Waitinggent

Travel Question (merged)

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You could always get her one of the new three year Russian tourist visas for her US Passport and eliminate any issues that way.

This is true also.

I think the issue is more than just the logistics of of an annual visit. I/We believe that it is always good to keep something you already have. We consider it a big benefit, for example, that our children speak multiple languages and have multiple passports. Such things are just assets that are good to have. Any Amer/RUB couple should be making sure their children speak BOTH languages...it is never a bad thing. Get BOTH citizenships if you can. I consider it just another "arrow in the quiver" so to speak.

The added tourist visa would be the same...why not?

You have to put info about other passports, etc. on the application.

Wouldn't be a problem. Russia is not enforcing Ukraine law. Alla has shown both passports on entering Russia. No questions asked.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I just know people who were born in the Ukrainian SSR who left as children when they were small who have had trouble getting visas because they once had Soviet citizenship and now needed to prove they gave it up when they left. Do you know people with Ukrainian citizenship who got visas at the US consulate? The three-year visa also requires more scrutiny and, in NYC, an interview.

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

I just know people who were born in the Ukrainian SSR who left as children when they were small who have had trouble getting visas because they once had Soviet citizenship and now needed to prove they gave it up when they left. Do you know people with Ukrainian citizenship who got visas at the US consulate? The three-year visa also requires more scrutiny and, in NYC, an interview.

This is a situation where there is a problem sometimes (I am not sure of the exact details) If a person left during the Soviet Union they can have difficulty if they left under certain circumstances. We know a woman who is Jewsih and who's family left Russia during the USSR when she was a child as Russia was allowing Jews to leave. There is actually a neighborhood in Burlington which was settled largely by Russian/Jewish "refugees" and is still heavily Russian/Jewish. She has US citizenship now and cannot have dual citizenship with Russia as she had to renounce that and can never get it back. (so she has been told) So, yes, there are some such instances.

This particular woman is Russian born and she has received visas to go back to Russia. They will not allow her to have a Russian passport.

Alla's US passport says she was born in "Ukrainian SSR", some say "Ukraine" I think it depends where you list their country of birth on their immigration forms. Her green card said that also. Sergey's green card says his country of birth is "unknown" unsure.png

I do not know any people with Ukraine citizenship who have received Russian visas...I am a bit confused by the question. Why would they? Alla enters Russia using her Ukraine passport without a visa. I think you mean to ask if I know any US citizens born in Ukraine who have received Russian visas for their US passport...correct? No, I do not. Every US citizen I know that was born in Ukraine still has their Ukraine passport. We have several acquaitances that have both passports

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

If you left while it was still USSR, you would need to prove that your citizenship was renounced or revoked for them to issue you a visa. I assume that they consider USSR citizenship as Russian citizenship (as you left, you never got Ukrainian citizenship when it became an independent country), thus you need to prove that you lost the citizenship or come in on a Russian passport. They do not always enforce this though. My cousin who left Ukraine while it was still USSR as a refugee and had USSR citizenship revoked as a result one time got a Russian visa without any questions asked. Another time they asked to see the visa that he exited USSR with before they would issue the visa.

I left Ukraine when it was already an independent country, and Russia gave me a visa on my US passport with no questions asked (I do not have a Ukrainian passport, and have no idea if technically I'm still considered a citizen of Ukraine or not, never had trouble entering Ukraine on my US passport).

1/4/13 - I129-F Sent | 1/8/13 - Received by USCIS
1/10/13 - NOA1 to VSC | 1/11/13 - Text/Email | 1/17/13 - Hard Copy Received
1/16/13 - Alien Registration Number changed
5/24/13 or 5/29/13 - Case Transferred to TSC
7/2/13 - NOA2 from TSC! (173 days from NOA1) | 7/6/13 - Hard Copy Received
7/18/13 - Shipped to NVC | 7/26/13 - Received at NVC and case number assigned
7/29/13 - In transit to consulate | 7/31/13 - Received by consulate
8/20/13 - Medical - Passed | 8/21/13 - Interview - Approved!
8/28/13 - Passport with visa ready to pickup from courier
10/17/13 - POE - JFK
10/28/13 - Applied for SSN and marriage license | 11/2/13 - SS card received
11/21/13 - Wedding

12/30/13 - I485/I765/I131 Sent | 1/2/14 - Received by USCIS
1/3/14 - NOA1 to NBC | 1/16/14 - Hard Copy Received
2/4/14 - Biometrics
3/7/14 - AP and EAD approved!
3/11/14 - AP/EAD card mailed | 3/14/14 - Received
4/10/14 - Interview Waiver letter
6/16/14 - Approved! | 6/21/14 - GC Received

5/2/16 - I-751 Sent | 5/5/16 - Received by USCIS
5/6/16 - NOA1 to VSC
6/14/16 - Biometrics

4/19/17 - Approved! | 4/22/17 - Letter received | 5/4/17 - GC Received

Timeline

This is a situation where there is a problem sometimes (I am not sure of the exact details) If a person left during the Soviet Union they can have difficulty if they left under certain circumstances. We know a woman who is Jewsih and who's family left Russia during the USSR when she was a child as Russia was allowing Jews to leave. There is actually a neighborhood in Burlington which was settled largely by Russian/Jewish "refugees" and is still heavily Russian/Jewish. She has US citizenship now and cannot have dual citizenship with Russia as she had to renounce that and can never get it back. (so she has been told) So, yes, there are some such instances.

This particular woman is Russian born and she has received visas to go back to Russia. They will not allow her to have a Russian passport.

