Billandraffy

Same Sex K1 US Embassy Maila

115 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! I was already confused and worried about my k1 visa application when i suddenly saw this great site and thought that maybe you guys could help me out.

It's been three weeks since we called the NVC telling us that they've already sent our case to the USEM-manila. The thing is, I haven't received a mail or heard anything from the embassy yet. My fiancé then decided to check my visa status online and saw that my case has already been approved last november 7 and can already get a schedule.

I called the embassy hotline again to clear things up and the guy told me to still wait for the mail from the embassy.

But based from what we've read from some blogs, its kind of telling us that we can just disregard what the guy said and get an interview schedule anyway.

Hope you guys could give us an advice. We really dont know what to do.. Thanks!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I suggest that you read Hank's site cause it's much helpful than calling USEM. I have tried calling them as well before but they can't even give me any details.

Anyways, in our case: i always check the Ceac site. When my fiance got the MNL number i just waited for the status to change to "in Transit" then the next day we paid for the interview fee at Bpi.

After 24 hours, i scheduled my interview.

No need to wait for any email or letter from them cause it will just delay

Timeline

I suggest that you read Hank's site cause it's much helpful than calling USEM. I have tried calling them as well before but they can't even give me any details.

Anyways, in our case: i always check the Ceac site. When my fiance got the MNL number i just waited for the status to change to "in Transit" then the next day we paid for the interview fee at Bpi.

Timeline

I already received the hardcopy of the mail today from the embassy (yey!). I also paid the interview fee at bpi already.

My fiance told me to check for an available interview schedule preferrably on the first week of december and have my medical exam by next week! Whoa! This is it! Wish me luck guys! :-D

• 8 months later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

We are pleased to inform everyone here that our CR-1 same sex spouse visa application has been approved and was issued already after just a little over 3 months from the filing date (04/16/15) at the USCIS until the interview (07/21/15) at the (NVC) US Embassy here in Manila and we are set to fly out in September already ... By the way, the consular officer did not even bother to question the past 3 tourist visa denials when DOMA was still in effect and was very friendly and respectful to us and informed us right away at the end of the interview at the window that my husband was approved ...

• 1 month later...

A Filipino same-sex fiance (now conditional GC holder) sent an anonymous email to a Filipino immigration lawyer here in the US asking for advice. He/she arrived in the US March 7, 2014.

He/she claims that the U.S. Citizen spouse has been abusing him/her physically and mentally and threatening to send him/her home. Here's the link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=doKdGZAY6rA

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

• 4 months later...
Filed: Timeline

For those great folks from the Philippines who are currently living here in the US (or anywhere abroad really).....and your passport is expiring soon. You WILL NOT have to go through the same procedures for passport renewal as opposite sex couples. Our fear was that the whole "registration of marriage" which is a requirement for most, would pose problems for us as the Philippines doesn't recognize the marriage therefore they would not register it....and because it wasn't registered then you couldn't get the new passport. I contacted PI consulate in LA and received the following reply:

Dear Sir, we regret that this issue has yet to be addressed in our website. As you have said, same-sex marriage is not recognized in the Philippines, and therefore, the provision of consular services are still very much anchored on opposite-sex marriage.

Reporting a marriage and passport renewal are two separate processes. The main purpose of a Report of Marriage is to record in the national registry the vital event in one's life. A person can renew his or her passport without reporting his/her marriage.
The Report of Marriage becomes relevant in the passport renewal process if the applicant is a married female and wishes to use her husband's surname in her new passport. If she wants to retain her maiden name in her new passport, she will not be asked to present a Report of Marriage.
Again, because of non-recognition in the Philippines, the requirement for registration and the option to use the surname of the spouse do not apply to same-sex couples. A Filipino national in this situation who wish to renew his/her passport will only need to present her old passport and an accomplished application form, and such other requirements listed for specific situations. We hope we are able to shed light on your concern. Thank you.
peace :)

• 8 months later...

We are pleased to inform everyone here that our CR-1 same sex spouse visa application has been approved and was issued already after just a little over 3 months from the filing date (04/16/15) at the USCIS until the interview (07/21/15) at the (NVC) US Embassy here in Manila and we are set to fly out in September already ... By the way, the consular officer did not even bother to question the past 3 tourist visa denials when DOMA was still in effect and was very friendly and respectful to us and informed us right away at the end of the interview at the window that my husband was approved ...

Sounds like you got married outside the Philippines and in a country with legal same-sex marriage? Did you do DCF? 3 months from filing to interview approval seems very expedited.

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sounds like you got married outside the Philippines and in a country with legal same-sex marriage? Did you do DCF? 3 months from filing to interview approval seems very expedited.

The person you quoted hasn't not been back on in over a year. Please check the dates of threads before resurrecting them.

~~Then now locked to further comments.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.