onesassygirl

EI questions

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi y'all,

Just a few concerns regarding EI:

1.) How soon do you start receiving EI benefits after sending all the necessary documents?

2.) How do they send you the check/money? (i.e. in CDN or US funds? can they electronically deposit the money into a US account? etc.)

3.) My EI application was in my maiden name. Assuming that they send me a check in US funds, I am assuming it will be made out to my maiden name, but my bank info here is in my married name. Can I request that my checks be made out to my married name?

Any input will be highly appreciated! I'm still a little in the dark about what happens after submitting my EI application (and I can't access the archived EI thread to read all about it!).

All I've received so far after submitting my application online is a questionnaire from them asking for information regarding my citizenship and whether or not I have a US work visa. They are not asking for copies of my I-94 or K1 Visa, and I do not have my EAD yet. I am sending back the questionnaire with my ROE. Should I also send in copies of my I-94 and K1 as well since it looks like that's what VJers have done in the past?

And regarding the maiden/married name thing, should I submit a copy of my marriage certificate as proof of the name change?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8 Lots of info on there

you get paid by a cheque in Cdn funds!!!

There is at least a 2 week waiting period, plus depends on how much severence $$ u received from last job!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8 Lots of info on there

you get paid by a cheque in Cdn funds!!!

There is at least a 2 week waiting period, plus depends on how much severence $$ u received from last job!!

Yeah, I've skimmed that... it didn't clarify some of the other questions I had though!

Thanks for the info.

Timeline

All depends on ur bank. I'm sure all USA banks can, BUT some wil charge fees, some will give poor exchange rates. Watch out for those fees. At first wachovia wanted to charge me a $75.00 fee!! bank manager fixed that. I found they gave me a fair exchange rate with no fees. What I ended up doing was keeping open a Cdn acct. I would then mail the cheque to my folks, who had my bank card and deposited the money into the Cdn acct. THEN I would use https://vantage.customhouse.com/cgi-bin/Login.cgi to transfer the $$ from my Cdn account to the USA bank account. Takes a bit to sign up for vantage, also known as Custom House. Tehy do a phone inter view and you have to either mail, fax or scan and email (through a secure sever) your ID and bank acct info. Its easy to do though. Cheers

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
1.) How soon do you start receiving EI benefits after sending all the necessary documents?
It all depends on if you had holiday pay out or serverence pay at the end of your last job. It took me about 7 weeks I think it was to get my first check and I had about 5 weeks where I didn't get any benefits because of holiday pay (1 week), serverence pay (3 weeks) and 1 week where I told them I wasn't available because we were on our honeymoon (which I think I shouldn't have been docked because they got me with the 1 week holiday pay) ...
2.) How do they send you the check/money? (i.e. in CDN or US funds? can they electronically deposit the money into a US account? etc.)

They send your checks in canadian funds and it takes about a week from the date they sent it to get to you. And they can not deposit the money into your US account I asked the exact question. Our bank here has to send my checks to another bank to cash it so we get dinged a little processing fee ...

3.) My EI application was in my maiden name. Assuming that they send me a check in US funds, I am assuming it will be made out to my maiden name, but my bank info here is in my married name. Can I request that my checks be made out to my married name?
I don't have any experience or advice regarding this ... sorry :(
Any input will be highly appreciated! I'm still a little in the dark about what happens after submitting my EI application (and I can't access the archived EI thread to read all about it!).

They contacted me by phone about 5 weeks after I submitted asking a few questions then they started my claim ...

All I've received so far after submitting my application online is a questionnaire from them asking for information regarding my citizenship and whether or not I have a US work visa. They are not asking for copies of my I-94 or K1 Visa, and I do not have my EAD yet. I am sending back the questionnaire with my ROE. Should I also send in copies of my I-94 and K1 as well since it looks like that's what VJers have done in the past?
I enclosed a photocopy of my I-94 and K-1 visa when I sent back the questionnaire ...
And regarding the maiden/married name thing, should I submit a copy of my marriage certificate as proof of the name change?

Once again I don't have any experience with this but I would imagine you should send a copy of your marraige certificate along with the questionnaire ...

