18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and i'm looking for some help.

My situation is this: I am a U.S. citizen and i recently married my wife in Egypt August 10th (she is an egyptian citizen with no visa). We were islamically married, however, due to the violence the U.S. embassy was closed and we were not able to have the marriage officially accepted/recognized by the egyptian government and/or U.S. embassy.

I am now back in the states and am desperate to bring my wife here to the U.S. as i'm extremely worried about her safety because of the daily violence in Egypt.

I'm not sure of the quickest most efficient way to apply to bring her to the United States. i spoke with the State Department and they indicated the first step is to fill out the I-130 form. However, the person I spoke with said this takes a minimum of 6 months just to have it processed and that is only the first step! Additionally, i'm not even sure this is the right advice (i'm not sure the person realized that our marriage was not officially documented by the egyptian government).

Please if anyone knows the best way for me to bring her over I would really appreciate the advice.

Thanks in advance,

S.T.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

If I were in yer shoes, I'd have my wife find some way to get the official government document, then

all you need is a photocopy of that to file the I-130.

For example, she could scan it in there in Egypt, email it to - you print it out, provide translation (if needed) and file the I-130.

When you do file the I-130, submit a written letter also, requesting an expedite ..

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

thank you for the quick response! It sounds like a good avenue to take, but i'm not sure if she can do that without my presence? I think in my absence she has to have 2 male family members accompany her to "vouch" for the marriage's legitimacy?

Thanks for the advice, i'll look into this option.

S.T.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

you can apply for K1 visa (Fiance(e) Visa) then marry her again in the US . check this : http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

thank you for your response,it looks like an excellent option. i will definately research this optionidea9dv.gif

The only problem with that is the US may say that they are "too married" to file the K-1, and not "married enough" to file the CR-1. You should contact the Egyptian Embassy to see if you can get the marriage certificate from them somehow. See what they say. There is one in DC, New York, and Houston. Take your pick. I have read they can be difficult to reach, but it's worth the effort.

Best of luck to you and your wife

01/28/2013 I-130 package sent

01/31/2013 Notice of Action Date After POE
02/01/2013 Received e-mail and text notification of acceptance
11/26/2013 Applied for SS#
02/04/2013 Received hard copy NOA1 (case not found in on-line system) 12/02/2013 ELIS site still states "accepted"
03/12/2013 Transferred to the local office 12/27/2013 received green card
04/10/2013 Case still not found in on-line system
04/15/2013 INFO-PASS appointment

05/01/2013 NOA2 sent petition approved

NVC Stage...of course it has to be complicatedreading.gifrolleyes.gif

05/09/2013 Case received by NVC

05/23/2013 Received case #'s from NVC

05/23/2013 DS-3032 sent from husband's e-mail

06/03/2013 First day I can not access payment portal

06/04/2013 AOS Fee invoiced and payment made

06/04/2013 DS-3032 resent with Supervisor Review

06/05/2013 DS-3032 acceptance e-mail

06/05/2013 AOS Fee shows "PAID"

06/06/2013 AOS package express mailed

06/07/2013 IV bill invoiced and payment made (still waiting on documents from Hubby)

06/08/2013 IV package express mailed

06/25/2013 IV reviewed - Checklist (2 errors, Birth document & date on DS-230)

06/26/2013 Requested supervisor review by e-mail & verbal request for birth document (fingers crossed)

06/27/2013 AOS accepted

06/28/2013 Checklist response sent for corrected DS-230 (I had my husband sign extra's just in-case)

08/02/2013 NVC requested a supervisor review on the checklist item over 20 business day window

08/05/2013 Case Complete!!! kicking.gif

08/27/2013 Interview Assigned

10/30/2013 Interview

11/04/2013 Pick up Passport

11/12/2013 POE @ JFK

Timeline

The only problem with that is the US may say that they are "too married" to file the K-1, and not "married enough" to file the CR-1. You should contact the Egyptian Embassy to see if you can get the marriage certificate from them somehow. See what they say. There is one in DC, New York, and Houston. Take your pick. I have read they can be difficult to reach, but it's worth the effort.

Best of luck to you and your wife

I echo this. The concept of being 'too married' to file the K-1 will bite the petitioner in the @ss. Hard. With a significant piece missing (that, of course, being time -as that determination is always made on interview day, not prior... )

thank you for the quick response! It sounds like a good avenue to take, but i'm not sure if she can do that without my presence? I think in my absence she has to have 2 male family members accompany her to "vouch" for the marriage's legitimacy?

Thanks for the advice, i'll look into this option.

S.T.

