K & M

24-hour trips, 3 or 5 years (N-400)

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi all,

I just want to make sure I understand the N-400 instructions correctly.

I'm applying for a citizenship based on 'being married to an USC for 3 years'.

I got my GC 12/27/2010 and can send in my application now.

Part 7 of the N-400 form ask me to state

a) Total # of days I spent outside the US during the last 5 years

- This would include the 2 years I was not living in the US, should I include those days?

b) # of trips I've taken outside the US during the last 5 years

- How do I treat the 2 years I was not living in the US?

c) This is pretty explanatory, I just need to provide information about the trips I've made since I became a permanent resident. Now I just have to remember the destination and dates for my 24 trips :/

Thankful for any insight on the a) and b).

-M

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hi all,

I just want to make sure I understand the N-400 instructions correctly.

I'm applying for a citizenship based on 'being married to an USC for 3 years'.

I got my GC 12/27/2010 and can send in my application now.

Part 7 of the N-400 form ask me to state

a) Total # of days I spent outside the US during the last 5 years

- This would include the 2 years I was not living in the US, should I include those days?

b) # of trips I've taken outside the US during the last 5 years

- How do I treat the 2 years I was not living in the US?

c) This is pretty explanatory, I just need to provide information about the trips I've made since I became a permanent resident. Now I just have to remember the destination and dates for my 24 trips :/

Thankful for any insight on the a) and b).

-M

Hello I was reading your post and I was surprised that you got your green card the day I got mine. I'm like what a coincidence lol. Anyways. You include trips only for the past 3 years since you became a resident (thats for a and b) try to remember the exact days, if you can't put approximate. You should be okay if you look in your passport for the stamps that will tell you the dates. Good luck.

Timeline

Hello I was reading your post and I was surprised that you got your green card the day I got mine. I'm like what a coincidence lol. Anyways. You include trips only for the past 3 years since you became a resident (thats for a and b) try to remember the exact days, if you can't put approximate. You should be okay if you look in your passport for the stamps that will tell you the dates. Good luck.

Thanks Silkafi88.

That's what makes most sense. I know the exact entry dates but I'm unsure of departure dates.

I will go with a good approximation.

Thanks again for your feedback!

And yes, that's a coincidence, or maybe it's not, maybe someone over at the USCIS was actually being productive that day ;)

Who knows now though with the "Government Shutdown" and all. At least we have our GCs that last for a loooong time so no real rush.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

There is a tiny line in the instructions that say if you are using the 3 year rule every line that says 5 years you are to read as 3 years.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

There is a tiny line in the instructions that say if you are using the 3 year rule every line that says 5 years you are to read as 3 years.

Oh! Really, I must have missed that. Do you remember if that is in the N-400 instructions PDF?

I'll have yet another look, thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

When I sent in my application (as in less than 1 month ago), I crossed out every 'five' and wrote 'three' instead. I did this for travels abroad, places where I have lived, and work history. Then, of course, I filled out the form with information going back 3 years only. If they need additional information about the past, they can ask me at the interview.

Timeline

When I sent in my application (as in less than 1 month ago), I crossed out every 'five' and wrote 'three' instead. I did this for travels abroad, places where I have lived, and work history. Then, of course, I filled out the form with information going back 3 years only. If they need additional information about the past, they can ask me at the interview.

Interesting. I could do that.

Although now with the government shutdown I can't get any info out of IRS... so application on hold for now :/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.