Lisi

RFE Divorce Decree

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I got the RFE letter today and it says, "The divorce decree submitted does not show evidence of being civilly filed, signed by a judge, or recorded. As such, the peripheral is requested to submit a legible copy, including all pages of the final divorce decree that shows proof of filing that terminated the prior marriage."

Has anyone else had this or knows what info to send? Help please!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Just went thru this too..you need to get a certified copy from the courthouse where the divorce took place. get 2 certified copies send 1 and you keep the other :)

Timeline

Just went thru this too..you need to get a certified copy from the courthouse where the divorce took place. get 2 certified copies send 1 and you keep the other smile.png

Thanks! He's going to go to the court on Monday to get a copy. Can he just scan it and send it to me or does he have to mail me the original and then I have to send the original? Shouldn't a copy be fine because all the other docs we sent were copies.

Filed: Timeline

I recommend he send you an original with signature and with the colored official stamps etc. I had to get my registered copy from Colombia South America and it was on Legal size paper 8 1/2 x 14 inches so not easy to scan and copy.

Best of luck. Fortunately, you do not need to have it translated into English!!!!

Timeline

he MUST send the certified copy..don't scan ..it MUST have the raised seal..trust me..been going around with NVC last couple months over this..case just got completed..as I say..get 2 copies certified!..this is VERY VERY important!

Timeline

don't send a copy of it..they must be able to feel that raised seal...Im sooo glad this all is behind us..I still shake my head at the mistakes we made..he would be here now if we had did it right the first time...

Timeline

don't send a copy of it..they must be able to feel that raised seal...Im sooo glad this all is behind us..I still shake my head at the mistakes we made..he would be here now if we had did it right the first time...

Ok, I'll send the original. Thanks for the advice! I shake my head at the mistake too, we sent a letter from his divorce attorney and a copy of some sort of divorce info, but now I know we have to get the decree absolute and send it. *sigh* I know this process can be so frustrating and tiring at times. I know it'll be worth it in the end, and if this is the worse thing that happens during this whole process, then I'll consider it a minor speed bump and know it could always be worse!

I got the RFE letter today and it says, "The divorce decree submitted does not show evidence of being civilly filed, signed by a judge, or recorded. As such, the peripheral is requested to submit a legible copy, including all pages of the final divorce decree that shows proof of filing that terminated the prior marriage."

Has anyone else had this or knows what info to send? Help please!

Yes, I know about this and have the answer if you are speaking of a UK divorce. You need a UK answer for this and so PLEASE read this post because it's too long to repeat.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/349030-petition-denied/?p=5125410

(post 29 in case it doesn't pop over to the start.). The post covers more stuff, so read the divorce decree part and RFE response suggested.

Hey-- and don't ever mail in originals.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

he MUST send the certified copy..don't scan ..it MUST have the raised seal..trust me..been going around with NVC last couple months over this..case just got completed..as I say..get 2 copies certified!..this is VERY VERY important!

No it does not have to be the original. In fact, no one should send in their original documents because they won't get them back. All that is required is a photocopy. It states this on the USCIS website and in the I-129F form instructions. The stamp/seal just needs to be clear and legible when making a copy.

The requirements for other visa types that must send documents to the NVC are different from those of the I-129F petition. Nothing is sent to the NVC.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

I didn't say Original..You can GET a CERTIFIED copy of it at the courthouse where divorce took place..a CERTIFIED copy is as GOOD as an original..BELIVE me I JUST went thru this with the NVC..

Timeline

and Just to be sure they were no more mistakes..we got 4 CERTIFIED copies from the courthouse and It cost $20 total...I made Sure I was gonna get it right...Its been an absolute headache ands weeks passing waiting on NVC..and each country is diff for items...

and Im the petitioner so this was for the American courts..

Timeline

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I really appreciate all the feedback. This forum has been such an awesome resource, I really don't panic when something comes up, because the advice on here has been great. I will have my fiance go and get the copy and have him send me a color scan of it and then I will highlight the info and mail it off. I've read that people have gotten their approvals shortly after responding to the RFE (providing they gave the info correctly and all the stars aligned!) so I'm really hopeful that this will be a minor hiccup in the process. (Fingers crossed and wishful thinking!!!!)

Thank you again! :)

I didn't say Original..You can GET a CERTIFIED copy of it at the courthouse where divorce took place..a CERTIFIED copy is as GOOD as an original..BELIVE me I JUST went thru this with the NVC..

I believe the divorce is in the UK. There is no raised seal. There is no signature. There is a red ink stamp from the court. Occasionally, workers at USCIS do not know that what she submitted is the one and only valid divorce decree absolute from the United Kingdom. A judge does not sign the document.

There is nothing sent to NVC by a K1. Their file passes in and out of NVC in 3 days. She needs a color PHOTOCOPY of the original to submit to USCIS for her petition to show he is free to marry. When her fiancé attends the interview in London, he will present the original in person. They will examine it and return it at the end of the interview. I have been through this process from K1 to US citizenship and have had to submit the unsigned, no raised seal, not certified UK photocopy that says "decree absolute" on several occasions. So have others from the United Kingdom. It is accepted. At the citizenship interview they request the original be brought in person. They keep the photocopy that was mailed with the application in the file and return the original.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.