Alla's US passport says she was born in "Ukrainian SSR", some say "Ukraine" I think it depends where you list their country of birth on their immigration forms. Her green card said that also. Sergey's green card says his country of birth is "unknown" unsure.png

I do not know any people with Ukraine citizenship who have received Russian visas...I am a bit confused by the question. Why would they? Alla enters Russia using her Ukraine passport without a visa. I think you mean to ask if I know any US citizens born in Ukraine who have received Russian visas for their US passport...correct? No, I do not. Every US citizen I know that was born in Ukraine still has their Ukraine passport. We have several acquaitances that have both passports

Right, I was asking if Russia would even give out a visa to someone who has a Ukrainian passport in addition to a US one. Not because of Ukrainian citizenship laws, but because this person is entitled to enter without a visa, like how they won't issue visas to Russian citizens with US passports. I often see people who are obviously Russian use their blue passports to get on the plane back, so I don't think it's a problem to use one entering and one exiting, but I don't know....

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

Right, I was asking if Russia would even give out a visa to someone who has a Ukrainian passport in addition to a US one. Not because of Ukrainian citizenship laws, but because this person is entitled to enter without a visa, like how they won't issue visas to Russian citizens with US passports. I often see people who are obviously Russian use their blue passports to get on the plane back, so I don't think it's a problem to use one entering and one exiting, but I don't know....

Oh, OK, I get it. I don't know. The people we know generally keep their Ukraine passport for the purpose of visiting Russia without a visa and never apply for one.

I know of some people that show a Ukrainian passport on entering Russia and a US passport on leaving. Seems not to be a problem.

Ukraine is not an issue really because US citizens do not need visas anyway.

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

According to the US embassy:

Ukraine does not recognize dual nationality. Local authorities will treat dual nationals entering the country on Ukrainian passports as citizens of Ukraine. This may include fulfilling requirements for mandatory military service. In addition, individuals who do not relinquish their Ukrainian citizenship upon acquiring U.S. citizenship face potential fines.

I have never heard of anybody getting fined for not relinquishing Ukrainian citizenship, or ever heard of anybody have any trouble upon entering or leaving using either the Ukrainian or US passports. You might have trouble if you're a male of conscript age.

I think the most important points are that you will be treated as a citizen of Ukraine when in Ukraine and a US Citizen in the USA. So for example if a dual citizen were arrested in Ukraine they would have no right to speak with an embassy official and the same is true if in the USA.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

People holding a valid US Passport will always be welcome into a US Consulate.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I assume they would, though I don't know why someone would even want the headache of getting the visa if they can enter without one by using a Ukrainian passport. The reason they won't let a Russian citizen get a visa is that by Russian law you must use your Russian passport to enter Russia if you have a Russian citizenship (the same with the US where you must use your US passport to enter the US). There is no law that you must use your Ukrainian passport to enter Russia as opposed to a US passport. Both are foreign countries.

1/4/13 - I129-F Sent | 1/8/13 - Received by USCIS
1/10/13 - NOA1 to VSC | 1/11/13 - Text/Email | 1/17/13 - Hard Copy Received
1/16/13 - Alien Registration Number changed
5/24/13 or 5/29/13 - Case Transferred to TSC
7/2/13 - NOA2 from TSC! (173 days from NOA1) | 7/6/13 - Hard Copy Received
7/18/13 - Shipped to NVC | 7/26/13 - Received at NVC and case number assigned
7/29/13 - In transit to consulate | 7/31/13 - Received by consulate
8/20/13 - Medical - Passed | 8/21/13 - Interview - Approved!
8/28/13 - Passport with visa ready to pickup from courier
10/17/13 - POE - JFK
10/28/13 - Applied for SSN and marriage license | 11/2/13 - SS card received
11/21/13 - Wedding

12/30/13 - I485/I765/I131 Sent | 1/2/14 - Received by USCIS
1/3/14 - NOA1 to NBC | 1/16/14 - Hard Copy Received
2/4/14 - Biometrics
3/7/14 - AP and EAD approved!
3/11/14 - AP/EAD card mailed | 3/14/14 - Received
4/10/14 - Interview Waiver letter
6/16/14 - Approved! | 6/21/14 - GC Received

5/2/16 - I-751 Sent | 5/5/16 - Received by USCIS
5/6/16 - NOA1 to VSC
6/14/16 - Biometrics

4/19/17 - Approved! | 4/22/17 - Letter received | 5/4/17 - GC Received

Timeline

People holding a valid US Passport will always be welcome into a US Consulate.

Sure, they'll welcome you, but in the case of dual citizenship, they may not always be able to help you the way they would someone who is a US citizen only.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Sure, they'll welcome you, but in the case of dual citizenship, they may not always be able to help you the way they would someone who is a US citizen only.

How woudl they know? One doesn't have to wear a scarlet letter or anything.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

How woudl they know? One doesn't have to wear a scarlet letter or anything.

Come on. Governments know everything nowadays. And your birthplace is in your passport, and you'd be in the country without a visa because you're a citizen in the case of Russia, etc. it's a hard thing to hide.

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

Nah.

The US does not recognize dual citizenship, they will consider you a US citizen and have no regard for any other citizenship you may hold

Come on. Governments know everything nowadays. And your birthplace is in your passport, and you'd be in the country without a visa because you're a citizen in the case of Russia, etc. it's a hard thing to hide.

Doesn't matter if they know or not. You are a US citizen, you will be treated as any other US citizen.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.