topoftherock2013

January 2014 AOS Filers

1,012 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Update for me - I got an RFE notification at 10.15pm last night (there is that time again!! lol). After reading comments on here I am guessing it must have something to do with the tax transcripts also. We only sent in the returns, not transcripts so I am going to order them online today. I initially said 'drats' but I am happy and grateful that they have sent this through now and not in 3 months time.

Pro tip: You can now download & print your own transcripts to save the waiting time - http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

USCIS received my packet last night at around 12amdancin5hr.gif . Now the official waiting games begin,

01/05/2013 - Sent duplicate I-129F packet

07/10/2013 - Received NOA2 email

07/22/2013 - NVC assigned number

08/12/2013 - Received Interview Date

09/13/2013 - Inteview Date (APPROVED)

10/30/2013 - US Arrival

11/29/2013 - Married

01/25/2014 - Filed I-485, I-131 & I-765

02/25/2014 - Biometrics

04/02/2014 - Received approval text for EAD/AP

04/10/2014 - Received EAD/AP card

Pro tip: You can now download & print your own transcripts to save the waiting time - http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

Hey aussie_jason! Thanks for that tip, I really appreciate it. I am looking on IRS website now, apparently this is a very recent thing. Would the USCIS accept it as I thought perhaps it might need to be on 'official' letterhead or something? (Officialdom always makes me paranoid..lol)

USCIS received my packet last night at around 12amdancin5hr.gif . Now the official waiting games begin,

Fantastic news Our Destiny...woohoo for you! kicking.gif

Timeline

Hey aussie_jason! Thanks for that tip, I really appreciate it. I am looking on IRS website now, apparently this is a very recent thing. Would the USCIS accept it as I thought perhaps it might need to be on 'official' letterhead or something? (Officialdom always makes me paranoid..lol)

It is exactly the same thing that the IRS would print and send you, they don't put it on an official letterhead or stamp it at all so downloading the transcript will save you at least a week of waiting and yes this is a very recent development.

It is exactly the same thing that the IRS would print and send you, they don't put it on an official letterhead or stamp it at all so downloading the transcript will save you at least a week of waiting and yes this is a very recent development.

Awesome, thanks very much. Have a great day!

Question folks. If I submitted tax transcripts from my joint sponsor, do I also need to submit w2's?

Hi Royo1 :) Yes, you will need to show proof of income, which is the W2. If income and assets were used, you will need both the W2 and proof of assets. Additionally letters from employers and pay stubs also support the current income requirements of sponsors.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

has anyone receipt number start with a MSC? And was it sent to the National Benefits Center??

01/05/2013 - Sent duplicate I-129F packet

07/10/2013 - Received NOA2 email

07/22/2013 - NVC assigned number

08/12/2013 - Received Interview Date

09/13/2013 - Inteview Date (APPROVED)

10/30/2013 - US Arrival

11/29/2013 - Married

01/25/2014 - Filed I-485, I-131 & I-765

02/25/2014 - Biometrics

04/02/2014 - Received approval text for EAD/AP

04/10/2014 - Received EAD/AP card

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Dominica
Timeline

has anyone receipt number start with a MSC? And was it sent to the National Benefits Center??

yes. Most of us here I believe

Hi Royo1 :) Yes, you will need to show proof of income, which is the W2. If income and assets were used, you will need both the W2 and proof of assets. Additionally letters from employers and pay stubs also support the current income requirements of sponsors.

ok. Because I found this........

My joint sponsor thinks I don't need w2 if I have transcripts. :( :(

(1) Federal Tax Returns .

Each sponsor must submit either a transcript or a copy of his or her most recent US. Federal individual income tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ), including all Schedules filed with the IRS. If the sponsor submits a copy of the tax return, he or she must also include copies of any and all IRS Forms W-2 and 1099 that reflect income used to qualify. The second note under paragraph 20.5(e)(2) provides guidance regarding what to do if a W-2 or 1099 is missing. Note, however, that it is not necessary to sub mit the Forms W-2 or 1099 if a transcript, rather than a copy, of the tax return is submitted. State or foreign income tax returns are not acceptable; if submitted, they must be returned to the intending immigrant.

