Brent and Vika

Stuck in AP at NVC- Congressional Help

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Just got off the phone with a Constituent Affairs rep at my Congressman's office. She called NVC and spoke to a supervisor. The following is what she was told.

A certain amount of cases are selected for random checks. They started this to make sure that USCIS is doing their job correctly. It is completely random (in our case anyway) and she was told the case should be reviewed and sent to the embassy by the middle of next week. If it does play out that way it means that AP will have taken about 3 1/2 weeks for us. Which seems about standard from what I have noticed recently. I don't know if the call will make them do it quicker or not but it is nice to have some information besides "it is in AP and we do not have a time frame of when it will be finished"

Best of luck to anyone else who is going through this, and if you hit the 2 weeks mark it might be worth the time to make a call to get information.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Honestly no... they do not move any case based on call from congressman.

All congressman and their office can do is inquire about the case and maybe escalate it to supervisor if ones case has been not worked on in reasonable time.

Timeline

Honestly no... they do not move any case based on call from congressman.

All congressman and their office can do is inquire about the case and maybe escalate it to supervisor if ones case has been not worked on in reasonable time.

well whatever they did I am glad to have a better answer out of NVC then I was getting from the telephone reps. Just even getting an estimated date is more reassuring than the standard answer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kazakhstan
Timeline

This news is comforting, my case has been with them for 2.5 weeks now and I have been feeling so discouraged wondering why everyone else's seems to leave NVC for the consulate within a week or less. Thanks for sharing I will just try to be patient and not go crazy.

Timeline

Thanks for sharing and keep us updated. We are stuck at NVC as well. NOA2 from August 13th...we just keep calling every day and still no news. How could it take 3.5+ weeks for delivery from CSC to NVC?... It's unfair to make us wait even longer.

Good luck to everybody!

Timeline

Thanks for sharing and keep us updated. We are stuck at NVC as well. NOA2 from August 13th...we just keep calling every day and still no news. How could it take 3.5+ weeks for delivery from CSC to NVC?... It's unfair to make us wait even longer.

Good luck to everybody!

Have you been assigned an NVC case number yet? It starts with KEV2013xxxxxx. If not at least you aren't in AP, that is an entirely different beast to deal with. It took about 3 weeks to go from TSC to NVC but once they received the case we were assigned a number pretty quickly.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

"Hey, Larry, I got another of these idiot Congressmen on the line. I'll give 'em the 'random file check' story -- haven't used that baby in a while!"

Timeline

Good news checked today and the case was sent out to Kiev yesterday. Just a few days after the call to my congressmans office. Maybe it's coincidence but none the less glad the AP is over.

Timeline

Wonderful news!! Congrats!!

Post back and let me know when your interview is. We havent yet been notified of ours, but the status moved from in transit to ready, so its got to be coming within a few days I would think.

Good news checked today and the case was sent out to Kiev yesterday. Just a few days after the call to my congressmans office. Maybe it's coincidence but none the less glad the AP is over.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Here is what I don't understand, NVC says they do not process K-1 visas, they just log it and send to consulate/embassy. So why do they put cases through AP. makes no sense to me.

Timeline

They do run additional background checks as part of their process.

Here is what I don't understand, NVC says they do not process K-1 visas, they just log it and send to consulate/embassy. So why do they put cases through AP. makes no sense to me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

That is what I believe makes no sense. All background is done by FBI and if it has already been done what new information are they going to get from FBI in a few days?

Timeline

From what I was told by the congressmans aid and from what I have learned on my own is that it is more of a quality control check than anything else. It seems they randomly select cases to have someone go through the case file instead of the rubber stamp and being sent off to the embassy. There has been no confirmed evidence that they do additional background checks. Anything is possible though but I believe it was pulled, set on a desk, then looked through for accuracy then sent off to the embassy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.