peteycosta

LPR Bringing Spouse and Adopted Children, NEED HELP!

9 posts in this topic

Hello VJers!

We have a somewhat complicated situation and need some straight answers that will help us with what is happening. Here's our story.

My wife (now a USC, went through CR-1/IR-1, DCF filed in Buenos Aires Argentina Embassy) has her family that is in Argentina still. Sadly, her sister passed away 2 years ago from breast cancer and left 2 children, a 5 year old and 3 year old. Their father hasn't been the most responsible and my wife's parents have been taking care of the children on/off for the past 2 years . Now that my wife is a USC she is wanting to petition her parents. Her parents told the father that they were going to be moving to the USA and that he would have to take care of them permanently. The father and his new wife/children decided that they would have a better life here in the US and offered them for adoption to my wife's parents. Confused? Ok..

From my understanding we could do the following:

-Petition for my wife's father.

-When her father arrives in the US, he would do a petition for the Family 2A category visa for his spouse(my wife's mother), and then 2 *hopefully* adopted children.

-Spouse would stay in Argentina and care/provide for them until the 2-3 year wait of an available visa.

-Spouse/Children would come to the US

-Big Happy Family.

I've been reading about the requirements for adoptions, and this is where my questions arise...

-You must have at least 2 years evidence of both legal and physical care of the adopted children? Is this correct?

-Would this 2 years be valid even though it is just the spouse that is caring for the adopted children?

-Would they have to be legally adopted for 2 years at the time of the interview or at the time of petitioning the i-130?

We had considered doing the green card petition and then my father-in-law returns to Argentina and comes back later on a reentry permit, but because of employment issues it would be more practical for him to come to the US and work here.

We are hopefully going to do his I-130 in the next 2-3 weeks so please let us know if I'm missing anything crucial (like trying to get the adoption done before doing his petition so that way we can include his new children under the i-130 paperwork.)

Abrazo!

Quick question! I just read on Visa Bulletin, and it says that F2A categories are current? Does that mean that there is no wait time for i-130 approval? So the 2-3 years is now 5-7 months?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

More like 9-11 months but yes, as of now there is no waiting list, just procesing times.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Adoption is one thing. Immigration visas for the children is another thing.

The adopted child must be an "orphan" as defined by immigration laws. You will need to prove that the father abandoned the children or cannot provide care for them. Please look into this before starting.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=724c18a1f8b73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=724c18a1f8b73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Edited by aaron2020

Peteycosta, I'm confused. Why doesn't the children's father take them to The US when he moves there? Your wife can take of them until her parents get there and then custody of the children can be sorted out afterwards. Please let me know if I misunderstood the sentence "The father and his new wife/children..." ~~~

:energy:I am the beneficiary :energy:

h5Wpm5.png

event.png

event.png

Apr 18, 2014 ~ Date of Marriage (City Hall - New York, NY USA) (L)(F)(L)

USCIS

Jun 02, 2014 - I -130 package mailed to Chicago Lockbox via USPS (Priority Mail)

Jun 04, 2014 - I -130 package delivered

Jun 05, 2014 - PRIORITY DATE B-)

Jun 08, 2014 - NOA1 (USCIS acceptance confirmation via e-mail)/package routed to VSC

Jun 12, 2014 - NOA1 (hard copy)

Mar 24, 2015 - Transfer Notice (e-mail)

Mar 28, 2015 - Transfer Notice. Case transferred to California Service Center (regular mail)

Mar 31, 2015 - NOA2 (e-mail) Yipppiiiieeeee!!! :dancing::dance:

Apr 04, 2015 - NOA2 (regular mail)

NVC

Apr 27, 2015 - NVC received case

May 12, 2015 - Affidavit of Support (AOS) Fee invoiced

May 15, 2015 - NVC Welcome Letter (regular mail)

May 26, 2015 - DS-261 (Choice of Agent Form) submitted

May 26, 2015 - AOS Fee paid (Staus: In Process)

May 27, 2015 - AOS Fee (Staus: Paid)

Aug 12, 2015 - IV Fee paid (Staus: In Process)

Aug 14, 2015 - IV Fee (Staus: Paid)

Aug 27, 2015 - I-864 EZ filled out

Aug 27, 2015 - DS 260 submitted

Aug 28, 2015 - AOS and IV packages mailed to NVC

Aug 31, 2015 - NVC receives AOS and IV packages

Sep 03, 2015 - NVC confirms they rec'd packages (e-mail)

The question I asked was more based on qualifying to be an adopted child available for an Immediate Family Visa. Argentina is not part of the Hague Adoption Convention, neither would they be orphans because technically they would be adopted before the petition has been sent out for them (hopefully). I believe if we were to do a petition for an orphan they would actually have to be abandoned and not have any legal guardian at the time of being petitioned for. Also, adoption in Argentina is horrible and can take years to complete, so who knows, in the end it may not be the US visa process that is difficult but the ridiculous argentine bureaucracy that would keep my wife's parents from adopting their grandchildren and bringing them to the US.

The biological father of these kids has married someone who already had children. She and him have basically arrived at the conclusion that their family would function better if his own children were to live with their grandparents. It's really sad, and I can't imagine why someone would want to basically abandon their children because of inconvenience.

@Miss Tams, the father I was referring to was my wife's father, or the grandfather of the children. The biological father and his new wife are Argentine nationals and have no link to anybody that lives in the United States. Therefore they have no way of receiving/petitioning for any type of family-based visa.

Timeline

The question I asked was more based on qualifying to be an adopted child available for an Immediate Family Visa. Argentina is not part of the Hague Adoption Convention, neither would they be orphans because technically they would be adopted before the petition has been sent out for them (hopefully). I believe if we were to do a petition for an orphan they would actually have to be abandoned and not have any legal guardian at the time of being petitioned for. Also, adoption in Argentina is horrible and can take years to complete, so who knows, in the end it may not be the US visa process that is difficult but the ridiculous argentine bureaucracy that would keep my wife's parents from adopting their grandchildren and bringing them to the US.

The biological father of these kids has married someone who already had children. She and him have basically arrived at the conclusion that their family would function better if his own children were to live with their grandparents. It's really sad, and I can't imagine why someone would want to basically abandon their children because of inconvenience.

@Miss Tams, the father I was referring to was my wife's father, or the grandfather of the children. The biological father and his new wife are Argentine nationals and have no link to anybody that lives in the United States. Therefore they have no way of receiving/petitioning for any type of family-based visa.

You may want to consult with a reputable immigration attorney.

Your statement that they would not be orphans because they have adopted parents is not the correct definition of orphan for immigration purposes.

The US is concern about sham adoptions to bring relatives who otherwise would not qualify as adopted children. There are very specific rules.

In a case like your parents, the fact that there is a living parent will present a major problem.

Timeline

Here is how the US looks at a situation like this.

USC aunt can never file for a nephew or niece.

Grandparents can never file for grandchildren.

A living parent not related to the USC aunt or grandparents who cannot bring the kids to the US.

There is no relationship that allows the children to immigrate through a family member.

Sham adoption to allow children to be petitioned.

Your parents need to prove that the adoptions were not just for immigration visas. The burden is on them because they want something from the US government. It's not up to the US to prove the adoption was a sham. It's up to the adopted parents to prove the adoptions was not motivated by immigration. It will be hard to do if you petition and the timing is close to the adoptions.

This is why you need a good immigration lawyer if you are going to pursue this.

The worst case scenario is a successful adoption and no immigration visas.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.