I hope this helps you out ...

Edited by Waiting in Vancouver

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

serverence pay (3 weeks)

I was wondering if severence pay is mandatory????????????

Met in Cleveland 07/07/05 ... Fireworks!!!

Emails and phone calls until first visit back September '05

Many trips to Cleveland and overnight stays in New York

Engaged 05/07/06

07/18/07 - Interview yeeehaaa .. approved

07/26/07 - received Visa from Montreal (should have received 07/24)

07/26/07 - POE Buffalo, NY (Peace Bridge) .. No EAD stamp

07/27/07 - Beautiful marriage .. now you may call me Mrs. :)

07/28/07 - Filed AOS,EAD, and AP for me and AOS and AP for my son via UPS .. received 08/01

08/16/07 - applied for ssn

09/03/07 - received ssn card

11/07/07 - AP approved and received 11/12/07 :)

11/19/07- EAD approved online and received same day (actual approval 11/07/07) :)

12/27/07 - AOS transferred to CSC

02/26/08 - 485's approved without interview

01/14/09 - Sent I-751 - removal of conditions

02/23/10 - Biometrics

03/17/10 - Removal of conditions approved .. card production ordered

"Life is not measured by the amount of breaths that we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have been reading all the posts here...when you say "EI" do you mean UI unemployment insurance benefits???

the reason why I am asking...I will be leaving a 25 yr job...can I still collect this benefit...living

outside Canada?

after paying into this fund for so many years....wouldn't this be a beautiful thing!

Denise

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I have been reading all the posts here...when you say "EI" do you mean UI unemployment insurance benefits???

the reason why I am asking...I will be leaving a 25 yr job...can I still collect this benefit...living

outside Canada?

after paying into this fund for so many years....wouldn't this be a beautiful thing!

Denise

You can apply for EI (was called UI). The pinned thread should still have links to the forms and questions on the EI website, or check them out on servicecanada.gc.ca.

As a K3 you will not receive any $ until you send them a copy of your EAD or GC, but you would still file for EI before receiving either of those. Do not wait to apply for EI until you receive them.

As for the checks, I get them directly deposited to my Canadian bank account that I left open just for this reason. I then take the money out here at an ATM. Because my bank account is in my maiden name, my EI file is also in my maiden name.

Edited by Canuck Carrie

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Timeline
As for the checks, I get them directly deposited to my Canadian bank account that I left open just for this reason. I then take the money out here at an ATM. Because my bank account is in my maiden name, my EI file is also in my maiden name.

Hmm.. that's a good idea. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I was worried about having to do it the way flames9 does it.. Thanks for the tip!

Timeline

Only reason why I didnt have the cheques directly put into my Cdn account was that I had planned to close it. I like using Custom House, usually gives a much better exchange rate than the banks. And using ATM's to take out $$ while in the USA drawn on a CDN account can incurr extra fees, probaly not much though. Just my 2 cents

Timeline
Only reason why I didnt have the cheques directly put into my Cdn account was that I had planned to close it. I like using Custom House, usually gives a much better exchange rate than the banks. And using ATM's to take out $$ while in the USA drawn on a CDN account can incurr extra fees, probaly not much though. Just my 2 cents

I looked up the fees my bank charges for withdrawing money in the US: $3.00 per withdrawal + exchange rate + 2.5% of the converted amount. Plus, the US bank machine I withdraw from may charge an additional fee.

How does Custom House's fees look compared to this?

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I looked up the fees my bank charges for withdrawing money in the US: $3.00 per withdrawal + exchange rate + 2.5% of the converted amount. Plus, the US bank machine I withdraw from may charge an additional fee.

No fees... just straight exchange from bank to bank... it does this through an Electronic Funds Transfer...

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

No fees... just straight exchange from bank to bank... it does this through an Electronic Funds Transfer...

I just actually called them. It sounds like the better option of transferring money between accounts.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I just actually called them. It sounds like the better option of transferring money between accounts.

I've been using them for a couple of years now... and have had no problems and the knowledge that I was getting the best bang for my buck...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.