Waitinggent

Travel Question (merged)

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

How woudl they know? One doesn't have to wear a scarlet letter or anything.

It would be easy enough to find out but it does not matter. A person is a US citizen or not a US citizen, there are no degrees of citizenship.

Yes the birthplace is shown in a passport, but it does not really mean anything, a person can be born overseas and be a US citizen from birth.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I think the most important points are that you will be treated as a citizen of Ukraine when in Ukraine and a US Citizen in the USA. So for example if a dual citizen were arrested in Ukraine they would have no right to speak with an embassy official and the same is true if in the USA.

Not at all correct. The US would always consider you a US citizen and would have no regard whatever for any other citizenships you hold.

The premise is very basic.

The US does not recognize any foreign citizenships...in the eyes of the US they do not exist. Not there. Nada, zip. Once you become a US citizen, you are a US citizen, period. You are always a US citizen no matter where you are.

The US does not forbid you from holding other citizenships but will never recognize they exist. ALL US citizens are entitled to the same treatment anywhere in the world at any time. The benefits and obligations you have from or to foreign citizenships are no concern to the US.

If arrested in Ukraine a dual citizen could claim his US citizenship and demand that he be represented by the US consulate. Ukraine could deny that if they wanted a whole lot of trouble. But why would they? In any case, if you commit crimes in Ukraine as a US citizen the US is going to hang you out to dry anyway...they would only make sure you received a trial in accordance with Ukraine law. US citizenship is not immunity from prosecution and the US does not intervene in foreign internal justice matters. Ask that guy that got caned in Indonesia or the woman that now has to go back to Italy and be tried a 2nd time for murder after being acquitted once.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Everything else I've heard has cautioned against it. Like, if you were in Russia and messed up big time, the USA would not be able to intervene diplomatically on your behalf.

Not sure if they could, but generally they would not. If you were being tortured or something, maybe yes, they may send in Seal Team 6, but if you just pull off a crime and are being held and tried under that country's law then tough shitski for you. The consulate may monitor it and even assign you an attorney, but they are not going to interfere in internal business of other countries.

Best to behave yourself. Ever seen "Midnight Express" ? I am still nervous about going to the beaches in Turkey after that and I don;t even do drugs.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.