JAYANN & JAY

Traveling with Advance Parole

31 posts in this topic

My wife stressed out about traveling as well; she got some dubious advice from friends about the "advance parole" document, but I urged her to go back anyway. For some reason, some Filipinos have a peeve about anything that says "parole" on it because of its usage among prisoners. So I told her, if someone asks you the name of the document that you'll use to return to the US, call it the "I-512." I'll be returning to the country with her, but I don't think that will help much either since we go through separate lines at customs.

Edited by pete_falcone

K1 -- 129F: 3/15/13 + NOA1: 3/22/13 + NOA2: 7/1/13 + NVC: 7/20/13 + MED: 8/4/13 + USEM: 8/23/13 + K1: 8/31/13 + CFO: 9/4/13 + POE: 9/7/13

AOS -- CIVIL: 9/14/13 + NOA1: 10/10/13 + BIO: 10/17/13 + INT: 7/8/14 + 131: 11/23/13 + 765: 12/13/13 + 485: 7/15/14

ROC -- NOA1: ? + BIO: ? + INT: + 751: ?

NAT -- NOA1: ? + BIO: ? + INT: ? + N400: ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife stressed out about traveling as well; she got some dubious advice from friends about the "advance parole" document, but I urged her to go back anyway. For some reason, some Filipinos have a peeve about anything that says "parole" on it because of its usage among prisoners. So I told her, if someone asks you the name of the document that you'll use to return to the US, call it the "I-512." I'll be returning to the country with her, but I don't think that will help much either since we go through separate lines at customs.

Hi. When is your wife traveling to the Philippines? Other people are giving us advice not to go because of this statement "AP does not guarantee admission into the USA" but upon doing some research only those who stayed unlawfully have a greater risk of coming back.

Edited by JAYANN & JAY

JAYANN & JAY

K1 VISA PROCESS

03.05.13: I-129F Sent
03.12.13: I-129F NOA1 (Vermont Service Center)
07.12.13: I-129F NOA2 (Petition approved)

08.27.13: Interview - APPROVED

09.23.13: POE to JFK

10.08.13: WEDDING DAY

AOS PROCESS

11.02.13: AOS/AP/EAD Sent

11.08.13: NOA1

12.11.13:Biometrics

01.06.14: EAD/AP combo card received

02.07.14: Received an interview waiver letter

04.18.14: Green Card received

ROC PROCESS

03.08.16: ROC Sent

03.12.16: NOA1

04.04.16:Biometrics

She's already there. Won't be back till March. That gives me another 5 weeks to enjoy life as a free man. :P

sorry honey. hope you're not reading this. :(

K1 -- 129F: 3/15/13 + NOA1: 3/22/13 + NOA2: 7/1/13 + NVC: 7/20/13 + MED: 8/4/13 + USEM: 8/23/13 + K1: 8/31/13 + CFO: 9/4/13 + POE: 9/7/13

AOS -- CIVIL: 9/14/13 + NOA1: 10/10/13 + BIO: 10/17/13 + INT: 7/8/14 + 131: 11/23/13 + 765: 12/13/13 + 485: 7/15/14

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi. When is your wife traveling to the Philippines? Other people are giving us advice not to go because of this statement "AP does not guarantee admission into the USA" but upon doing some research only those who stayed unlawfully have a greater risk of coming back.

As was mentioned already, the K-1 visa does not guarantee entry either, neither does a green card so like said.... relax.

Only thing that guarantees entry is a U.S. passport

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

As Harpa, Hank, and others are telling you... he'll be ok. That verbiage on the CBP site is there a "catch-all" to keep illegal activity out of the US.

"Please note that Advance Parole does not guarantee admission into the United States. Aliens with Advance Parole are still subject to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection inspection process at the port of entry."

This means that if a person shows up at Customs and has illegal paraphernalia, has done something illegal while outside the US, or similar, they can be denied entry.

They also say this: Aliens who have pending applications for certain immigration benefits need Advance Parole to re-enter the U.S. after traveling abroad.

Aliens applying for advance parole on the basis of a pending application for adjustment of status must be approved for advance parole prior to leaving the United States in order to avoid the termination of their pending application for adjustment.

Timeline

As Harpa, Hank, and others are telling you... he'll be ok. That verbiage on the CBP site is there a "catch-all" to keep illegal activity out of the US.

"Please note that Advance Parole does not guarantee admission into the United States. Aliens with Advance Parole are still subject to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection inspection process at the port of entry."

This means that if a person shows up at Customs and has illegal paraphernalia, has done something illegal while outside the US, or similar, they can be denied entry.

