vivalagloria

GP refused my request for vaccinations

21 posts in this topic

I went to my GP's office and had a long conversation/debate with the receptionist after I tried to make an appointment with the nurse to get vaccinations. The receptionist had told me on the phone that she needed to see on paper which vaccinations I required, so I went to the Embassy website and printed off the Vaccination Requirements sheet. I took that in along with the questionnaire that I have to do for my visa medical, so she could see the kind of questions they're asking me.

She said "this isn't an official letter though, this is something you printed off the Internet. You should have been sent an official embossed package with all of these requirements in".

I said that's not the case, and said my letter from the Embassy in London is just one sheet (and it's not embossed. She said the word "embossed" like seven times. Geez) and it basically just directs me to the website to follow the instructions there.

But she wouldn't take that as "official".

I said fine, but said I needed a doctor's letter anyway as I was once on antidepressants, so I have to answer "yes" to the mental illness question, and I've read online (though I can't remember where, maybe it's just on here) that it's good to bring a note with details of anything like that, and documenting that yes I was on medication and I'm fine now. She also wouldn't make me an appointment for that, because if someone wants official documentation about my health record like that, I have to get the Embassy/Visa medical people to send my GP and official letter requesting it that information.

Is this normal?!

Has anyone else had trouble getting their GP to co-operate? If I go to the medical and DON'T have a note from my doctor saying I'm fine now, will they be able to just contact my GP for more information??

I-229f petition sent: January 11th 2013

Visa in hand: 16th October

Fly to America! Saturday 19th October! :D

Adjustment of Status:

I-485 filed: January 24th 2014

Notice of Potential Interview Waiver letter received: May 15th

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You could just go to a travel clinic there are loads in the uk.. Also if you want to you could pay a fee and request your medical history from you doctors

I replied to someone on a similar topic to this recently. My responses are here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/440216-confused/?p=6391693

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/440216-confused/?p=6391721

It has a couple links to NHS info about what vaccinations they should be giving you.

Some GPs will charge for the jabs, but they shouldn't be flat refusing you.

And on the topic of your records, you have the right to request any and all information from your own records.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1309.aspx?categoryid=68

If in doubt, go back and start quoting the data protection act at them. :)

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

What the heck?? Let me give you one piece of good advice...

Change doctors idea9dv.gif

You are right in saying you need a docs note if you have been on antidepressants. Liklihood is they will not contact ur docs for you they will ask you to do it and fax them the letter. you really need to switch to a different doctors surgery

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

What the heck?? Let me give you one piece of good advice...

Change doctors idea9dv.gif

You are right in saying you need a docs note if you have been on antidepressants. Liklihood is they will not contact ur docs for you they will ask you to do it and fax them the letter. you really need to switch to a different doctors surgery

+1

I actually suspect it's a particularly crappy receptionist trying to block things she thinks are inappropriate and will waste the Drs time. They should probably just fire her and get someone who does their job properly.

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

You know what, I had a TERRIBLE experience with one of the doctors at this surgery when I wanted a doctor's note, he was SO RUDE. Unfortunately this is a small village and it's the only surgery that's within walking distance so that was the one I registered with. It doesn't seem worth it to find another one just for the last month or so of me living here.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a webpage that tells me to bring a doctors note about the previous medication??

I might just get the vaccinations done at Knightsbridge just to get it out of the way. This receptionist did tell me they'd charge for them anyway, so I think they'd probably be about the same price.

Adjustment of Status:

Lie about the reason for needing an appointment (not that you should need to !) and get in front of the Doctor and tell him what you need (the letter) and would like (vaccines). Some receptionists need reminding that they are there to help doctors not get in the way.

I was pleasantly surprised that with the assistance of the practice nurse I got all my jabs and got them for free. Just make sure you get the right TDAP i.e the one with pertussis and not polio. I didn't but seemed to have luckily dodged that one :-)

Richard

event.png

event.png

Can anyone point me in the direction of a webpage that tells me to bring a doctors note about the previous medication??

I might just get the vaccinations done at Knightsbridge just to get it out of the way. This receptionist did tell me they'd charge for them anyway, so I think they'd probably be about the same price.

I don't think it does explicitly say anywhere to bring records (except for if you had TB), but as I said, they are *legally required* to provide you with this information, even if you have to make a formal request for it in writing. You don't have to provide them with a reason to give it to you, and you don't have to give that stupid receptionist a reason to want to see your GP to discuss your health records/previous/on-going condition.

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

I went to my GP's office and had a long conversation/debate with the receptionist after I tried to make an appointment with the nurse to get vaccinations. The receptionist had told me on the phone that she needed to see on paper which vaccinations I required, so I went to the Embassy website and printed off the Vaccination Requirements sheet. I took that in along with the questionnaire that I have to do for my visa medical, so she could see the kind of questions they're asking me.

