Chris_B

Graduate School on K1 visa

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello,

My fiance has been in the US for almost 3 weeks now. He's interested in pursuing a master's degree while here. We'll be married in early December, and most applications are due in March. I believe that while the K1 visa is valid and after we're married he's considered a legal alien who's allowed to work. We will be filing for AOS jointly with EAD (green card) immediately after marrying. I'm a bit unsure of his status at this point. Can he apply to school in this interim period. He will have a social security number this point. Will he be eligible for financial aid through FAFSA as a married graduate student? Will he be allowed to take out loans? Anyone with any knowledge please help me out. Thanks. Enjoy the upcoming holiday.

Christina

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Process to Family-based AOS Forum~

~Inquiry is about AOS, not K-1~

The K-1 visa is a one-time one-entry visa. After the K-1 visa beneficiary arrives in the the US (POE), the CBP officer invalidates and voids the K-1 visa. The alien- fiance(e) beneficiary then has ninety days to marry the USC-fiance(e) sponsor, or return home. The alien-fiance(e) cannot work until they have applied for and received their Form I-765 Employment Authorization Document (valid only for 90 days, uncommon). I would suggest that the alien-fiancee apply for an SSN two weeks after their POE. It is important for the couple to get married as quickly as possible. After marriage, the alien-spouse may apply for AOS and EAD/AP concurrently. The EAD/AP combo card is typically approved within 90 days of application. If the AOS application is approved (after possible interview) a two-year conditional Permanent Resident card (Green Card) will be issued.

The alien-fiancee may enroll in college, that may depend on the particular requirements of the college. Realize that out-of-state tuition will likely be a requirement.Your financial aid inquiries may best be saved for the financial aids office at the college.

There are several topics that you should review and become acquainted with:

http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/fiancee-visas

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1aos

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

He isn't a permanent resident and doesn't qualify to file FAFSA. Also, he is highly likely to be considered an international applicant for fee-paying purposes. The College/University will ask for a copy of his permanent resident card to confirm his status in order to be considered as a domestic applicant for fee-paying purposes, and since he has none yet, he cannot get any institutional financial aid for domestic applicants either. Unless he can pay the fee (international student fee), he has to wait until after he has his greencard. There is no way around this.

Hello,

My fiance has been in the US for almost 3 weeks now. He's interested in pursuing a master's degree while here. We'll be married in early December, and most applications are due in March. I believe that while the K1 visa is valid and after we're married he's considered a legal alien who's allowed to work. We will be filing for AOS jointly with EAD (green card) immediately after marrying. I'm a bit unsure of his status at this point. Can he apply to school in this interim period. He will have a social security number this point. Will he be eligible for financial aid through FAFSA as a married graduate student? Will he be allowed to take out loans? Anyone with any knowledge please help me out. Thanks. Enjoy the upcoming holiday.

Christina

Marriage (if applicable): 2007-09-08

I-130 sent: 2008-08-05

I-130 approved: 2009-04-08

Case Completed at NVC: 2009-04-08

IR-1 Visa Received: 2011-01-21

US Entry: 2011-01-29

SS card received: 02-26-2011

10 years GC Received: 03/10/2011

Citizenship eligibility Criteria: 3 years

10-31-2013: Eligibility Date

02-07-2014: Application Sent

02-11-2014: Application Received

02-11-2014: Priority Date

02-18-2014: NOA Received

02-20-2014: Bio-metric Letter sent Date

03-11-2014: Bio-metric Date

03-13-2014: In-line for Interview

04-10-2014: Interview Letter Sent Date

05-20-2014: Interview Date

06-19-2014: Oath Ceremony

06-21-2014: Applied for U.S passport Book (expedite-$60)

06-23-2014: Passport Application received

06-26-2014: Passport Completed processing and mailed

06-27-2014: Passport Received

Depends on the school you go to. Most state-run schools have different classification of student (international, in-state, out-of-state, etc.) and will charge tuition differently. Establishing residency also depends on the institution. Some simply require an in-state primary address. Some want to see residency for a period of time (usually one year.) You may not qualify for FAFSA, but you can still qualify for private or specialized scholarships.

My wife is on the same boat since she's required to go back to school to practice here in the States, and each school we prospected had different requirements.

K1 -- 129F: 3/15/13 + NOA1: 3/22/13 + NOA2: 7/1/13 + NVC: 7/20/13 + MED: 8/4/13 + USEM: 8/23/13 + K1: 8/31/13 + CFO: 9/4/13 + POE: 9/7/13

AOS -- CIVIL: 9/14/13 + NOA1: 10/10/13 + BIO: 10/17/13 + INT: 7/8/14 + 131: 11/23/13 + 765: 12/13/13 + 485: 7/15/14

ROC -- NOA1: ? + BIO: ? + INT: + 751: ?

NAT -- NOA1: ? + BIO: ? + INT: ? + N400: ?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I say wait till green card in hand,

as

LPRs are allowed to chase after stuff over at fafsa.gov

Sure, he can try signing up at the university for the spring term, but,

IMO, the registrar will treat him as an international student (without a student visa) until he has a green card, and mostly, it's a battle.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello,

Christina

Chris

Your fiance can pursue his masters but will not qualify for financial aid. He will likely qualify for in- state tuition since he will be married to a resident of Maryland. That is if he will be attending state university.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

sure, it can be !

in the interim, apply for the masters program, have the undergraduate degree evaluated. Evaluation takes some time, so you can be waiting in parallel.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

sure, it can be !

in the interim, apply for the masters program, have the undergraduate degree evaluated. Evaluation takes some time, so you can be waiting in parallel.

My husband is not here yet but when he comes we want to get his degree evaluated. Whats a good company to use?

-Met in Ghana August 2011

-Went back to Ghana April 2012

-Went back to Ghana December 2012

-Married to the man God created just for me on January 4th, 2013.

-Filed the CR-1 in February 2013

-Petition Transfered from National Benefits Center to Texas Service Center October 2013

-Petition APPROVED January 2014 (*Took 10 Months 19 Calendar Days)

-Case Number/Invoice Identification Number Assigned February 2014 (*Took 33 Calendar Days)

-Approved Interview May 2014

-Arrival May 2014

Now, We are Prayerfully taking everything 1 day at a time. Thanking God for his blessings and grace.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

My fiance has already taken the GREs and had his transcript evaluated. We chose World Education Services: http://www.wes.org/index.asp

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.