canusa920

Travelling on Advance Parole

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have been researching online, and my husband and I filed for our advance parole November 20th - we want to go on a honeymoon next September to Dominican Republic... If I am using my AP - what else do I need to have a smooth travel experience? Anyone have any other experiences with this? I have seen online people discussing needing a tourist visa?! Its only for 7 days, why the heck do I need a tourist visa? Seems absurd...

Thanks!

All you need to return to the US after a visit outside it is the passport and AP. Realistically, if you've applied for AoS now, you may have your green card in hand by next September anyway.

Maybe the people meant a visa is required for the place that is being visited? You should always check requirements for entry to any foreign destination. :)

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Timeline

All you need to return to the US after a visit outside it is the passport and AP. Realistically, if you've applied for AoS now, you may have your green card in hand by next September anyway.

Maybe the people meant a visa is required for the place that is being visited? You should always check requirements for entry to any foreign destination. smile.png

Hey,

Yes I believe they meant for visiting the country...but I don't get why I would need a visa to visit a beach and hotel? Does that mean everyone needs one? I will definitely look into it. And I would LOVE if I received my GC by then, that would be wonderful...but isn't that too soon?

I have been researching online, and my husband and I filed for our advance parole November 20th - we want to go on a honeymoon next September to Dominican Republic... If I am using my AP - what else do I need to have a smooth travel experience? Anyone have any other experiences with this? I have seen online people discussing needing a tourist visa?! Its only for 7 days, why the heck do I need a tourist visa? Seems absurd...

Thanks!

Katie,

Absurdity has nothing to do with rules of exit and entry.

You need to understand that you are a Canadian citizen, and you have been afforded many benefits because of that. One is that you can travel visa-free to many countries as visitor.

If, however, you want to go a country that does not allow you to go there visa-free for a visit, you need to obtain a tourist visa.

So, you need to determine, for yourself, as a Canadian, if you can travel to any place and how you are allowed to enter the country.

You must not confuse your citizenship with advice given for people from a different country than you.

I searched for you, and this says that to visit DR, you will purchase a tourist card upon entry. You do not need a visa in advance. http://dominican-republic.visahq.ca/

But that is only for DR. Every other country will be different, and you need to check before you travel anywhere or make plans.

Here is a map for other countries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Canadian_citizens

You will see you cannot go to Brazil, and most of Asia and Africa without a visa.

Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Katie,

Absurdity has nothing to do with rules of exit and entry.

You need to understand that you are a Canadian citizen, and you have been afforded many benefits because of that. One is that you can travel visa-free to many countries as visitor.

If, however, you want to go a country that does not allow you to go there visa-free for a visit, you need to obtain a tourist visa.

So, you need to determine, for yourself, as a Canadian, if you can travel to any place and how you are allowed to enter the country.

You must not confuse your citizenship with advice given for people from a different country than you.

I searched for you, and this says that to visit DR, you will purchase a tourist card upon entry. You do not need a visa in advance. http://dominican-republic.visahq.ca/

But that is only for DR. Every other country will be different, and you need to check before you travel anywhere or make plans.

Here is a map for other countries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Canadian_citizens

You will see you cannot go to Brazil, and most of Asia and Africa without a visa.

Good luck.

Brilliant, thanks Harpa - I actually just found the tourist card at the same time, it's only $10 so thats nice! Glad its not a visa process, I have enough of those haha.dancin5hr.gif

A tourist visa is NOT required for the dominican republic. The only thing u will require when u step foot in the DR airport is a visitor fee which $10 U.S. dollars. That is collected before u go through their customs and immigration in the DR airport. As far as your AP, what i have read here, all u need is ur AP card and passport. Some people take their marraige certificate "just in case". Just in case an immigration officer here in the U.S. asks for proof when returning, which i highly doubt that.

Good luck!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Family-based AOS to Working and Traveling during US Immigration Forum~

~Inquiry about Advanced Parole~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Hey,

Yes I believe they meant for visiting the country...but I don't get why I would need a visa to visit a beach and hotel? Does that mean everyone needs one? I will definitely look into it. And I would LOVE if I received my GC by then, that would be wonderful...but isn't that too soon?

I got my GC through K1 in 3 months.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.