Jump to content

New to this website, and need some help!


8 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

First off, I would like to wish everybody happy new year!!!

I am very new to this web site, and I don't know anything about the process of getting a green care or whatsoever.

I am here on a student visa(F-1), which is going to expire on the Nov.29 2014.

I am engaged to an American, and we want to get married in 2014, also we both want to live in America.

I want to get a green card before my F-1 visa expires, but I have no clue what I need to do to get a green card.

First, I called the attorney, and they were kind of expensive, and they said It is hard to get a green card on your own, so better to get a lawyer.

The overall charge was about $3600(lawrence holmes attorney law firm)

I have two questions.

1. How hard is it to get a green card from my status, on a student visa?

2. If it is not too hard, what are the steps that I need to do?

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You don't need to go through the lawyers if you have a straight forward case.

Follow this guide here.


Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada

~~Duplicate thread merged and thread moved to Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas , from Direct Consular Filing (DCF) General Discussion~~


Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agreed, no lawyer needed. Follow the guide that was linked above and ask your questions here. Start building and keeping all proof of a bonafide relationship for evidence at your interview if needed. IE: e-mails, letters, phone call logs, photos of the two of you, wedding photos and cards from friends and family, joint bank account, joint lease, joint anything.

Good Luck!

Edited by Teddy B
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like what Teddy B said, as long as you guys have all proof of a bonafide relationship, you should be able to get green card without problems.

Straight forward case ---> no big age difference, no illegal entry to US, no criminal record.. etc

And you would have interview for the green card application since you are adjusting status from F1.

So start building and collecting all relationship evidence.

The processing time could be checked from here:


Edited by Merrytooth

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

By now, I hope you've studied the guides and realized this -- but one thing the other posters did not explicitly state is that YOU cannot file for and get a green card. Your now fiancé will need to do that after you are married and you can file for adjustment of status. So, the only thing you need to do right now is study, plan a wedding, and then nag your new husband about filing paperwork!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...