Jana636

IR-1/CR-1 and Evidence of Bonifide Marriage

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone,

My fiance is an American and I currently reside in Canada. We are planning on getting married in March 2014 and we've been trying to figure out our options (K1 vs K3 vs IR-1/CR-1).

This forum has been incredibly helpful but I'm a little confused about one point. I was reading the IR-1/CR-1 Step-by-Step Guide and got to the part of Evidence of a Bonifide Marriage (http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1) which states:

2. A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or

He's a United States Marine and is actually going to be leaving the barracks and renting a property (in advance of me finally being able to legally stay with him in the US). Should I have him add my name to the lease in advance of receiving our IR-1/CR-1 to use as part of our evidence?

Thanks in advance! smile.png

Edited by Jana636

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

We did the CR1 and we didn't have any of those things

We just had a ton of face time and photos showing all of my visits to Jamaica

We also had phone records and chat history but thats it and we were approved withno pproblems

August 4 2012: filed i130

December 5 2012: noa1

May 8:2013: noa2

June 3 2013: case received at NVC

August 26 2013: AOS package received at NVC

Sept 19 2013: case complete

October 1 2013: interview date received from NVC

Nov 26 2013: interview

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the quick response.

I guess, as another question - would having my name on the lease, although we haven't received our visa compromise our eligibilit?

If I understand correctly, until the IR-1/CR-1 Visa is issued, I'm not supposed to enter the US. Would having my name on a US lease jeopordize our application?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

My wife and I do not have anything together, I mean NOTHING at all. We received our NOA2 in December of 2013. She is currently in Germany waiting for this process to be finalized and I currently reside in the US. This is what we used as evidence of bona fide marriage:

• Story of how we met, one from me (petitioner) and one from her (beneficiary)
  • Private Facebook messages between us before meeting in person (we met over facebook while she still lived in Germany)
  • Affidavit sworn by petitioner’s mother having personal knowledge of the marital relationship
  • Affidavit sworn by a mutual friend of both the petitioner and beneficiary having personal knowledge of the marital relationship
  • Affidavit sworn by the beneficiary’s mother having personal knowledge of the marital relationship
  • A set of two (2) pictures of the petitioner and beneficiary attending a special event
  • A set of two (2) pictures of the petitioner and beneficiary on the day of their wedding
  • Boarding passes for the petitioner and beneficiary traveling together to Stuttgart, Germany
  • Copy of a card/letter received by the beneficiary sent by the beneficiary’s uncle and family
  • A copy of two pairs of special event tickets attended by the petitioner and beneficiary, and a set of two (2) corresponding pictures for that event
  • A copy of the wrist bands worn by the petitioner and beneficiary during their stay at three different all-inclusive resorts, and a set of two (2) corresponding pictures for each resort for a total of six (6) pictures in relation to the resorts mentioned above
  • Boarding pass for the beneficiary traveling back to Stuttgart, Germany from San Jose, Costa Rica (our G-325A indicated we had lived together in Costa Rica)

The evidence to prove a good faith marriage is endless and lots of different things can be used. I hope my examples can help you out.

Thanks for the quick response.

I guess, as another question - would having my name on the lease, although we haven't received our visa compromise our eligibilit?

If I understand correctly, until the IR-1/CR-1 Visa is issued, I'm not supposed to enter the US. Would having my name on a US lease jeopordize our application?

1) you don't need the lease. If he added you to his bank account that would be pretty good evidence. He can add you to his car insurance as well. There is a list off this wiki at the bottom for ideas for evidence of a bona fide relationship: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/EZGuideSpouse In Canada this is pretty easy.

2) you can enter the USA. YES you can visit. YES he can visit you as well. You may need to provide proof of your ties to Canada which you can do via a lease (car, apartment etc..) mortgage, a letter from your employer about when you're expected back, bills in your name etc... things that normal people don't just up and leave. Travel appropriately (don't over pack) and don't spend too long. Shorter visits go over better than long ones. Flights with return tickets tend to go over better as well. But many people live in or near the border and visit every weekend without any issues. Once you file you can also bring a copy of the NOA1 to show you're legally pursing immigration vs trying to move in illegally. I visited my husband thrice over the course of our marriage when I was in Canada and twice while the petition was pending. I was never once asked for the evidence I brought with me. When you say "I'm visiting my husband" then you expect more questions like how did you meet, where do you work, where does he work, etc... But generally if you're friendly, polite, and answer what is asked, you're fine.

keep in note that if you plan on marrying March 2014 and have not yet filed the K1 paperwork, and yet want to pursue that route, you will not get your wedding when you want it. It takes a great deal longer than 3 months to complete the K1.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

The process on everything seems like forever!!! I went with the CR1 process and over 9 months (still not finished).

With evidence, I really struggled with this also towards my process. I even did a info pass at the local immigration office to discuss it. The person kept telling me we should have all these things (joint lease, joint bank, blah blah) because "that is how married couples are suppose to be". I explained we are newlywed and do not live together. I was told to write what me and the IO discussed in a letter and include it. So I included my personal statement, marriage certificate, pictures (with wedding, with family, engagement, various trips), our joint FB account, and passport stamps (I had already deleted prior conversations so didn't have this). I really had nothing. I got my approval.

Edited by TimandAna

Finished for now!!

NOA1 4-1-13

NOA2 11-14-13

NVC case # 12-9-13

Case complete 1-21-14

Interview 3-3-14

Visa Received 3-6-14

US Entry 03-09-14

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.