Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

L1B to H1B status change and Travel Queries

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I am on L1B with I94 expiring on Feb 2014 from Company X, I found an employer Company Y and they have filed my H1B and my wife's H4 in May 2013 under regular processing with CoS effective from 1st Oct 2013.

My application got selected in lottery and right now its status is RFE. My employer Company Y has asked me to submit the required document.

Due to some urgent family reason we have to travel to my home country (India) after Oct 2013, once my H1B gets approved. My wife has to travel in mid of Oct 2013 and I have to travel in mid of Nov 2013.

While sending reply to RFE, can we convert our application from CoS to Consular processing and travel to India using L1B (after my H1B petition is approved with consular processing) and come back with L1B? I dont want to go to stamping in India this year in Nov 2013 (bcas it may get rejected).

Once I am back from India by Dec 2013 using L1B and I would like to change my status from L1B to H1B and then start working for employer Y. I would like to go to stamping next year end (Dec 2014) when I go out of US.

Please advise the best possible way.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You cannot use the L1 visa once you have stopped working with that employer, changed your status to H1B, and started to work for the new company. Attempting to do so at a POE would be fraud -- and you would not be permitted entry and would perhaps result in a long-term ban on entry in any status.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You will need a Visa to return.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.