Olive25

When you move what do you do with your Canadian finances and debt?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I thought I’d get a head start in trying to get all my ducks in a row before we get too far down the road and before I know it, it's time to move!

I just want to be as prepared and not give myself any unnecessary headaches or stress because I wasn’t proactive enough. Most of my concerns revolve around finances. How did you all organize and transition from Canada to the US? Here are a few details of my situation:

- I work for a Canadian company that is owned by the US. I know there is a gray area of letting me work remotely and still get paid to my Canadian account. Most of the concerns I’ve heard about were tax implications… what taxes would I have to pay? If I am able to continue working, I’d be happy to pay double the taxes… I’d rather do that then to be out of work for 3+ months while my AOSEAD and AP are in the works.

- If I have to take a unpaid leave of absence I have a few thousands of savings in my Canadian account. What is the best way to transfer those funds? I need to split up my savings and keep some in my Canadian account as I haven't sold my property yet… I do have a renter, if needed, so I'm not that worried, but still need to keep some funds for the insurance etc.

- I had zero (non mortgage) debt until a few months ago when I was hit with an emergency. It left $11,000 on my LOC. Since then, I have been able to pay it down to $8000.00 but although I am optimistic, I don’t believe I can pay it off completely by the time I move.

So what should I do? My fiancé will of course support me while we wait for the AOS but I still feel my canadian finances are mine to deal with. Should I call my bank and let them know that I will be moving out of country and will they be able to help me form a temporary payment plan for the 3+ months when I am doing my AOS, if I am unable to work remotely? If I am able to work, I don’t have many problems since I'd be paid into my canadian account and can continue to pay down the debt. I'd actually would be able to pay it down much quicker, if that was the case. But in the chances I can’t work remotely I will need to figure out a way to organize this. I know what I owe and I want to pay it down. I would like to come back and visit my family on a frequent basis. I would not flee the country to not pay my debt. I’ve never missed or been late for a payment and don’t plan on doing so when I am in the US. I just want to figure out what is the most efficient and economical (without having to wire or transfer to a US bank etc and have fee’s galore) way to bridge my finances until I am back on my feet in the US.

TIA!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Read everything you can on this forum regarding Canadian Employment Insurance. When you leave your job in Canada, tell them that the reason you are leaving is to get married in the US. It is a valid reason which will allow you to collect EI. You will not get any EI payments until you get your EAD, but you have to file as soon as you move to the US.

My husband worked for a company with business in the US and Canada. They had their legal department look for any loophole that would allow him to continue to work, but couldn't find one. We thought he could continue to work and get paid into his Canadian bank account, but we were wrong. I didn't realize that he had to file for EI right after crossing the border, so he filed after he got his green card, and it cost him a couple weeks of pay. Soon after that, his former employer had a position for him working remotely.

Good luck

Sent I-129F: 3/19/2012
Approved at interview in Montreal: 3/4/2013

Married 6/29/2013

Filed AOS: 7/8/2013 and rejected because of a lost check!

Resubmitted and received by USCIS: 8/26/2013

RFE for expired I-865 received by USCIS: 9/5/2013

EAD and AP approved: 9/19/2013

EAD/AP card received: 9/27/2013

Status changed to "Testing and Interview": 10/2/2013

Appointment notice mailed: 10/10/2013

Interview appointment: 11/12/2013 *Approved!*

You will not be able to work, even remotely, until you get your EAD. There is no gray area here. The USA doesn't work like Canada in this area. You must have a work permit to be able to work no matter who you are working for (unless you were driving back to Canada to work everyday.) As for EI, file for the EI immediately before leaving Canada and you should get the first payment after they have proof you have your EAD.

Technically your debt, and thus your credit history, does not accompany you when you move. However, if you ever want to move back to Canada I suggest paying it off. Calling your bank is a great idea. Banks always prefer you continue paying vs not paying obviously.

You should talk to an accountant about your rental property and rrsps etc... There is a likelyhood you'll have to pay Canadian taxes on them so you'd have to continue to file Canadian tax returns? But I'm not sure about the details, which is why I suggest a good accountant.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Regarding paying off your bills and debt in the easiest way, this is what my wife and I did:

Before we left Canada we set up a joint, cross-border account at RBC that allows you to have a Canadian bank account and a US bank account. You get a Canadian debit card while you're there and once you move to the US, you call or go in and get your American Debit/Visa card combo. I pay $7 a month for both accounts, $4 from one and $3 from the other as basic maintenance fees. I had to cancel my Rogers cellphone plan, my cable, and I had two credit cards, and a SLOC.

