Lucy and David

SSN - Oh dear I think I messed up

4 posts in this topic

I think I have blundered with my SSN, I didnt go to the office when I arrived as I already have a SSN from many years ago when I worked in the US on a J1 visa so I assumed I would be keeping the same number and would be able to just change the name after the wedding.

I have not been able to log into VJ properly since shortly after I arrived so had become frustrated with it and have now only just been able to use it again. Now I see that I should have gone to change the name on the SSN before my I-94 expiry date which has now sadly passed.

My questions are:

Can I still go to the office and change the name or will this cause me major problems?

Can I still complete the AOS etc forms without SSN if I cannot go & change the name?

Do I need to wait until I have either the EAD or GC to now sort out the SSN?

Many thanks in advance for any advice on this

That SSN is yours, even if the name is different. You won't be able to change the name now, though. You'll have to wait until you have your EAD. No big deal. Just fill out the AOS paperwork in your married name.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

There is no problem at all..You can fi;ll the AOS without the SSN..all u need is your alien number...the initally SSN u have can never change but u need to go the SS office to update your infomation in the system...there is no cause for alarm

I think I have blundered with my SSN, I didnt go to the office when I arrived as I already have a SSN from many years ago when I worked in the US on a J1 visa so I assumed I would be keeping the same number and would be able to just change the name after the wedding.

I have not been able to log into VJ properly since shortly after I arrived so had become frustrated with it and have now only just been able to use it again. Now I see that I should have gone to change the name on the SSN before my I-94 expiry date which has now sadly passed.

My questions are:

Can I still go to the office and change the name or will this cause me major problems?

Can I still complete the AOS etc forms without SSN if I cannot go & change the name?

Do I need to wait until I have either the EAD or GC to now sort out the SSN?

Many thanks in advance for any advice on this

You're not going to be able to do a thing with the SS card until you get the EAD. Unless you're eligible for a federal or state benefit which requires one. You can't even request a replacement card without permission to work or an unexpired I-94.

Just file your AOS, together with the EAD and AP, then get things done after the EAD arrives.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.