Strictly4theluv

Name on AOS forms (k1)

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hey everybody!

I have a question for you guys! What name do i put on the forms when fillin for AOS. My married name or my single name?

Thank u!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, since you are including a copy of your marriage certificate, you would put whatever name you want to be called on your legal documents. Whether that is your married name or maiden name - that is up to you. It is a personal preference.

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

Timeline

Well, since you are including a copy of your marriage certificate, you would put whatever name you want to be called on your legal documents. Whether that is your married name or maiden name - that is up to you. It is a personal preference.

Thanks for ur quick response! I was asking because today i went to get my ss# and we are not married yet. And the man at the office told me that to change my ss name after the marriage i need to take them a paper from uscis with my married name, so i guess ill fill the forms with my married name and ten once i get my AOS noa1 ill go with that to the ss office to change name.

Dies that make sence?

Well get married in a week

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, you can do that. A marriage certificate should also suffice to change your name, but a supporting letter with your married name can help.

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

Timeline

Thanks for your answer!

We just came back from marrying at the clercks house and i saw that the marriage licence doesnt show my married name. It just shows my madien name and then obviously my husbands name...

When we asked the lady she said that the change has to be done at the ss office on my ss#. Now, we all know that social security wont let me change my name if i dont take (together with my marriage certificate) an immigration form with my new name on it...(call it EAD, call it GC...)

So my question is... How can i fill out the forms using my married name if my marriage licence doesnt show that name?

Do I just fill it that way cause with the marriage certificate they will have enough prove that my name has to be changed?

I dont know if im explaining myself... I just mean that before we goy married i tought that marriage certificate would come with my name as Eva + my now husbands lastname... And that that was needed to be able to fill out forms with married name, for after be able to receive EAD on my married name to be able to go back to ss office to change name on my ss card...

Is this normal situation? Do your marriage certificate shows your madien name or your marriage name?

Ahhhhhhh!!!!

That lady was wrong. It is a common misconception that the SSA "owns" your name. It does not. Do not listen to her.

Listen to the people here who have correctly told you that if you want to use your married name, then put your married name on your immigration forms. USCIS will accept your marriage cert as a valid name change document. Very few marriage licenses show a new married name. They reflect your maiden name, which was your name when you signed the form and helps identify who you are.

Once you get your GC in your married name, go update your SSN with both your married name and your LPR status.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

That lady was wrong. It is a common misconception that the SSA "owns" your name. It does not. Do not listen to her.

Listen to the people here who have correctly told you that if you want to use your married name, then put your married name on your immigration forms. USCIS will accept your marriage cert as a valid name change document. Very few marriage licenses show a new married name. They reflect your maiden name, which was your name when you signed the form and helps identify who you are.

Once you get your GC in your married name, go update your SSN with both your married name and your LPR status.

Thank u! I guess thats what ill do!

I have my doctors appointment in 3 hours so i wanted to have part 1 if the form filled out proppertly...

I was jst scared to get and rfe since no paper shows my name with my husbands lastname yet...(not even the marriage cert)

But ill follow your advice and fill it out that way in the forms... Hope doctor doesnt tripp about it...

Do you think he will?

Thank u! I guess thats what ill do!

I have my doctors appointment in 3 hours so i wanted to have part 1 if the form filled out proppertly...

I was jst scared to get and rfe since no paper shows my name with my husbands lastname yet...(not even the marriage cert)

But ill follow your advice and fill it out that way in the forms... Hope doctor doesnt tripp about it...

Do you think he will?

The doctor might want to use your maiden name on the medical form, but that is okay.

USCIS is the body that can get you an ID in your married name. They will know who you are.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.