The sponsor must submit with the Form I-864 the sponsors U.S. Federal income tax return for the most recent tax year (that is, the completed tax year immediately preceding the date the sponsor signs the Form I-864). USCIS may generally expect a sponsor, after April 15 of any given year (or April 16 or 17, in a year in which April 15 is on a Saturday or Sunday), to have completed his or her tax return for the previous year. If the sponsor requested an extension, the sponsor should provide proof of filing fo r the extension. If the sponsor did not file a tax return, the sponsor must prove that he or she was not required to file. If a sponsor should have filed, the sponsor must file retroactively and provide proof of filing. Note that U.S. citizens generally have an obligation to file a tax return on non-U.S. earnings even if there was no tax liability.

Edited by Royo1

Yes, the National Benefits Center goes to Missouri, hence the MSC :) As far as I know, everyone's case begins with that per AOSing.

(1) Federal Tax Returns .

Each sponsor must submit either a transcript or a copy of his or her most recent US. Federal individual income tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ), including all Schedules filed with the IRS. If the sponsor submits a copy of the tax return, he or she must also include copies of any and all IRS Forms W-2 and 1099 that reflect income used to qualify. The second note under paragraph 20.5(e)(2) provides guidance regarding what to do if a W-2 or 1099 is missing. Note, however, that it is not necessary to sub mit the Forms W-2 or 1099 if a transcript, rather than a copy, of the tax return is submitted. State or foreign income tax returns are not acceptable; if submitted, they must be returned to the intending immigrant.

The sponsor must submit with the Form I-864 the sponsors U.S. Federal income tax return for the most recent tax year (that is, the completed tax year immediately preceding the date the sponsor signs the Form I-864). USCIS may generally expect a sponsor, after April 15 of any given year (or April 16 or 17, in a year in which April 15 is on a Saturday or Sunday), to have completed his or her tax return for the previous year. If the sponsor requested an extension, the sponsor should provide proof of filing fo r the extension. If the sponsor did not file a tax return, the sponsor must prove that he or she was not required to file. If a sponsor should have filed, the sponsor must file retroactively and provide proof of filing. Note that U.S. citizens generally have an obligation to file a tax return on non-U.S. earnings even if there was no tax liability.

Yes, it most certainly states one or the other re transcripts and returns, however here on VJ people are getting rfe's to contradict that. It seems the best thing to do from the get-go. Did you get an RFE requesting the W2 specifically? I am waiting to see what my RFE is for because I only sent the return with the W2, I am only guessing they needed the transcript but it might be for something else all together....watching for the mail person to arrive...lol

Timeline

Yes, it most certainly states one or the other re transcripts and returns, however here on VJ people are getting rfe's to contradict that. It seems the best thing to do from the get-go. Did you get an RFE requesting the W2 specifically? I am waiting to see what my RFE is for because I only sent the return with the W2, I am only guessing they needed the transcript but it might be for something else all together....watching for the mail person to arrive...lol

considering the fact that I failed to put proof that my joint sponsor was a citizen, it could have been that. But they asked for the returns. And I did send the transcripts. Lol I wish they would not be so vague

considering the fact that I failed to put proof that my joint sponsor was a citizen, it could have been that. But they asked for the returns. And I did send the transcripts. Lol I wish they would not be so vague

Oh yes, the citizenship info could be it. If you did send the transcripts and now they are asking for the returns, a W2 would be required (going by your previous post). You are right, very vague. I wish they would email us the RFE's so we could jump on what is required...great that we can get tax transcripts online now though, that saves a lot of time... smile.png

Edited by CJC

Timeline

Oh yes, the citizenship info could be it. If you did send the transcripts and now they are asking for the returns, a W2 would be required (going by your previous post). You are right, very vague. I wish they would email us the RFE's so we could jump on what is required...great that we can get tax transcripts online now though, that saves a lot of time... smile.png

yes. I saw that today. Saves about 2 weeks lol. I have never consumed so much coffee. Smh. Lol not that I hate it:)

Timeline

All you should need to provide for an I-864 is:

- Past year's transcripts downloaded and printed from the IRS - http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript (everyone can do this and it is quick & easy)

- Proof of current employment - Your last few pay slips should be sufficient and/or you can also include a letter from your employer confirming your employment and how much you earn

- Proof of citizenship

The reasons people are getting RFE's include:

- Forgetting proof of citizenship

- Providing copies of their tax returns but not also the W2's (note: W2's are required when providing the tax returns but not with the transcripts)

- Claiming an amount on their I-864 that doesn't match their supporting IRS paper work

The RFE they issue for this is a boilerplate letter that is generic and doesn't mention the specific problem, however when replying to an RFE you should always provide everything they could possibly want.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.