They also say this: Aliens who have pending applications for certain immigration benefits need Advance Parole to re-enter the U.S. after traveling abroad.

Aliens applying for advance parole on the basis of a pending application for adjustment of status must be approved for advance parole prior to leaving the United States in order to avoid the termination of their pending application for adjustment.

Thank you for clarifying this, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately my husband is not able to go and I feel so bad that he is not able to be there for his grandmother's funeral because of my parent's preventing him from traveling even with an approved advance parole. My parent's think if travels back to the Philippines he may not be able to come back and his future will be wasted...we tried explaining them some of the reasons of not being able to re-enter such having overstayed or doing something illegal but you know as adults they think they are right because they have more experience than us. THANK YOU ALL for your help.

Thank you for clarifying this, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately my husband is not able to go and I feel so bad that he is not able to be there for his grandmother's funeral because of my parent's preventing him from traveling even with an approved advance parole. My parent's think if travels back to the Philippines he may not be able to come back and his future will be wasted...we tried explaining them some of the reasons of not being able to re-enter such having overstayed or doing something illegal but you know as adults they think they are right because they have more experience than us. THANK YOU ALL for your help.

JAYANN & JAY

K1 VISA PROCESS

AOS PROCESS

ROC PROCESS

How are they stopping him from going? Unless they are paying for the airfare, I don't see how they can stop him.

OTOH, I can't see spending that much money to see someone buried, but I know PI family ties are much different than mine. My wife just lost an aunt, and she is sad, but she never asked to go. But if her mom died, I know I would be sending her.

Sorry for his loss, and sorry it's turning out to be more stressful than just dealing with the death. But really, he won't have a problem coming back in this circumstance. This is EXACTLY what advance parole is for.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your parents making the decision for you and your husband? Geeee... mellow.png

My condolences. rose.gifrose.gifrose.gif

Timeline

How are they stopping him from going? Unless they are paying for the airfare, I don't see how they can stop him.

OTOH, I can't see spending that much money to see someone buried, but I know PI family ties are much different than mine. My wife just lost an aunt, and she is sad, but she never asked to go. But if her mom died, I know I would be sending her.

Sorry for his loss, and sorry it's turning out to be more stressful than just dealing with the death. But really, he won't have a problem coming back in this circumstance. This is EXACTLY what advance parole is for.

They are stopping him from going because they think if he leaves and immigration dont allow him back he will ruining his future. It is bad enough that my family is talking about my husband. Plus we are only going to be in PI for at most 10 days total.

JAYANN & JAY

K1 VISA PROCESS

AOS PROCESS

ROC PROCESS

Timeline

Your parents making the decision for you and your husband? Geeee... mellow.png

My condolences. rose.gifrose.gifrose.gif

Yes especially my mom she likes to control everything...unfortunately she doesnt know how to let go which is very annoying :(

JAYANN & JAY

K1 VISA PROCESS

AOS PROCESS

ROC PROCESS

Yes especially my mom she likes to control everything...unfortunately she doesnt know how to let go which is very annoying sad.png

I am not trying to cause problems with your families, but the decision is YOURS and your HUSBANDS to make, not theirs. Don't start your marriage by letting them run your lives. I mean, I am sure they are wise, and advice is one thing, but they can't actually make you stay home or go.

How about this? If your POE is close to home, go to the airport and ask customs if it's ok to come back. Show them his AP card, explain the situation. Won't work if your POE will be a few hours away, but it might put your mind at ease.

Nah, that's not gonna be a good option if they have to pay a bunch of tolls and drive across the five boroughs just to get to JFK. For us, we'll be departing and arriving from EWR, so it won't be a hassle unlike JFK.

Timeline

I am not trying to cause problems with your families, but the decision is YOURS and your HUSBANDS to make, not theirs. Don't start your marriage by letting them run your lives. I mean, I am sure they are wise, and advice is one thing, but they can't actually make you stay home or go.

How about this? If your POE is close to home, go to the airport and ask customs if it's ok to come back. Show them his AP card, explain the situation. Won't work if your POE will be a few hours away, but it might put your mind at ease.

You are causing any problems :) Its just hard to be living with my parents...you know just because they are older & think they know everything they try to give us advice. I kind of regret not sending my husband back home but next year we do plan on going back to the PI hopefully he will have his GC by then.

How long did your wife get her GC? We filed our AOS Oct 31 and I checked our status but still acceptance for his I-485. Getting kind of nervous.

JAYANN & JAY

K1 VISA PROCESS

AOS PROCESS

ROC PROCESS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.