Spruu

Visiting US for second time under VWP

67 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Portugal
Timeline

From a Fellow Portuguese, at your POE just be honest, be relaxed and have all your flight plans in your hand. I have been traveling to the US since 2010 and all the time they were nice and when they asked me about what i was doing in the US I always told them I was going to visit my boyfriend (first time), my fiancé (second time), on third time no questions asked (got married that last time). I guess all depends on who's making the questions. I actually was advised not to travel there this time due to the fact i had a spouse visa process going on.

Just be "calm".

As it was advised here I shorten up my trip. I was excited for this trip just like the first time. However it didn't go like everyone was planning.

However, when I was about to board in Frankfurt, Germany, on my way to Washington DC they didn't let me go.

The Lufthansa Star Alliance lady called an immigration officer and he made me a ####### tone of questions in front of -everyone-. What I mean by -everyone- is that, all this happened in front of the boarding gate, where people who were boarding along with other airlines assistants and security officers could hear and see everything and, by consequence, I cried like a baby because of the immigration officer.

For some reason he seemed pretty convinced I was going to the US to look for a job, when I wasn't, and I'm not. He seemed to have his mind already set to deny me. I even handed him a letter of a job interview that I have in Lisbon, Portugal (where I reside) as proof that I do not intend to travel to the US for a job. It happens that he ->declined<- seeing such letter and simply told me " There's no need for that, I'm sorry ma'am but I can't let you go on this plane". A few minutes later I got an e-mail with my ESTA status update to " Travel Not Authorized".

The security officer, who payed attention to what was happening next to the boarding gate, asked me what happened exactly and he also was confused, and kind of speechless, about what happened and he even apologized for not being there to help me. The other people who helped me, I told them exactly what happened and they also didn't understand why the immigration officer declined me boarding in the plane.

I had assistance from the counselor of the Lufthansa Star Alliance on what to do due after what happened. Even had assistance from janitors from the airport, along with boarding assistants that were in their break, or about to go to work, who let me use their phone lines so I could contact my boyfriend along with family. Then I went to the United Airlines to get a trip back home for the next day.

I already reported the situation to the DHS-TRIP to find out exactly the reason why I got denied boarding, along with ESTA revoked from further use where the process is already under investigation and, I already have a scheduled interview in the US Embassy in Lisbon for a Tourist Visa (B2) for next week.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Let us how the interview goes, first time I have heard of someone being refused prior to boarding.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Let us how the interview goes, first time I have heard of someone being refused prior to boarding.

Will do.

When I told my boyfriend about what happened he immediately called Homeland Security to know if these cases are normal and if there was something I could do. They told him that I just had to fill a report at DHS-TRIP telling everything that happened so they could investigate the case. After this he called the CBP and the US Embassy as well. He pretty much called everyone to know the procedures I could take in order to demystify the reason of such denial.

From the website of the DHS-TRIP, the automatic message after searching the status on my case provides two possibilities and they are 1) incorrect information or 2) mistaken identity. (probably the most common ones)

This happened on the 22nd of this month (January) and I already have a scheduled interview at the US Embassy in Lisbon, Portugal to get a B2 Visa. I will be taking with me the copy of the report I made along with the signed document after submitting the report as proof that something happened, along with the letter I got for a job interview where my presence is mandatory, medical appointments that I refuse to miss ( I need them) along with two declarations of two people who -want- to sponsor my return to California, both my boyfriend and his mother.

*crossing fingers*

Timeline

You can not sponsor a visitor visa.

So the plan is that your BF will move to Portugal, what do you have in the way of evidence, that could help.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Exactly.

I have evidence that two people are willing to cover my costs.

I'm sorry but there might be something lost in translation since I'm Portuguese and English is my second language.

It is possible to show that someone will cover your costs, but it makes your case much more weak. The fact that people in the US are willing to pay for you to be there, makes it seem less and less likely that you could return to Portugal to work.

If you are an international traveler, in most cases you should be able to pay for it yourself.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

It is possible to show that someone will cover your costs, but it makes your case much more weak. The fact that people in the US are willing to pay for you to be there, makes it seem less and less likely that you could return to Portugal to work.

If you are an international traveler, in most cases you should be able to pay for it yourself.

Well, I will present everything I have to support that I do not intend to stay in the US and that I do want to return to my country, including the job interview that I have in my country where my father works, that I absolutely refuse to miss because I do want and need that job.

I also have medical appointments and exams already scheduled that I can't miss in any way.

Well, I will present everything I have to support that I do not intend to stay in the US and that I do want to return to my country, including the job interview that I have in my country where my father works, that I absolutely refuse to miss because I do want and need that job.

I also have medical appointments and exams already scheduled that I can't miss in any way.

But your bf and his mom will pay for everything in the US. Why would you leave a life of leisure to go home and be a worker who has to do things?

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

But your bf and his mom will pay for everything in the US. Why would you leave a life of leisure to go home and be a worker who has to do things?

Because, at this point, I do not intend to move to the US. I'ts not on my plans nor I will stay and abuse my luck by having everything payed by someone else.

-If- I move, (if) I want to do it the right way and at the right time and, right now, it's not the right time for me to do such thing. I have priorities in my life right now, which one of them is getting this job and, moving to the US, at this very moment, is not one of them, reason why visiting is the best option for me. I don't want to go into details about my other priorities because they're personal.

I hope you'll understand.

Filed: Timeline

However, at the end of the day, our border officials' opinions outweigh other considerations. Letters from people explaining this or that are just letters...none are legally enforceable upon anyone....and for whatever reason(s) the DHS person had misgivings about your credibility as a bona fide visitor for pleasure....your BF cannot change that decision, nor influence anyone else in the entire immigration system to see things your way. That will be up to you.

While you are contemplating all of this, and are, no doubt, unhappy, just blame the mind changers who have used (or possibly abused) our visa system and/or the VWP to circumvent other processes....their actions have made it tougher for others....there is little sense blaming the DHS person....they've just seen far too many mind changers and you happen to be the one they culled out of the crowd.

Because, at this point, I do not intend to move to the US. I'ts not on my plans nor I will stay and abuse my luck by having everything payed by someone else.

-If- I move, (if) I want to do it the right way and at the right time and, right now, it's not the right time for me to do such thing. I have priorities in my life right now, which one of them is getting this job and, moving to the US, at this very moment, is not one of them, reason why visiting is the best option for me. I don't want to go into details about my other priorities because they're personal.

I hope you'll understand.

I know. These are mostly rhetorical questions. The person who interviews you will be thinking these things. It will be your job to convince them otherwise.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

I know. These are mostly rhetorical questions. The person who interviews you will be thinking these things. It will be your job to convince them otherwise.

My father wants to come with me to this interview in hopes that he can testify the job interview since the letter was handed to him by the owner of the company himself.

If needed a call can be made to the owner of the company to prove it.

My father wants to come with me to this interview in hopes that he can testify the job interview since the letter was handed to him by the owner of the company himself.

If needed a call can be made to the owner of the company to prove it.

I think... having enough money to pay for the trip yourself is worth a lot more than testimonies about a job interview. Good luck.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.