She said "this isn't an official letter though, this is something you printed off the Internet. You should have been sent an official embossed package with all of these requirements in".

I said that's not the case, and said my letter from the Embassy in London is just one sheet (and it's not embossed. She said the word "embossed" like seven times. Geez) and it basically just directs me to the website to follow the instructions there.

But she wouldn't take that as "official".

I said fine, but said I needed a doctor's letter anyway as I was once on antidepressants, so I have to answer "yes" to the mental illness question, and I've read online (though I can't remember where, maybe it's just on here) that it's good to bring a note with details of anything like that, and documenting that yes I was on medication and I'm fine now. She also wouldn't make me an appointment for that, because if someone wants official documentation about my health record like that, I have to get the Embassy/Visa medical people to send my GP and official letter requesting it that information.

Is this normal?!

Has anyone else had trouble getting their GP to co-operate? If I go to the medical and DON'T have a note from my doctor saying I'm fine now, will they be able to just contact my GP for more information??

Your doctors are being idiots. I just had my medical today. The Knightsbridge doctor said to me that the doctor's letter I handed her "saved us both a lot of time and hassle", meaning they would probably have needed one anyway or had to refer me for a psychiatric exam if I hadn't had one.

That is just crazy. I booked an appointment with the nurse, told her what vaccinations I needed, and she sat with me and went through my vaccination history to check and I didn't need any.

I had an appointment with the doctor and told her what I needed, she asked if I could just put it in writing and sign it given that I'm asking her to write about/print out confidential information. I handed the letter in, they were a bit slow but a couple of weeks later (and a £20 payment), she'd written and signed me a very detailed, good letter about my mental health and printed out a signed copy of my vaccination records. I even specified I wanted both on letter headed paper which she did.

You don't have to tell the receptionist what your appointment is about. Just book an appointment with the doctor and discuss it with them. It's nothing to do with the receptionist. It's confidential.

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Your Doctor's surgery staff are idiots. Sometimes the receptionists are hugely over officious. Try just making an appointment with the practice nurse and say it's confidential if the receptionist asks, you don't HAVE to tell them! My personal experience from just last week...

I went to my surgery, booked an appointment with the practice nurse (receptionist asked why, I said vaccinations for travelling), the nurse gave me my TD on the spot for free, found out that I needed no others and then (as the surgery still had old vaccination records on paper and some on computer) really nicely offered to put it all on the computer and print it out with all my records for me so I could collect it later in the week. She seemed really interested in the requirements and was super helpful. No hassle at all!

NHS can be great (sometimes)!

Edited by Hotter Otter

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

I had a heart murmur and it was nothing, I spoke to my GP pn the phone and he printed off the records and posted them to me, no charge, you should be able to do similar. The jabs I just got done at knightsbridge doctors, (weds 7 Aug.) tetanus diptheria polio was one, MMR the other, £68 and it it put on to a US DOS form for you as well. I still need a booster for MMR in 4 weeks or so.. if you are going to pay anyway i would get them done there. Just make something up to see your GP and when you tell him the real reason why you are there, tell him the receptionist is being a pain. You might be able to see the practice nurse for jabs though.

Go somewhere else if possible...or make up a story to get directly to the Dr.

I went to my Dr's, the nurse gave me tdap and MMR1, booked in for an appt a month later to give me MMR2 - done! She then printed off a screenshot of my vaccinations history which wasn't even signed, just had my name/age/address/surgery address and a list of shots I've had. Knightsbridge accepted that fine and now I have all my necessary shots done for free!

Is this normal?!

Not normal. And FYI, the immunization list on the London website is four years out of date.

You are not required to bring a letter. That is being personally proactive. When you go to your medical and claim depression, the doctor will discuss it with you. If he feels like he needs more information by a physician who knows your history better, he will write something to your doctor telling what he wants. Generally that is a brief statement telling when, how long, what meds, prognosis, harmful behaviors, etc. Your GP will respond directly to Knightsbridge. They don't need to have print outs of your exact medical records.

You tried to get ahead. It didn't work because of a guard dog receptionist. Just go to your medical now and see if they even want more details from your doctor. If so, yes it will delay you some waiting for a response from your GP before they can send your medical results to the embassy.

Do try to get a printout of any previous immunizations you have already had.

Comment on nobbie's post "The jabs I just got done at knightsbridge doctors, (weds 7 Aug.) tetanus diptheria polio was one, "

Tdap is tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough). Polio is not on the adult list.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thanks everyone.

I managed to get a printout of my vaccination record, so that's something.

I saw a counsellor this year, though that was private and not through the NHS. Do you think maybe a letter from her would be suitable instead of a GP one?

Adjustment of Status:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.