acha

Please Help!! Questions for N-400 Jan 2014

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I will be filing under 5yrs permanent resident Jan 2014 and have a few questions to clarify:

1) I had missed filing 2011 taxes (my husband forgot) but I filied them this year in 2013, so I'm clear on all my taxes now.

There is a question in for N-400 part 10 #4 Have you ever failed to file taxes since becoming a lawful permanent resident? Yes /no .

I'm assuming this I will have to check as yes, will it affect my naturalization? Is it safer to file through a lawyer? It also says explain why with supporting documents. But its just that my husband forgot to file it and I dont have supporting docs.

2) Do I require transcripts for past 5yrs as I spoke to a lawyer who said its not neccessary and I can carry my paperwork for the interview but I want to be sure.

3) I have my state ID to show proof of 3 months stay within the state. Is that acceptable for of I.D as I still have to renew my drivers license which is from another state.

4) For filing out info about spouse and kids, even though I'm applying under 5yr rule I'm assuming I still need to fill all that info out?

5) My husband and I don't have kids of our own yet but I have step kids who live with their mother. Do I enter the step kids names under section 9 or is it pertaining just to your biological kids?

Section H Oath requirements -

Does one usually select all as a Yes?

Employer info Section 6B
I have been a freelancer/self employed since 5yrs. Do I just write self-emplyed for a 5yrs date period and then write the previous 3 employers info before that?

Is it safer to file through a lawyer?

thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Except your question # 3 - The state id is sufficient for an address proof, rest of your questions definitely requires an experienced attorney to solve those complications on your N400 filing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I will be filing under 5yrs permanent resident Jan 2014 and have a few questions to clarify:

1) I had missed filing 2011 taxes (my husband forgot) but I filied them this year in 2013, so I'm clear on all my taxes now.

There is a question in for N-400 part 10 #4 Have you ever failed to file taxes since becoming a lawful permanent resident? Yes /no .

I'm assuming this I will have to check as yes, will it affect my naturalization? Is it safer to file through a lawyer? It also says explain why with supporting documents. But its just that my husband forgot to file it and I dont have supporting docs.

I think you can say No since you have filed it now (but I am not sure about this - please ask the experts)

2) Do I require transcripts for past 5yrs as I spoke to a lawyer who said its not neccessary and I can carry my paperwork for the interview but I want to be sure.

Yes you will need them(they might never ask but it is safer to have it in hand than not especially since you missed one year and filed it later). It is easy and free to get from the irs website.

3) I have my state ID to show proof of 3 months stay within the state. Is that acceptable for of I.D as I still have to renew my drivers license which is from another state.

No issues with the state id

4) For filing out info about spouse and kids, even though I'm applying under 5yr rule I'm assuming I still need to fill all that info out?

Yes

5) My husband and I don't have kids of our own yet but I have step kids who live with their mother. Do I enter the step kids names under section 9 or is it pertaining just to your biological kids?

No. These are about your kids and not step kids

Section H Oath requirements -

Does one usually select all as a Yes?

Yes

Employer info Section 6B

I have been a freelancer/self employed since 5yrs. Do I just write self-emplyed for a 5yrs date period and then write the previous 3 employers info before that?

Just the five years should be enough and there is no issue if you give the previous employers too. But they are just looking for the past five years

Is it safer to file through a lawyer?

Your case seems to be a straight forward case. I would not waste money on the lawyer. You just need answer for your first question which I think you will get in one of these forums.

thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Guys, let us creat a thread for Jan 2014 filer, i will have to apply in Jan 2014 "this month" as well.

i do not know how to creat it, so someone plz do it for us.

Edited by AboSohaila

How do i prove that i have be physically staying in the US for the last period. I just have my Green card, thats all what i have., is there anything else?

You don't need to prove anything, just fill out the relevant section of the N-400 form to tell them you took no trips outside of the USA since you became a permanent resident. If you had, there would be entry stamps in your passport on the date(s) you re-entered the country. If you didn't take any trips outside of the US, then you won't have any re-entry stamps. Don't worry about it.

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

You don't need to prove anything, just fill out the relevant section of the N-400 form to tell them you took no trips outside of the USA since you became a permanent resident. If you had, there would be entry stamps in your passport on the date(s) you re-entered the country. If you didn't take any trips outside of the US, then you won't have any re-entry stamps. Don't worry about it.

Thanks a lot

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.