Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

can a sponsor or joint sponsor claim the beneficiary on they taxes?

9 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi guys!

i was wondering the other day that since the sponsor/ joint sponsor are proving that they can provide for u with their income and since us the beneficiaries are not allowed to work for a while after we get here , is there a way for them a( sponsor/ joint sponsor) to claim us on their taxes when they fill ( since in jan they will do that). i did call the IRS and they said i should have been here for 6 months in order for someone to claim me. but maybe the situation is different since the fill forms for the emabassy and AOS as well. i have only 3 months here and i will start to work only in jan probably ( still waiting for EAD ) so i won't fill any taxes on my own for this year.

but what about my husband? can he claim me for 2013 , for this 3 months or maybe my mother in law since she is the joint sponsor.

I am not greedy , trying to get money lol but i was just wondering how the situation goes!

thank you! have a good evening!



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

great so more than sure that is what we will do. now he just have to do a research about this jointly filling is about and how it works with an immigrant spouse!

thank u! I appreciate your answer!

Two requirements for married filing jointly. Only 2.

1. Be married on December 31st.

2. Have a Social Security Number or ITIN.

Immigration status has nothing to do with being able to file a joint return.

Edited by aaron2020

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can choose to be treated as a resident for the purpose of filing your taxes. You should file jointly. http://www.irs.gov/publications/p519/ch01.html#en_US_2012_publink1000222193

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.