rofa

I need help please!!!!!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I came to the US a week ago on a k3 visa, and today, I went to SSN office to apply for a number. They told me I needed a work authorization permit first. I am just confused, what do I need in order to apply for that? how long will it take?

Please let me know the procedure so that I can go out tommorrow and see what I can do. Thanks.

I 130

I 130 sent 08/03/05

I 130 NOA1 08/23/05

I 192f

sent 09/17/05

NOA1 09/23/05

NOA2 10/31/05

consulate recieved 11/15/05

pack 3 recieved 11/21/05

pack 3 sent 11/23/05

pack 4 recieved 12/30/05

interview date 02/13/06

approved 02/13/06

recieved visa in mail 02/17/06

moving date 02/25/06

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Hi, Rofa!

I don't think Boiler understands that the processing for SSN applications for K3 visas are way different from K1 visa holders.

SSA doesn't provide K3 visa holders with SSN applications unless they have EADs (Employment Authorization Document).

You have to file I-765 (EAD form).

Requirements:

1. a copy of your passport

2. a copy of your Form I-94 (front and back)

3. a copy of your K visa

4. 2 pcs. of 2x2 colored photos (white background)

5. $180.00 filing fee made in check or money order payable to "Department of Homeland Security"

They have the instructions and addresses stated in the said form, just follow it.

Processing should be at least 3 months. And you should file as A9 (K3 NonImmigrant Spouse of US Citizen) if you have not yet filed your AOS (I-485) papers.

For other informations that can possibly help you, refer to these links below:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-765.htm

http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/guide_2081.html

I hope I was able to help you out.

Goodluck.

Chris

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks so much Chris,

It just pisses me off, that long wait again. I wonder why a k1 holder does not need a work permit to apply for a SSN but a k3 holder needs one. Maybe I should not have gotten married prior to coming to the states. i guess i will just wait for my I 130 so I dont have to file in EAD.

I 130

I 130 sent 08/03/05

I 130 NOA1 08/23/05

I 192f

sent 09/17/05

NOA1 09/23/05

NOA2 10/31/05

consulate recieved 11/15/05

pack 3 recieved 11/21/05

pack 3 sent 11/23/05

pack 4 recieved 12/30/05

interview date 02/13/06

approved 02/13/06

recieved visa in mail 02/17/06

moving date 02/25/06

No problem, Rofa.

Yeah, I know what you mean with "that long wait", and the priority between a K1 and K3 is so much different with SSN processing.

But you might still want to think twice about not getting an EAD soon. Because you might get stucked at home for a while "with the wait" and everything. You won't be able to open up a bank account, or even have a driver's license if you don't have SSN.

Still, the final decision is up to you. It was just a thought (",)

Goodluck on the long wait.

Chris

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.