Gage

Russian wife visiting Russia with our daughter

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I imagine someone has been through this before, so I'm hoping to get some guidance on our situation. My wife is Russian, and holds a valid U.S. Green Card. This summer our oldest daughter (who will be 4) will be traveling to Russia for the first time with my wife to visit family. She was born in the U.S. so will be traveling with a U.S. passport. My primary question concerns whether our daughter needs a Russia tourist visa in her U.S. passport. My wife states the Russian Consulate told her that it's not necessary since we had our daughter's name and photo put in my wife's Russian passport when she was about a year old. She says this establishes our daughter also holds Russian citizenship, and thus she won't need a tourist visa to enter Russia.

The entire thing sounds a little shakey to me. I can't find any evidence of this sort of allowance on the Russian Consulate website. I'm thinking our daughter wouldn't be allowed in without a tourist visa or a Russian passport. Anyone else have experience on this?

February 2008: Met while in Thailand

March 2008: Traveled to Russia to see her

May 2008: Traveled to Russia to see her

June 2008: Joint vacation to Italy

July 2008: Applied for and received B-2 tourist visa

August 2008: She comes to U.S. on B-2/ I proposed

October 2008: Traveled to Russia to see her and meet family

November 11, 2008: Filed for K-1, California Service Center

November 19, 2008: I-797 NOA1 received

December 2008: Went back to see her again

January 21, 2009: NOA2 received

January 29, 2009: Notice file sent to Embassy received

February 4, 2009: She comes to U.S. on B-2 for vacation in Hawaii

March 2, 2009: She receives notice of interview date and time

April 7, 2009: Interview in Moscow - Approved!

May 29, 2009: She arrives!

June 15, 2009: Applied for SS card

June 19, 2009: SS card received

August 14, 2009: Got married in Florida

Sept. 15, 2009: Sent AOS packet with I-485, I-765, and I-131

Sept. 22, 2009: Notice package received

Oct. 23, 2009: Notice received that I-485 had been transferred to CSC

Oct. 23, 2009: Notice received that application for travel (I-131) had been approved

Oct. 28, 2009: Advanced parole documents received

Nov. 20, 2009: Biometrics appointment received

Dec. 3, 2009: Biometrics Appointment

Dec. 29, 2009: Green Card and EAD approved and cards ordered (a little late on the EAD, but we'll take it)

Jan. 5, 2010: Green Card received

September 1, 2011: Filed I-751 for removal of conditions

April 2, 2012: Removal of conditions approved w/o interview, 10 year GC in the mail!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

As far as I know, children of Russian citizens are also Russian citizens. If she had the daughter put into her passport, then the daughter does not need the US passport at all (or any passport at least going to Russia, she would need it to come back to the US). The wife will enter on her Russian passport and it will have the daughter in there, so the daughter can also enter.

1/4/13 - I129-F Sent | 1/8/13 - Received by USCIS
1/10/13 - NOA1 to VSC | 1/11/13 - Text/Email | 1/17/13 - Hard Copy Received
1/16/13 - Alien Registration Number changed
5/24/13 or 5/29/13 - Case Transferred to TSC
7/2/13 - NOA2 from TSC! (173 days from NOA1) | 7/6/13 - Hard Copy Received
7/18/13 - Shipped to NVC | 7/26/13 - Received at NVC and case number assigned
7/29/13 - In transit to consulate | 7/31/13 - Received by consulate
8/20/13 - Medical - Passed | 8/21/13 - Interview - Approved!
8/28/13 - Passport with visa ready to pickup from courier
10/17/13 - POE - JFK
10/28/13 - Applied for SSN and marriage license | 11/2/13 - SS card received
11/21/13 - Wedding

12/30/13 - I485/I765/I131 Sent | 1/2/14 - Received by USCIS
1/3/14 - NOA1 to NBC | 1/16/14 - Hard Copy Received
2/4/14 - Biometrics
3/7/14 - AP and EAD approved!
3/11/14 - AP/EAD card mailed | 3/14/14 - Received
4/10/14 - Interview Waiver letter
6/16/14 - Approved! | 6/21/14 - GC Received

5/2/16 - I-751 Sent | 5/5/16 - Received by USCIS
5/6/16 - NOA1 to VSC
6/14/16 - Biometrics

4/19/17 - Approved! | 4/22/17 - Letter received | 5/4/17 - GC Received

Timeline

When your wife had your daughter put in her passport, I'm assuming that she also went through the process to register your daughter as a Russian Citizen. That's the only way I am aware that a child could be written into the parent's passport. If that is the case, then it is indeed possible for your daughter to travel with your wife using your wife's passport. You should also have a birth certificate for your daughter with an attachment that states that she is a Russian Citizen. You wouldn't necessarily need the birth certificate for travel, but it should exist. It's also possible to get an individual international Russian passport for your daughter if you want it. This is nice in the case that your wife and daughter aren't going to travel together, but is unnecessary if they are going to be together.

A couple things should be taken into consideration. First, your daughter should leave the US and re-enter the US using her US passport. However, to leave and enter Russia she will just use your wife's passport with your daughter written in. Second, in order for her to travel internationally, she will need a letter from you stating that you are okay with it. This is often enforced in Russia when she would try to leave. If she doesn't have this permission from you, she wouldn't be able to leave Russia with your daughter. This doesn't really make much sense when you consider that you are American in America, but they don't know that. They just assume you are a Russian in Russia and the wife is trying to steal your kid.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I imagine someone has been through this before, so I'm hoping to get some guidance on our situation. My wife is Russian, and holds a valid U.S. Green Card. This summer our oldest daughter (who will be 4) will be traveling to Russia for the first time with my wife to visit family. She was born in the U.S. so will be traveling with a U.S. passport. My primary question concerns whether our daughter needs a Russia tourist visa in her U.S. passport. My wife states the Russian Consulate told her that it's not necessary since we had our daughter's name and photo put in my wife's Russian passport when she was about a year old. She says this establishes our daughter also holds Russian citizenship, and thus she won't need a tourist visa to enter Russia.