I set up my bills and credit cards as payees on the Canadian account, and anytime I need to pay, the money my wife makes is transferred from RBC US to RBC Canada, it's unlimited transfers, and converts the money for you as well. It takes no more than one business day to show up in the Canadian side. I had an account with BMO that my credit cards were with and I closed that account down, and transferred any money I had into my RBC Canadian account before we left. I believe there is an initial deposit of $25 dollars and then you have a month to put $100 into your RBC US account so they know you're using it.

You also get Canadian/American cheques, which is where the issue of a SLOC/LOC comes into play. For whatever reason, some SLOC/LOC cannot be made into payees with RBC, they're just not registered in their system. So what I had to do was send in a void cheque to my old bank (BMO) and then have them set up a pre-authorized debit from my RBC Canada account to be taken out monthly. Depending on what bank you use, you may have to do that or you may be lucky and your institution is registered under RBC and can just be added as a payee.

RBC branches/PNC ATMS are what can be used to deposit/go into in the US, so you'd have to double check where the nearest ones are to you of course.

Just a suggestion! My wife has been supporting me financially and if we hadn't set up this account before we left (we thought we were going to have to move back and forth between countries before DOMA was passed, so this made our finances seem easier) I would have had a really tough time paying all my bills or having to send in a cheque every single month which is a pain. It also conveniently helps are case for proof of a bona fide marriage etc.

Read up on it here: http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/usbanking/access-usa-details.html

AOS:

Green Card Received in 168 Days

ROC

06/17/2016: ROC Mailed via USPS Express in Large Flate-Rate Box to Vermont Service Center (P.O. Box)

06/18/2016: ROC Delivered by USPS

06/22/2016: Check Cashed

06/24/2016: NOA1 Received Dated 06/20/2016

07/09/2016: ASC Appointment Notice Received Dated 07/02/2016 & Scheduled 07/21/2016

07/21/2016: Biometrics Successfully Completed (Birmingham)

05/18/2017: InfoPass Appointment - 1-Year Extension Stamp Received

06/06/2017: ROC Approval Letter Received Dated 05/30/2017

06/14/2017: Green Card Delivered!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You will not be able to work, even remotely, until you get your EAD. There is no gray area here. The USA doesn't work like Canada in this area. You must have a work permit to be able to work no matter who you are working for (unless you were driving back to Canada to work everyday.) As for EI, file for the EI immediately before leaving Canada and you should get the first payment after they have proof you have your EAD.

Can you point me to more information on that subject? The majority of posts and topics on that subject are of the opinion that working remotely is technically allowed if you it is a Canadian employer, paying in Canadian dollars to a Canadian account.

My current employer wants to keep me on staff, and all the research I did here, and on similar sites led me to the conclusion that's okay.

21 Sep 2013 - Filed i-129F

27 Nov - NOA2 email received (63 days since NOA1)

30 Jan 2014 - NOA2 sent to NVC (64 agonizing days) P.S. Apparently VJ doesn't care about accurate timelines.

11 Feb - Got Case number

24 Feb - Packet 3 Received and Submitted

25 Feb - Packet 4 Received and Submitted

29 Apr - Medical (Dr Cheema)

01 May - Vancouver Consulate Interview - Approved!

06 May - Visa in hand!

06 June - Entered the USA!

14 June - Married!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Check the dates of those posts. Even if they are recent posts, it could be somebody repeating what they read in an old post. I believe you used to be able to get a work authorization stamp from DHS when you crossed over with a K1 visa, but they don't do that anymore. I asked a very similar question to an online lawyer service because I truly thought that my husband's employer was just being stubborn. You can read their responses here: http://tinyurl.com/q2dv7ne

You stated in your original post that it's a gray area. I suppose in a court of law, everything's a gray area if you can afford to have an attorney make your case. From my research on the subject, it's not legal to work until you have your EAD, period.

Here's an article where two attorneys argue each side of the debate: http://www.ilw.com/articles/2012,0625-Paparelli.shtm

Oh, and another source would be my husband's employer. They're a worldwide company whose legal department handles work visas all day long. If it were legal, they would have found a way.

Trust me, I was completely livid when I found out that the "Canadian paycheck in a Canadian bank account" was misinformation. I really wish visajourney would take down those posts. It cost us a lot of money because we didn't find out until his employer said 'no' as he was getting ready to pack.

Edited by Amanda and Evan

Sent I-129F: 3/19/2012
Approved at interview in Montreal: 3/4/2013

Married 6/29/2013

Filed AOS: 7/8/2013 and rejected because of a lost check!

