would more than likely be faster than K-3 if you qualify. Most locales have a residency requirement and you may have already met that burden. Best to check the Embassy website to see what they offer

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Have you read this thread?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47156

It is similar to what you are asking, but there was no consensus amoung members what the correct or legal course of action would be. The bottome line is, you might be able to get a visitors visa, and you might be able to file for AOS once here, but there are risks with potentially serious consequences.

Good luck,

Mike

Filed: Timeline
Have you read this thread?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47156

It is similar to what you are asking, but there was no consensus amoung members what the correct or legal course of action would be. The bottome line is, you might be able to get a visitors visa, and you might be able to file for AOS once here, but there are risks with potentially serious consequences.

Good luck,

Mike

Mike there is one very BIG diffrence between this case and the one you quoted.... the op in this case is not already in the USA after coming for an vacation and changing their minds about returning to the original country.... the OP is in the other country looking for a fast way to get here... if they got a tourist visa knowing that they intend to change their minds once here then that would be visa fraud... DFC would be their best option or the USC returns to the US and then files for K1 or K3 if married already....

Kez

Filed: Timeline

Check also the need for the petitioner to have US domicile before an immigrant visa can be issued.

Yodrak

Does that make sense?

OK.. since you are a resident of Peru, then filing an I-130 directly with the Consulate (sometimes called DCF), if they indeed accept direct filings, should/would more than likely be faster than K-3 if you qualify. Most locales have a residency requirement and you may have already met that burden. Best to check the Embassy website to see what they offer

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We tried to get a tourist visa while we were waiting for Mel's K-3 and she was denied at the US embassy in Manila. It is very hard to get a tourist visa in the K-3 process, don't go through the heart ache, just be patient and wait...

Rob and Melinda

I-129F

Filed New I-129F form with IMBRA June 19, 2006

NOA 1 June 26, 2006

Touched July 3, 2006

I-129F Approved by E mail August 21, 2006, Just 63 Days

NOA 2 for I-129F Received in the Mail August 26th, 2006

I-129F at NVC

Case Number assigned at NVC August 29, 2006 MNL2006XXXXXXXXX

NVC sends the I-129F to the Manila Embassy August 29th, 2006

Embassy in Manila Receives I-129F August 31st, 2006

Packet 4 Received by Melinda from Manila Embassy October 1, 2006

Interview at Us Embassy Manila, October 18, 2006

Visa Approved! Interview Completed.

Visa Delivered by DELBROS October 28th, 2006

October 30, 2006 Arrived back in LAX with Melinda, were going to Disneyland!!!

November 6th, 2006, Melinda and I are back home in Winslow Arizona loving Life!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.