sparkles_

K1 question?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

MENA ladies, got a quick question!

Do you guys think it would look weird in the eyes of a CO to start the K1 process, and have a large timespan from that last time the two people were together in person? I'm starting my senior year of my degree plus new job which is a lot harder than I expected, and M has a new job contract in Dubai. We just literally don't have the free time (more me than him) to meet again until mid/end of next year and that is cutting close to the 2yr mark. It seems like a lot of people file right after an in person meeting be it first, second, etc. Well...

I want to file around spring of next year once my divorce is finally finished(about time :/). It would have been a year since we've seen each other by then, will this look shady? Or will this maybe look better in that we have known each other longer? Plenty of ongoing relationship documentation between now and then by the way. I don't want to wait to visit again then file because I've heard with the same-sex filings now being allowed, the wait times are increasing. I should get in a trip to Dubai during the wait time though so more proof can be shown hopefully.

Opinions would be awesome. Sorry to ramble :)

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

hello...We are on the same boat but mine is IR-1. I haven't seen my husband for more than 2 yrs now and he already filed the I-130. The VJ people said that it's gonna be okay as long as you have proof/letter of explanation in your interview. Still, we play safer if there are proofs to show about time spent together and continuous communication from all the gap years. Nevertheless, I'm also worried so we've been thinking to see each other in few months.

MENA ladies, got a quick question!

Do you guys think it would look weird in the eyes of a CO to start the K1 process, and have a large timespan from that last time the two people were together in person? I'm starting my senior year of my degree plus new job which is a lot harder than I expected, and M has a new job contract in Dubai. We just literally don't have the free time (more me than him) to meet again until mid/end of next year and that is cutting close to the 2yr mark. It seems like a lot of people file right after an in person meeting be it first, second, etc. Well...

I want to file around spring of next year once my divorce is finally finished(about time :/). It would have been a year since we've seen each other by then, will this look shady? Or will this maybe look better in that we have known each other longer? Plenty of ongoing relationship documentation between now and then by the way. I don't want to wait to visit again then file because I've heard with the same-sex filings now being allowed, the wait times are increasing. I should get in a trip to Dubai during the wait time though so more proof can be shown hopefully.

Opinions would be awesome. Sorry to ramble smile.png

as long as you meet the "2 year rule" your fine. remember, 2 years, not even one day over.

She would be fine in regards to "the rules", but what the consulate thinks of long gaps is entirely up to their discretion and whims. People get denials all the time over things over things that are technically ok per the rules, but raise big red flags for the interviewer when assessing relationship authenticity.

OP--It's another piece of the bigger picture, and the significance of the long gaps between visits is going to depend on you and your fiance's own unique relationship details. There's not a big, generic pie chart that you can plug different scenarios into and find within a tenth of a percent how big of a piece that issue is. I'm of the "more time knowing each other is really good and important" vs "going and spending a month with a guy after chatting online for 4 months is ideal" school of thought, but there is a wide range of opinion on that here.

I had long gaps in between visits and a long gap in between when i first started talking to my then fiancé, and first meeting in person. It worked for us, with the other aspects of our relationship. I had spent a grand total of of 13 days in morocco when we filed, but my husband had letters and such dating back over 3 years to bring to his interview.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Timeline

By the time of the interview he will have about 1.5yr of back-dated stuff with how the wait time is looking. Ugh, I am clearly tweaking too hard over this whole thing but I can't get it off my mind. like You said, sadly there isn't that chart....someone with a lot of free time and skills should make one! :P

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

She would be fine in regards to "the rules", but what the consulate thinks of long gaps is entirely up to their discretion and whims. People get denials all the time over things over things that are technically ok per the rules, but raise big red flags for the interviewer when assessing relationship authenticity.

OP--It's another piece of the bigger picture, and the significance of the long gaps between visits is going to depend on you and your fiance's own unique relationship details. There's not a big, generic pie chart that you can plug different scenarios into and find within a tenth of a percent how big of a piece that issue is. I'm of the "more time knowing each other is really good and important" vs "going and spending a month with a guy after chatting online for 4 months is ideal" school of thought, but there is a wide range of opinion on that here.

I had long gaps in between visits and a long gap in between when i first started talking to my then fiancé, and first meeting in person. It worked for us, with the other aspects of our relationship. I had spent a grand total of of 13 days in morocco when we filed, but my husband had letters and such dating back over 3 years to bring to his interview.

^^That. I'm of the same school of thought. I think that they could see it as a problem, *BUT* in conjunction with the rest of your story and such, it may not be an issue. And yes, technically, the 2 year thing is in place. My advice is to address it up front. So if you haven't filed yet, maybe include it in your cover letter. I addressed our red flags in the cover and there was zero question about them. It could have been that as a whole, our story made sense, but I still don't think it hurts to mention what you did here-- about why you may not be going to visit any time soon and have not been for a bit.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline

^^That. I'm of the same school of thought. I think that they could see it as a problem, *BUT* in conjunction with the rest of your story and such, it may not be an issue. And yes, technically, the 2 year thing is in place. My advice is to address it up front. So if you haven't filed yet, maybe include it in your cover letter. I addressed our red flags in the cover and there was zero question about them. It could have been that as a whole, our story made sense, but I still don't think it hurts to mention what you did here-- about why you may not be going to visit any time soon and have not been for a bit.

Thanks, I was wondering about putting all the possible red flag addresses in the cover letter. Should I include some sort of proof that I am actually a student and my standing? I do not want them to think I am lying about that portion and can get my NSLDS loan detail sheet from the aid dept. that lists me as fulltime since late 2011 and currently still enrolled, or is this too much? I suppose I could also get a copy of his work contract as well...

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

They took my husband's word for it that I was a student, it was a key part of why I didn't have more visits, etc. if it were me, I'd definitely mention it concisely in the cover letter, and maybe the loan detail sheet on hand at interview if it ever came up.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

His work contract, same deal. I imagine the consulates have some idea how work contracts are usually set up in MENA? Hopefully someone with first hand experience with those will answer.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

Timeline

His work contract, same deal. I imagine the consulates have some idea how work contracts are usually set up in MENA? Hopefully someone with first hand experience with those will answer.

I would assume so. Most work contracts in UAE for Egyptians, Pakistanis and other foreign workers that aren't highly skilled border on slavery when it comes to hours and leave or vacation time. Sigh.

Appreciate the reply :)

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Thanks, I was wondering about putting all the possible red flag addresses in the cover letter. Should I include some sort of proof that I am actually a student and my standing? I do not want them to think I am lying about that portion and can get my NSLDS loan detail sheet from the aid dept. that lists me as fulltime since late 2011 and currently still enrolled, or is this too much? I suppose I could also get a copy of his work contract as well...

I think they basically figure out you're a student from the other checks. We didn't have to supply any proof, but like Sandinista said, I would make sure your SO has it with him just in case for both his contract and your student status.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.