CanadianTeacher

How long to wait to file

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello

I just had a consultation with a lawyer, and they said that I should wait until I am in the USA for 60 days before I file for adjustment of status. Is this true, they said if I wait at least 30 it is better, but to be sure it should be 60 to not set off any alarms.

I got married a little over a week ago, and have been in the country on a visitor visa since august /12/13, we had planned on getting married and then leaving for Egypt, when I crossed the border from Canada, but when the military coop happened we decided to stay here instead and look for jobs in North America. My Wife found one in Nevada so we are now living there.

Has anyone had any luck filling before the 30 days or even the 60 days?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Check our timeline, wife and stepson POE 26 July, married 30 July, AOS packets mailed 17 August, GC cards received 30 Nov. No issues.

YMMV.

Good luck.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Usually they advise you to wait for that long because if you come in on Visitor Visa, and get married right away or adjust right away then

it might cause a red flag, and that would also mean that you came in the US with an intent to marry and not visit.

Others have adjusted successfully adjusting their status right away or within the 30-60 day rule.

So, it's up to you if you want to wait or adjust right away.

Edited by _me

Adjusting from B-2
AOS

08/23/2013 - Package Mailed

08/25/2013 - Package delivered
08/29/2013 - Email/text notifications received

08/30/2013 - Checks Cleared
09/03/2013 - NOA hard copies received

09/09/2013 - Received Biometrics Appointment for 9/25
09/13/2013 - Text/Email for RFE (I-864 & I-94)

09/16/2013 - Completed Biometricks (Walk In)

(Long gap in sending RFE back because I had to complete I-94 application and tried to wait for decision but ended up submitting RFE for I-864 with I-94 NOA)

11/29/2013 - RFE response sent

12/30/2014 - EAD received

01/06/2014 - I-94 Approved!!!!!
02/06/2014 - Interview (had to go back to civil surgeon to re-do paperwork and make sure this time he signs it. Took care of it that very same day and dropped it off at the USCIS office the following morning.
02/14/2014 - Green card received!!!

Thank you VJ for all your help!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Check our timeline, wife and stepson POE 26 July, married 30 July, AOS packets mailed 17 August, GC cards received 30 Nov. No issues.

YMMV.

Good luck.

I think you misunderstood OP's question about the AOS.

OP entered the US on a visitor visa and got married. Now wants to file for AOS.

Timeline after visa approval

Immigrant fee paid on ELIS - Jan 24th

POE - Jan 25th

Update on GC and SSN

(as of March 14th, 2014)

ELIS status - Closed (Card produced)

USCIS case check with receipt number (starts with IOE) - Card delivered in the mail

SSN - Received (Went to SSA location to apply for one)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-400 Naturalization Process

N-400 package mailed in - Nov 7th

Payment posted on cc account - Nov 10th

NOA (hard copy) - Nov 14th

Biometrics - Dec 7th

In Line - Dec 27th

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello

I just had a consultation with a lawyer, and they said that I should wait until I am in the USA for 60 days before I file for adjustment of status. Is this true, they said if I wait at least 30 it is better, but to be sure it should be 60 to not set off any alarms.

I got married a little over a week ago, and have been in the country on a visitor visa since august /12/13, we had planned on getting married and then leaving for Egypt, when I crossed the border from Canada, but when the military coop happened we decided to stay here instead and look for jobs in North America. My Wife found one in Nevada so we are now living there.

The situation in Egypt is not something that happened recently. It's been reported in the news at least for the past several months about the deterioration of the political situation in the country. I think you should be more concerned about finding a convincing reason for wanting to go to a country that is still in the midst of a revolution instead of whether to file in 30 or 60 days.

It's true that filing for AOS on a tourist visa is not illegal. The challenge for you is to prove that your plan to leave after getting married was genuine. It's good that you are using a lawyer because you might need it.

