April-n-Gary

Getting ready to file AOS for K-1, need a warm fuzzy

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm getting ready to send in our package to file the AOS for our K-1 visa. Here's the contents of our package, can you experts take a look and see if it seems complete?

1) I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

a. Copy of Non US Citizen Spouses Passport biographical page.

b. Copy of Non US Citizen Spouses K-1 Visa and entry stamp.

c. Copy of NOA2 Approval for I-129F.

d. Copy of I-94 (Electronic)

e. Copy of Immigrant’s birth certificate.

f. Certified copy of Marriage certificate.

g. G325A w/additional Sheet for employment history.

h. 2 passport photos

i. DS-3025, Vaccination Document Worksheet, in lieu of I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status for K-1 filers with in 1 year of overseas medical examination.

j. I-864 Affidavit of Support w/ tax transcripts for CY 2012, 2011, and 2010.

2) I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.

a. Copy of I-94 (Electronic)

b. Copy of Non US Citizen Spouses Passport biographical page.

c. 2 passport photos.

3) I-131, Application for Travel Document.

a. Copy of I-94 (Electronic)

b. Copy of Non US Citizen Spouses Passport biographical page.

c. 2 passport photos.

4) G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance.

And of course a check for $1070

Aloha and Mahalo in advance!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think you need part 1 of the I-693 too in addition to the DS-3025

K1 Journey AOS Journey

I-129f sent - 2013/02/27 I-485 sent - 2013/12/17

NOA1 - 2013/03/05 NOA- 2013/12/24

NOA2 -2013/07/09 (126 days (4 months and 4 days) from NoA1) Biometrics- 2014/01/22 at Metairie, LA

Packet 3 mailed - 2013/08/02 NOA - Approved!!! 2014/08/28

Packet 4 received - 2013/08/12

Interview scheduled -2013/09/11

POE - 2013/09/20 (By car at Highgate/Vermont)

I think you need part 1 of the I-693 too in addition to the DS-3025

This is incorrect. As long as the DS-3025 is complete and is within a year of filing, you only need to send off DS-3025 as per the I-485/I-693 instructions. Page 1 of the I-693 is only if your vaccination record is incomplete, you need more shots and you need it transcribed to an I-693 by a civil surgeon. It may be worth printing out one of these and highlighting it, including it in your AOS package in case you get an adjudicator who isn't familiar with this. I know of other people who did so and got approved without RFE and we intend to as well when we send ours next month.

I-485 instructions

"If you were admitted as a:

a. K-1 fiancé(e) or a K-2 child of a K-1 fiancé(e); or as a
b. K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen or a K-4 child of a K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen; and
c. You received a medical examination prior to admission, then:
3. What if I am a K nonimmigrant visa holder and already had a medical exam overseas?
(1)
You are not required to have another medical examination as long as your Form I-485 is filed within one year of
your overseas medical examination, and the medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition, or
if you did have a Class A medical condition, you received a waiver of inadmissibility and have complied with
the terms and conditions on the waiver.
(2)
Even if a new medical examination is not required, you must still show proof that you complied with the
vaccination requirements. If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included as part
of the original overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the vaccination report completed by
a designated civil surgeon. In this case, you are required to submit the vaccination record and page 1 of Form
I-693."
I-693 instructions
"

C.
Fiancé(e)s:
If you are a K-1 fiancé(e) or K-2
dependent who had a medical examination within the
past year as required for the nonimmigrant fiancé(e)
visa, you only need to submit a vaccination supplement,
not the entire medical report. You may include the
vaccination supplement with your Form I-485."
Edited by QueenOfBlades

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It is also incorrect because no one should simply include part of an I-693 with their AOS paperwork. You need to have a civil surgeon fill out and sign the I-693 for you, or you do not include it at all. Page 1 and the vaccinations page are required for someone adjusting from a K-1 that had their medical within the year before filing, IF you did not have all your vaccinations marked off on a properly filled out DS-3025 at the time of your K-1 medical.. Nich-Nick has always explained this better than anyone > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/428381-i-693-report-of-medical-examination-and-vaccination-report/?p=6206232

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ah well, then I did it wrong. hope it won't cause me problems.

K1 Journey AOS Journey

I-129f sent - 2013/02/27 I-485 sent - 2013/12/17

NOA1 - 2013/03/05 NOA- 2013/12/24

NOA2 -2013/07/09 (126 days (4 months and 4 days) from NoA1) Biometrics- 2014/01/22 at Metairie, LA

Packet 3 mailed - 2013/08/02 NOA - Approved!!! 2014/08/28

Packet 4 received - 2013/08/12

Interview scheduled -2013/09/11

POE - 2013/09/20 (By car at Highgate/Vermont)

I'm sure you'll be fine, at worst you'll just get an RFE. I imagine at that point, your overseas medical -may- be outside of the year. If it is, go to a civil surgeon, get them to do a new medical and the I-693 for you. If your overseas medical is within a year at that point, send a copy of your DS-3025. Don't send anything now though, it'll more than likely just get lost.

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Filed: Timeline

I am just now at this time looking into what is required for the AOS paperwork. My fiancé' and her 2 kids should be here in a couple of months.

One thing that I noticed is that on the USCIS website for I-485 Documentation is a line Item "Copy of your government issued photo ID". My interpretation is that they are requesting a US government issued photo ID. In my mind I was planning to use a copy of a Driver's License that she will have in short time. I'm not sure, any other input would be appreciated.

I have not determined if something would be required for the minors.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Those in the past that included an incomplete I-693 without ever seeing a civil surgeon were sent an RFE to go to an actual civil surgeon and get the I-693 filled out properly. You will need to find one that will not insist on giving you a whole new medical if that happens.

I am just now at this time looking into what is required for the AOS paperwork. My fiancé' and her 2 kids should be here in a couple of months.

One thing that I noticed is that on the USCIS website for I-485 Documentation is a line Item "Copy of your government issued photo ID". My interpretation is that they are requesting a US government issued photo ID. In my mind I was planning to use a copy of a Driver's License that she will have in short time. I'm not sure, any other input would be appreciated.

I have not determined if something would be required for the minors.

Copy of the biographical page in her passport works just fine. You have to copy the K-1 visa from the passport anyway. I do not actually see any line item on the USCIS I-485 website page or in the I-485 instructions that reads, "Copy of your government issued photo ID" though.

I'm sure you'll be fine, at worst you'll just get an RFE. I imagine at that point, your overseas medical -may- be outside of the year. If it is, go to a civil surgeon, get them to do a new medical and the I-693 for you. If your overseas medical is within a year at that point, send a copy of your DS-3025. Don't send anything now though, it'll more than likely just get lost.

You do not need to get a new medical if the year passes while waiting for your case to be adjudicated. The K-1 medical had to take place within a year of filing for AOS. They will not be able to just send a copy of the DS-3025 at that point though. Since they sent the I-693, that form will supersede the K-1 medical forms and they will be instructed to provide a properly filled out I-693. They will need to see a civil surgeon if they get an RFE. This has happened to others in the past that just sent part of an I-693 without ever going to a civil surgeon.

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.