A Muallah signed off on it. Bring the Muallah and two male members of the family in to the gov office, and be done. Be prepared to pay monies for this. Give your wife about 1200 USD to handle the costs and bribes and honorariums... It'd be less, if the gov wasn't in such turmoil.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

thank you all for your suggestions. I have a lot of research to do. What are your thoughts on hiring an immigration lawyer, i'm not too keen on this as i'm sure it will be quite expensive, however, i'm afraid that i will make mistakes and delay this seemingly lengthy process even further. I'm really not quite sure where to even start yet.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

thank you all for your suggestions. I have a lot of research to do. What are your thoughts on hiring an immigration lawyer, i'm not too keen on this as i'm sure it will be quite expensive, however, i'm afraid that i will make mistakes and delay this seemingly lengthy process even further. I'm really not quite sure where to even start yet.

I recommend starting with one of the Egyptian consulates/embassies and finding out if there is a way to register the wedding with you here and her there.... If they can assist you, then that takes a lot of troubles away. If you are unable to contact them, have your wife take the men and register the wedding that way, as Darnell Recommended. You need the marriage to be official. If you can get the official document, you can start the process on your own. A lawyer will not speed things up, in most cases and in some cases they do slow it down. Unless there is a waiver or criminal background... If you have any documentation of the nuptials, you could start the process with that and hopefully have the official document in time for the RFE or if it gets to the NVC.

This is a DIY site.... in many instances, the process can be handled on your own. Most lawyers just collect the needed info from you and have someone plug it in to the right spot on a form.... Now, it should be noted that if the date on the official document will be different from what you can show now... then wait for the official document, as they could reject the case if you file before things are official.

With all of that being said. I am not a lawyer. I don't play one on TV. Many lawyers will do free consultations. Put together a bunch of questions, set-up an appointments, and see what you're thinking then. But start with getting the marriage certified. Ask about it over in the MENA forum....how to do that with you here and her there.

Good luck!

01/28/2013 I-130 package sent

01/31/2013 Notice of Action Date After POE
02/01/2013 Received e-mail and text notification of acceptance
11/26/2013 Applied for SS#
02/04/2013 Received hard copy NOA1 (case not found in on-line system) 12/02/2013 ELIS site still states "accepted"
03/12/2013 Transferred to the local office 12/27/2013 received green card
04/10/2013 Case still not found in on-line system
04/15/2013 INFO-PASS appointment

05/01/2013 NOA2 sent petition approved

NVC Stage...of course it has to be complicatedreading.gifrolleyes.gif

05/09/2013 Case received by NVC

05/23/2013 Received case #'s from NVC

05/23/2013 DS-3032 sent from husband's e-mail

06/03/2013 First day I can not access payment portal

06/04/2013 AOS Fee invoiced and payment made

06/04/2013 DS-3032 resent with Supervisor Review

06/05/2013 DS-3032 acceptance e-mail

06/05/2013 AOS Fee shows "PAID"

06/06/2013 AOS package express mailed

06/07/2013 IV bill invoiced and payment made (still waiting on documents from Hubby)

06/08/2013 IV package express mailed

06/25/2013 IV reviewed - Checklist (2 errors, Birth document & date on DS-230)

06/26/2013 Requested supervisor review by e-mail & verbal request for birth document (fingers crossed)

06/27/2013 AOS accepted

06/28/2013 Checklist response sent for corrected DS-230 (I had my husband sign extra's just in-case)

08/02/2013 NVC requested a supervisor review on the checklist item over 20 business day window

08/05/2013 Case Complete!!! kicking.gif

08/27/2013 Interview Assigned

10/30/2013 Interview

11/04/2013 Pick up Passport

11/12/2013 POE @ JFK

Timeline

Can you put 1200 USD in yer wife's hands? If so, and IMO, she'll use that to get the documents she needs. No lawyer required.

Timeline

she'll use it for other stuff, as well - but ..

tell her to start with the Mullah/Imam. He can help her.

would you rather budget 1200 usd for bribes, or 6000 for an attorney?

Edited by Darnell

Hi everybody,

I have a few questions I hope that I can get some help with. i am in the process of filling out the I-130 and G-325a and i'm confused on a few things:

1) when filling out my wife's name and her family's information, I don't have enough room to write down their complete names (us Arabs tend to have very long namesdancin5hr.gif ), how should i proceed?

2)The g-325a requires my wife's signature, however, she is over in Egypt while i am in the U.S. If i fax/scan the form to her and have her sign it, will that be ok?

3)I need a passport type photo of her, and a copy of the document of her previous divorce. Again can she scan/fax me the divorce document and a photo of herself (will that work?)

Sorry if these are dumb questions, i just want to make sure everything is done properly so i don't have the application rejected due to improper information.

thank you all for your help

S.T.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.