Timeline after visa approval

Immigrant fee paid on ELIS - Jan 24th

POE - Jan 25th

Update on GC and SSN

(as of March 14th, 2014)

ELIS status - Closed (Card produced)

USCIS case check with receipt number (starts with IOE) - Card delivered in the mail

SSN - Received (Went to SSA location to apply for one)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-400 Naturalization Process

N-400 package mailed in - Nov 7th

Payment posted on cc account - Nov 10th

NOA (hard copy) - Nov 14th

Biometrics - Dec 7th

In Line - Dec 27th

Hello

Just so I have this right. You entered the country as a Canadian tourist and got married within about a week of being here, and now you want to AOS from within the US based on marriage to a USC?

Your lawyer is wrong. Get a new lawyer. Someone who has left the 80s.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Your lawyer is wrong. Get a new lawyer. Someone who has left the 80s.

lol!

Adjusting from B-2
AOS

08/23/2013 - Package Mailed

08/25/2013 - Package delivered
08/29/2013 - Email/text notifications received

08/30/2013 - Checks Cleared
09/03/2013 - NOA hard copies received

09/09/2013 - Received Biometrics Appointment for 9/25
09/13/2013 - Text/Email for RFE (I-864 & I-94)

09/16/2013 - Completed Biometricks (Walk In)

(Long gap in sending RFE back because I had to complete I-94 application and tried to wait for decision but ended up submitting RFE for I-864 with I-94 NOA)

11/29/2013 - RFE response sent

12/30/2014 - EAD received

01/06/2014 - I-94 Approved!!!!!
02/06/2014 - Interview (had to go back to civil surgeon to re-do paperwork and make sure this time he signs it. Took care of it that very same day and dropped it off at the USCIS office the following morning.
02/14/2014 - Green card received!!!

Thank you VJ for all your help!!!!

Timeline

Just so I have this right. You entered the country as a Canadian tourist and got married within about a week of being here, and now you want to AOS from within the US based on marriage to a USC?

Yes that is correct.

The situation in Egypt is not something that happened recently. It's been reported in the news at least for the past several months about the deterioration of the political situation in the country. I think you should be more concerned about finding a convincing reason for wanting to go to a country that is still in the midst of a revolution instead of whether to file in 30 or 60 days.

It's true that filing for AOS on a tourist visa is not illegal. The challenge for you is to prove that your plan to leave after getting married was genuine. It's good that you are using a lawyer because you might need it.

We were fine with the peaceful demonstrations, but when the initial removal of the demonstrators happened the day before we were suppose to leave, so that changed our mind. We are international teachers, and would have been outside of Cairo.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sri Lanka
Timeline

I think that one reason to wait is to gather more evidence. After I married my husband, we got an apartment together, a bank account together (which you may or may not be able to get without a SSN), and so on. That took some time.

Sept 22 2009 Married

Mar 8 2010 Sent AOS paperwork to Chicago Lock box

Mar 10 2010 Paperwork received by USCIS

Mar 16 2010 Received acknowledgment emails

Mar 17 2010 Checks cashed

Apr 09 2010 Biometrics Appointment

Jun 16 2010 Interview- approved on the spot- no stamp

Jul 03 2010 Green card received

Timeline

Another thing I was wondering was, if my wife and I go to visit Canada during this whole process I know I have to fill out an I-131, but does she have to fill out anything, or is she fine to go back and forth as she was before we were married?

Your wife is a USC and always has the right to return to the US. Whether Canada lets her in is their business, though they most likely will.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Hello

Yes that is correct.

We were fine with the peaceful demonstrations, but when the initial removal of the demonstrators happened the day before we were suppose to leave, so that changed our mind. We are international teachers, and would have been outside of Cairo.

While there is no set timeline for marrying a USC and filing for AOS, getting married within a week of entering the US and filing for AOS will appear a bit suspicious. It is considered visa fraud to enter the US on a tourist visa with the intent to immigrate. Whether this is the case here or not, only you and your spouse truly know. Luckily the burden of proof is on USCIS and not you. You can expect to be questioned about this, but it probably won't affect you AOS.

When you were going to go to Egypt after getting married, what were your plans for getting your green card?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.