jr_moniz

I've been approved! But I still have enquiries

8 posts in this topic

Hello VJ,

On August 1st 2013 I was approved by the US Embassy in London and I'm really excited and glad that this has happened considering the time and effort it has taken us to fight this process for the past few months.

I will be flying off to America on August 15th but I have some questions concerning my travelling.

Now I know I will receive an envelope with documents inside which I must hand to the Officer over in America and I am NOT allowed to open the envelope but I have some questions.

Is that all I must provide the Officer?

Do I still need to bring my Police Certificate, Sponsor Support Forms, Birth Certificate etc.

Or will this envelope just contain all of this information?

I know I must bring my medical results and various other things with me but I don't think that's for the Officers eyes but more for when I start to settle into America and apply for Citizenship.

I just want to know before I start packing because I don't want to put important documents in my suitcase instead of my hand luggage and then asked for it and I don't have it on me.

Thank you for reading this post.

Ricardo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

your file in the MYsterious Brown Envelope contains the birth cert, police cert etc. So you won't need copies for immigration, but you also won;t get the stuff back. It would be a good idea to bring copies of the birth cert, marriage cert etc as you may need them in your future life for various things.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

your file in the MYsterious Brown Envelope contains the birth cert, police cert etc. So you won't need copies for immigration, but you also won;t get the stuff back. It would be a good idea to bring copies of the birth cert, marriage cert etc as you may need them in your future life for various things.

Oh...OK.

What about my passport though since they have it?

Do I get that back?

Will that come in the envelope because I kind of need that to travel to the US.

They also have my only copy of my Police Certificate. Would I really need one in the future?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You shouldn;t need the police cert, unless possibly you;ll be applying to work with kids etc. The passport should be outside the brown envelope :)

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

You shouldn;t need the police cert, unless possibly you;ll be applying to work with kids etc. The passport should be outside the brown envelope smile.png

OK.

Thank you.

What about Birth Certificate though?

They don't have my original but they have a certified copy from my Embassy.

Would I need that one?

I have a certified translated one though but it doesn't include some signatures.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~Moved from K-1 Process to K-1 Progress Forum~~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You'll need allthat stuff for AOS and naturalization. Bring everything.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Oh...OK.

What about my passport though since they have it?

Do I get that back?

Will that come in the envelope because I kind of need that to travel to the US.

They also have my only copy of my Police Certificate. Would I really need one in the future?

The passport will be returned to you with the mysterious envelope (I think mine was actually white!). Your passport will have your K1 visa stuck onto one of its pages.

As already mentioned, you will need your birth certificate for AOS, so bring that with you. I would suggest that any paperwork like that, you bring in your carry-on luggage and not trust it to the hold of the plane. Also, remember the CD of your chest x-ray given to you at the medical - that can go in your hold luggage. Another thing to remember for your hand luggage is the sheet of paper given to you at the medical with your vaccination records - you will need that for AOS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.