The entire thing sounds a little shakey to me. I can't find any evidence of this sort of allowance on the Russian Consulate website. I'm thinking our daughter wouldn't be allowed in without a tourist visa or a Russian passport. Anyone else have experience on this?

Your daughter is a dual citizen. Nothing shaky about it. She does not need a visa to visit a country she is a citizen of. Upon entering Russia your wife can present BOTH the child's US passport and her passport listing the child. When she returns she needs to present the child's passport for entry into the US. Dual citizens MUST present their US passport when entering the US.

Russia, and Ukraine, do not issue international passports to children. They are listed in a parent's passport. You cannot be listed in a passport without demonstrating citizenship, as the child of a Russian citizen she is a Russian citizen regardless where she is born (The USA has the same rule)

SMR's advice is spot on.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Don't tell your wife... but she was right.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Your daughter is a dual citizen. Nothing shaky about it. She does not need a visa to visit a country she is a citizen of. Upon entering Russia your wife can present BOTH the child's US passport and her passport listing the child. When she returns she needs to present the child's passport for entry into the US. Dual citizens MUST present their US passport when entering the US.

Russia, and Ukraine, do not issue international passports to children. They are listed in a parent's passport. You cannot be listed in a passport without demonstrating citizenship, as the child of a Russian citizen she is a Russian citizen regardless where she is born (The USA has the same rule)

SMR's advice is spot on.

I don't know about Ukraine, but Russia does in fact issue international passports to children if you want one. My son has a Russian international passport (he is 3). Basically, you can chose to have a separate passport issue for the child or you can have the child written into the parent's passport. The separate passport has the advantage of individual travel. The child in the parent's passport is cheaper in terms of issuing and renewing the passport.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I don't know about Ukraine, but Russia does in fact issue international passports to children if you want one. My son has a Russian international passport (he is 3). Basically, you can chose to have a separate passport issue for the child or you can have the child written into the parent's passport. The separate passport has the advantage of individual travel. The child in the parent's passport is cheaper in terms of issuing and renewing the passport.

Ukraine does too. You have to apply to get a separate passport for the child and list a reason as to why you want the child to have a separate passport (traveling without the parent is a valid reason).

Ukraine does not recognize dual citizenship though, so if you have a child and he's a US citizen, then he won't be a Ukrainian citizen. I don't know if you can just add the child to the parent's passport anyways and forget to mention the US citizenship. You don't need a visa to go to Ukraine though.

1/4/13 - I129-F Sent | 1/8/13 - Received by USCIS
1/10/13 - NOA1 to VSC | 1/11/13 - Text/Email | 1/17/13 - Hard Copy Received
1/16/13 - Alien Registration Number changed
5/24/13 or 5/29/13 - Case Transferred to TSC
7/2/13 - NOA2 from TSC! (173 days from NOA1) | 7/6/13 - Hard Copy Received
7/18/13 - Shipped to NVC | 7/26/13 - Received at NVC and case number assigned
7/29/13 - In transit to consulate | 7/31/13 - Received by consulate
8/20/13 - Medical - Passed | 8/21/13 - Interview - Approved!
8/28/13 - Passport with visa ready to pickup from courier
10/17/13 - POE - JFK
10/28/13 - Applied for SSN and marriage license | 11/2/13 - SS card received
11/21/13 - Wedding

12/30/13 - I485/I765/I131 Sent | 1/2/14 - Received by USCIS
1/3/14 - NOA1 to NBC | 1/16/14 - Hard Copy Received
2/4/14 - Biometrics
3/7/14 - AP and EAD approved!
3/11/14 - AP/EAD card mailed | 3/14/14 - Received
4/10/14 - Interview Waiver letter
6/16/14 - Approved! | 6/21/14 - GC Received

5/2/16 - I-751 Sent | 5/5/16 - Received by USCIS
5/6/16 - NOA1 to VSC
6/14/16 - Biometrics

4/19/17 - Approved! | 4/22/17 - Letter received | 5/4/17 - GC Received

Timeline

Ukraine issues internal passports to children yes. International passports NO. I was not clear about that. For children age 14-18 they can get a "travel, document" that looks exactly like a passport and can be used for international travel but it is not a "zagranpassport"

Ukraine requires the permission of BOTH parents to issue this travel document for children under age 16 OR a letter from one of the parents allowing the other to agree to it.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Ukraine does too. You have to apply to get a separate passport for the child and list a reason as to why you want the child to have a separate passport (traveling without the parent is a valid reason).

Ukraine does not recognize dual citizenship though, so if you have a child and he's a US citizen, then he won't be a Ukrainian citizen. I don't know if you can just add the child to the parent's passport anyways and forget to mention the US citizenship. You don't need a visa to go to Ukraine though.

Ukraine issues a travel document for children under 18. we did this with Pasha as being listed in Alla's passport meant he always needed to travel with her. That became an issue as he got older.

Ukraine does not allow dual citizenship but currently does not enforce the law to any degree. And you do not need a visa, true.

Pasha is a US citizen now and has a US passport. Just bear in mind that he also has a Ukraine birth certiuficate and Ukraine internal passport and Ukraine draft deferrment...so who will not issue him a Ukraine passport? whistling.gif

A Ukrainian can also enter Russia with just an internal passport (for now anyway)

Gary And Alla

Timeline

My experience is the same. Olya's two children both arrived here with their international russian passports. Lera was only 2 at the time. Soon they will all have their blue American passports but I am sure that they will someday be glad to have that red memento from their past.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.