Resubmitted and received by USCIS: 8/26/2013

RFE for expired I-865 received by USCIS: 9/5/2013

EAD and AP approved: 9/19/2013

EAD/AP card received: 9/27/2013

Status changed to "Testing and Interview": 10/2/2013

Appointment notice mailed: 10/10/2013

Interview appointment: 11/12/2013 *Approved!*

I also looked it up when I first began the journey in curiosity. I can find some of the links later when I have a comp vs phone but the person above me has pointed out some for you already. It's a major advantage of the CR1 visa. You can work and travel asap. It takes longer to get the visa but usually it's significantly shorter to the green card by months, if not a year.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

RB USA allows you to direct deposit for US employers and also scan or take a photo of a check for deposit. I've done it a couple times. You can still do the direct deposit with the RB Canada account as well or mail your branch a cheque with your info on it for deposit.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know others here on VJ that have had a job back in Canada and moved to the USA on a K1 and worked remotely while in the USA....Don't know if it is legal or not, and VJ isn't probably a good resource on this issue

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I also looked it up when I first began the journey in curiosity. I can find some of the links later when I have a comp vs phone but the person above me has pointed out some for you already. It's a major advantage of the CR1 visa. You can work and travel asap. It takes longer to get the visa but usually it's significantly shorter to the green card by months, if not a year.

It's been argued both ways on here many times. Lawyers can't even agree on this topic, and the gov't refuses to clarify the legality on this exact issue, leaving it a 'grey area'. There aren't any reports of people getting into trouble for it, leaving me to believe that if you aren't taking a US job, then you've done nothing wrong.

http://www.nationofimmigrators.com/employment-based-immigration/immigration-lawyers-arguing-can-i-work-from-home-for-a-foreign-employer/

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/may-i-work-remotely--while-physically-inside-the-u-1365605.html

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's been argued both ways on here many times. Lawyers can't even agree on this topic, and the gov't refuses to clarify the legality on this exact issue, leaving it a 'grey area'. There aren't any reports of people getting into trouble for it, leaving me to believe that if you aren't taking a US job, then you've done nothing wrong.

The laws for the EAD are outdated and so working remotely wasn't an issue at the time the USCIS drafted the EAD language. And now it's a huge gray area because of that.

Simply put, I am pretty sure you cannot work at all in the US even remotely. This is because they don't want people just move here at random. It would be the same thing if a Canadian just simply one day living in say Windsor, decided, "Hey I'm going to want to live in Ann Arbor and just commute to my job in Windsor". You would be denied that request to live in the US. So waiting for an EAD is much the same thing, you are under a waiting period, but you cannot work.

Now the confusion is, who is monitoring it? Definitely not the USCIS, so that leads people to believe that it's legal as no one ever gets in trouble for it. And we all know once you get the GC, then any illegal entry issues etc are pardoned and that would mean any illegal working in the US would most likely get pardoned as well. Again leading many to believe that it's perfectly legal to work remotely.

So yes against the rules of the EAD, but the punishment for doing so is non-existent. So take that as you want...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just my opinion..keep it to urself, and all would be well.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I worked remotely, and I also travelled back and forth for business reasons, prior to receiving my GC. It's right there in the Advance Parole document. I also had it okayed at the local USCIS office. You're not taking a job, unauthorized, from an American so that's where the grey area comes in and what they are trying to guard against. There are a lot of people who will argue against this but there are just as many of us who have done it. You claim the income on both sides of the border but you'll need to read up on the tax treaty to see how to go about it.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I worked remotely, and I also travelled back and forth for business reasons, prior to receiving my GC. It's right there in the Advance Parole document. I also had it okayed at the local USCIS office. You're not taking a job, unauthorized, from an American so that's where the grey area comes in and what they are trying to guard against. There are a lot of people who will argue against this but there are just as many of us who have done it. You claim the income on both sides of the border but you'll need to read up on the tax treaty to see how to go about it.

Is it possible to PM you? :) I tried, but doesn't seem to work.

Technically your debt, and thus your credit history, does not accompany you when you move. However, if you ever want to move back to Canada I suggest paying it off. Calling your bank is a great idea. Banks always prefer you continue paying vs not paying obviously.

You should talk to an accountant about your rental property and rrsps etc... There is a likelyhood you'll have to pay Canadian taxes on them so you'd have to continue to file Canadian tax returns? But I'm not sure about the details, which is why I suggest a good accountant.

So once I leave my job to move with my fiancé I will be eligible to receive EI even though I will be living in the US? I did not know you could receive EI while you are out of the country.

Gingernugget

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.