Nahathai_Ike

I-131 Re-Entry Permit and Definition of "traveling outside the U.S."

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife considers applying the I-131 Re-Entry permit when she comes back from taking care of her mother abroad.

Based on the information that I gathered, she has to be physically inside the United States and remains "inside the United States" until she receives the notification to have her biometrics conducted at the USCIS office before she is allowed to travel outside the United States.

I plan to take my wife to Puerto Rico and American Samoa on works related matters after she comes back from taking care of her mom. I cannot reschedule my travel. So, I will need to tag her along with me. My question is: ---> Will these travels be considered "inside" or "outside" the United States? Puerto Rico and American Samoa are considered the insular areas of the United States.

(According to the definition:

An insular area is a United States territory that is neither a part of one of the 50 U.S. states nor the District of Columbia, the federal district of the U.S. Such areas are called "insular" from the Latin word insula ("island") because they were once administered by the War Department's Bureau of Insular Affairs, now the Office of Insular Affairs at the Department of the Interior.)

I do appreciate your time and response regarding this question. Thank you.

Edited by Nahathai_Ike

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife considers applying the I-131 Re-Entry permit when she comes back from taking care of her mother abroad.

Based on the information that I gathered, she has to be physically inside the United States and remains "inside the United States" until she receives the notification to have her biometrics conducted at the USCIS office before she is allowed to travel outside the United States.

I plan to take my wife to Puerto Rico and American Samoa on works related matters after she comes back from taking care of her mom. I cannot reschedule my travel. So, I will need to tag her along with me. My question is: ---> Will these travels be considered "inside" or "outside" the United States? Puerto Rico and American Samoa are considered the insular areas of the United States.

(According to the definition:

An insular area is a United States territory that is neither a part of one of the 50 U.S. states nor the District of Columbia, the federal district of the U.S. Such areas are called "insular" from the Latin word insula ("island") because they were once administered by the War Department's Bureau of Insular Affairs, now the Office of Insular Affairs at the Department of the Interior.)

I do appreciate your time and response regarding this question. Thank you.

What status does she have? Is she here on a 10 year green card? Why does she have a biometrics appointment?

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from CR-1 spousal visa to Travelling During US Immigration ******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thank you for your reply.

My wife has a 10-year green card with an IR-1 visa. However, due to the circumstances that she has to frequently travel outside the US and cannot temporary maintain residency requirement (> 6 months abroad) due to taking care of her parents, she might encounter the problems while coming back to the USA. (Right now, it is depending on the circumstances of the urgency, she has to go back abroad for a longer period. When she finds the relief, she will fly back to the US again.) This will be a continuation until the tragedies pass.

This is the reason why she will need to apply for the Re-Entry permit.

------------

However, the rules regarding the application of the Re-Entry permit, the applicant must be physically staying in the United States. (This means she cannot leave the USA until she finishes her biometrics.)

When she comes back from abroad next time, she will immediately submit the Re-Entry Permit application. However, within the next 4 days, she and I need to travel to Puerto Rico and American Samoa for the employment related.

That's why I would like to know the interpretation of the rules regarding the Re-Entry permit whether going to Puerto Rico and American Samoa, where they are the U.S. Territories, be considered as traveling "outside" or "inside" the United States.

She has the green card for over four (4) years now. This is not a CR-1 issue.

I hope I am clear on my explanation. If not, please kindly post the questions. All I need to know is whether the travel to the U.S. Territories is considered outside or inside the US. (I could not locate the answer anywhere.)

Thanks again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thank you for your reply.

My wife has a 10-year green card with an IR-1 visa. However, due to the circumstances that she has to frequently travel outside the US and cannot temporary maintain residency requirement (> 6 months abroad) due to taking care of her parents, she might encounter the problems while coming back to the USA. (Right now, it is depending on the circumstances of the urgency, she has to go back abroad for a longer period. When she finds the relief, she will fly back to the US again.) This will be a continuation until the tragedies pass.

This is the reason why she will need to apply for the Re-Entry permit.

------------

However, the rules regarding the application of the Re-Entry permit, the applicant must be physically staying in the United States. (This means she cannot leave the USA until she finishes her biometrics.)

When she comes back from abroad next time, she will immediately submit the Re-Entry Permit application. However, within the next 4 days, she and I need to travel to Puerto Rico and American Samoa for the employment related.

That's why I would like to know the interpretation of the rules regarding the Re-Entry permit whether going to Puerto Rico and American Samoa, where they are the U.S. Territories, be considered as traveling "outside" or "inside" the United States.

She has the green card for over four (4) years now. This is not a CR-1 issue.

I hope I am clear on my explanation. If not, please kindly post the questions. All I need to know is whether the travel to the U.S. Territories is considered outside or inside the US. (I could not locate the answer anywhere.)

Thanks again.

According to CBP you don't even need a passport to travel back and forth between American Samoa/Puerto Rico and the U.S. See below:

Needing a passport to enter the United States from U.S. territories

Will travelers from U.S. territories need to present a passport to enter the United States?

U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR's) who travel directly between parts of the United States, which includes Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), without touching at a foreign port or place, are not required to present a valid U.S. Passport or U.S. Green Card. However, it is recommended that travelers bring a government issued photo ID and copy of birth certificate.

Hawaii is a U.S. state and therefore passport documentation requirements do not apply.

Questions about requirements for domestic travel should be directed to Transportation Security Administration (TSA). TSA can be reached at 1-866-289-9673.

If you wish to receive automatic updates to this Q&A, select "Subscribe to Updates" on the left side of this screen.

Source:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/980/~/needing-a-passport-to-enter-the-united-states-from-u.s.-territories

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.