Jump to content
Lana & Mauro

Travelling with a Green Card


5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy

Hi everyone. I know that this question might sound a bit silly but I want to be 100% sure.

Since I immigrated to the US in May 2012 I have never left the country. Next month though we will go on vacation to Europe so I'm wondering if the only thing I need to show to US Customs when I head back from my vacation is my green card (with my valid passport of course) or if I should also bring the confirmation letters I received from the immigration office when I actually got approved.

I think the green card is more than enough, but I wanted to make sure since so far I travelled only within the USA.

Thank you so much.


PS: My green card (through K1 visa) expires on Nov 2014. How many months before should I start the renewal process? I read different opinions, someone says 6 months, others 3...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You need passport and GC to travel.

Read the I-751 instructions for GC renewal. There is a very specific window for applying, outlined there, and you won't need to rely on "people's opinions" anymore to know what it is.

Have a good trip!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy

Passport and GC ... Have a nice vacation

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy


03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China

~Moved from Family-based AOS Process to Working & Traveling During US Immigration Forum~

~Inquirer past AOS, travel inquiry~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...