Weevil

3.5 Years and still no steady work??

35 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I have lived in CT for over 20 years now. CT has a lot of high end jobs, Hartford is home to the Insurance Industry, Stamford has a lot of Financial sector jobs, GE capital is spread out over Fairfield county, Danbury has a few GE units and also a big German pharmaceutical company Boehringer Ingelheim and also Duracell.

Most CT school districts are consistently ranked amongst the best in the Nation.

Bridgeport, New Haven yes God help you if you live anywhere there.

Finding a job in CT is really dependent on where exactly you live. I have lived in Danbury for almost 20 years and when my wife first came over she spoke very little English but was able to find a factory job across the state line in NY. We have since moved to the Hartford area and if she went out looking for a job here she ain't going to find one.

All those places are pretty far from where we are though, we're in Bristol. So our main options are Bristol, Southington, Farmington, New Britain... If we had two working cars it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but one of them is broken and I can't afford to fix it until he gets a job. >_<.

Our Timeline

03/2002 - Met on Yahoo Group.

07/2002 - Met in real life 1st time in NYC

02/2003 - 1st visit to Germany

04/2003 - Visit to Germany

08/2003 - Visit to US (& Trip to Niagara Falls)

09/2003 - 10/2003 - Spent 2 months in Germany

11/2004 - Visit to US

06/2005 - Visit to Germany & Proposal

12/2005 - Visit to US

08/2006 - Visit to Germany

11/2006 - Visit to US

09/2007 - Visit to Germany

12/2007 - Visit to US

06/2008 - Visit to Germany

10/2008 - Visit to US

10/2008 - Began gathering paperwork f/ I-129F

03/2009 - Submitted I-129F

03/13/09 - NOA1

05/2009 - Visit to Germany (& Europe road trip)

06/2009 - 08/2009 - Spent 2 months in US

08/17/09 - NOA2

My husband came to the US in late 2009 and got his GC early 2010, but he has not been able to find any steady work. We're in central Connecticut. He's applied for plenty of low level positions in local retail stores, fast food, and hotels, but there have been almost no call backs, except Target calling to set up an interview and then saying it was a mistake, a local snow plowing place saying he got the job and then never hearing from them again, and finally our local amusment park, where he was able to work seasonally for the last four summers before finally quitting because they were trying to screw him over. Why is next to NOTHING biting??. He has his secondary school certificate, and also has completed post-secondary education in the form of "Journeyman Management Assistent's Certificate of Competance in Wholesale and Foreign Trade". He speaks fluent English. We even tried community college for a bit, and now having trouble getting financial aide for that...

I don't understand what's going on, is CT's job market that poor??

Answer: Ct voted 60/40 for Obama and Ct got exactly what they voted for. A bunch of poorly paying part time jobs and 8.1% unemployment. Innocently wondering how is that hope and change working out for y'all?

Try Utah. Unemployment 4.6% and next time think before you vote!

i don't get it.

Filed: Timeline

Answer: Ct voted 60/40 for Obama and Ct got exactly what they voted for. A bunch of poorly paying part time jobs and 8.1% unemployment. Innocently wondering how is that hope and change working out for y'all?

Even for a red herring, this one is way out there.

Ha! That was how George Bush ran Texas and then the nation. Don't blame Obama for Bush's legacy.

(AND, before you reply, I lean Republican on most issues... but with my eyes wide open)

Spoiler

===============================================

January 06, 2011 - Married in Buenos Aires, Argentina 

July 15, 2013 - Mailed I-130 Packet 

May 13, 2014 - Case complete at NVC 

June 16, 2014 - IR-1 VISA APPROVED at US Embassy in Buenos Aires 

July 15, 2014 - Arrival at Houston and Permanent Residency granted

===============================================

April 24, 2017 - Filing N-400 for Naturalization!  

Spoiler

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

*snorts* Hawaii=4.5%, Iowa=4.8%, Vermont=4.6% and they're all "Blue States". I also love how you randomly decided I voted for Obama. Just for the record I voted McKinney/Clemente.

Our Timeline

03/2002 - Met on Yahoo Group.

07/2002 - Met in real life 1st time in NYC

02/2003 - 1st visit to Germany

04/2003 - Visit to Germany

08/2003 - Visit to US (& Trip to Niagara Falls)

09/2003 - 10/2003 - Spent 2 months in Germany

11/2004 - Visit to US

06/2005 - Visit to Germany & Proposal

12/2005 - Visit to US

08/2006 - Visit to Germany

11/2006 - Visit to US

09/2007 - Visit to Germany

12/2007 - Visit to US

06/2008 - Visit to Germany

10/2008 - Visit to US

10/2008 - Began gathering paperwork f/ I-129F

03/2009 - Submitted I-129F

03/13/09 - NOA1

05/2009 - Visit to Germany (& Europe road trip)

06/2009 - 08/2009 - Spent 2 months in US

08/17/09 - NOA2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.