Paolo11

Need help on adjustment of status K1 VISA

10 posts in this topic

Good morning. New person here. I just have a few questions. Please assist me.

a) My newly wed wife came here last 10/26 and we got married last 11/17 by my friend (ordained minister non denominational) but not in a church. If they would interview us, would they ask us for wedding pictures or where we get married? What is the best alternative to fix this? I do not have any pictures.

b) If I submit the marriage license right now, the certificate will be sent to us within 5 weeks per the office at Norwalk Registar. If the expiration date for my wife I-94 is on 1/23/2014 and I filed for AOS on first week of January, would that cause an issue?

c) When filing for I 485 ($1100), do I have to pay extra for the work permit (I 765) or the cost of I485 ($1100) covers the fee for the work permit (I 765)?

d) When do I start working on the I 693 form? Do I have to pay a surgeon to take care of it? How does it work?

e) If I submit my checlist like Birth Certificate (original) and marriage certificate (original) to USCIS for AOS, would they send it back to us?

f) For the interview, the only documents that we are married is my health insurance with her, joint bank statements, pictures with her, and the wedding ring. Would that suffice? We both live in our parents house and her name is not in the house at all.

g) What questions will they ask us in the Adjustment of Status interview?

Please assist me. I love my wife but for the wedding ceremony, I decided to do it next year because I want it special. Also, I got not cash for it. I know it sounds silly but help me on this matter. Thanks. :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Process to Family-based AOS Forum~

~Inquiry about AOS~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Good morning. New person here. I just have a few questions. Please assist me.

a) My newly wed wife came here last 10/26 and we got married last 11/17 by my friend (ordained minister non denominational) but not in a church. If they would interview us, would they ask us for wedding pictures or where we get married? What is the best alternative to fix this? I do not have any pictures.

The marriage certificate is key. We don't have pictures from being married by the county judge either.

b) If I submit the marriage license right now, the certificate will be sent to us within 5 weeks per the office at Norwalk Registar. If the expiration date for my wife I-94 is on 1/23/2014 and I filed for AOS on first week of January, would that cause an issue?

No, there is no deadline for AOS.

c) When filing for I 485 ($1100), do I have to pay extra for the work permit (I 765) or the cost of I485 ($1100) covers the fee for the work permit (I 765)?

No, those are free when filed along with the 485. Read the instructions.

d) When do I start working on the I 693 form? Do I have to pay a surgeon to take care of it? How does it work?

Now. Yes you schedule with a local CS and go visit. Negotiate in advance what the fees are what will be required, some are notorious for overcharging (their legal right).

e) If I submit my checlist like Birth Certificate (original) and marriage certificate (original) to USCIS for AOS, would they send it back to us?

Mo, so send copies.

f) For the interview, the only documents that we are married is my health insurance with her, joint bank statements, pictures with her, and the wedding ring. Would that suffice? We both live in our parents house and her name is not in the house at all.

It's weak. Purposefully generate additional evidence, get her a State Photo ID, add her to the utilitiy bills, both go get library cards, go visit popular places and have your photo taken together there.

g) What questions will they ask us in the Adjustment of Status interview?

Most folks don't have an interview. I wouldn't sweat that unless you are told you have to come in.

Please assist me. I love my wife but for the wedding ceremony, I decided to do it next year because I want it special. Also, I got not cash for it. I know it sounds silly but help me on this matter. Thanks. smile.png

We didn't have a wedding ceremony also. My wife and I agreed to save the money for other family uses.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

For the documents on the interview, would this list suffice for the interview?

a) joint Costco cards

b) CA ID for her

c) SS# under the married name

d) Joint bank statements

e) joint Debit cards

f) medical health card

I could not add her name on the utility bill because we are living under my parents house on their name. What is the best alternative for this?

Also, you mentioned there is no interview. I thought all K1 Visa to AOS have an interview?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Also, you mentioned there is no interview. I thought all K1 Visa to AOS have an interview?

No. Only about 50% of cases have an interview when adjusting from a K-1. You may be approved without an interview.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Timeline

hi just had an interview last week for our AOS. well they asked for the marriage certificate and my ocial security number.if you don't have a lease agreement, you can ask your mom to make a letter like a sworn statement and have it notarized. some civil surgeons transcribe your vaccination record without asking for too much money. we paid $ 25 only.( i think there is a link in VJ for civil surgeons per state that doesn't ask for too much if you want it to be transcribe. We showed some of our wedding pictures too. health insurance documents was also asked stating that your wife is your dependent.

hope that helps:)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.