decocker

Saying racism is over is the new saying you have 'a black friend'

170 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Why does everyone always think there's one answer. Blacks do not have their socio-economic position based solely on the color of their skin. I grant that racism plays its role today for sure but you're kidding yourself to explain the entire situation with this one reason.

good.gif

I'll say it again. I still think racism exists and is an issue. I guess my problem is that no one really cares about that. They can only see 4 inches in front of their face, which is this trial in Florida. They can't see the big picture. It's all about did GZ and TM first meet at the "T" and who said what to who first etc. etc.

The extreme short-sightedness of the whole thing is what drives me nuts. There's valid issues out there. I'm not saying that I'm gonna agree with all of them, but Jesus, every discussion revolves around that trial.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Do you just drop in the youtube video? That's cool.

Yep, just the link and it shows up automatically. Used to have to put in tags and all that. Not any more.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

good.gif

I'll say it again. I still think racism exists and is an issue. I guess my problem is that no one really cares about that. They can only see 4 inches in front of their face, which is this trial in Florida. They can't see the big picture. It's all about did GZ and TM first meet at the "T" and who said what to who first etc. etc.

The extreme short-sightedness of the whole thing is what drives me nuts. There's valid issues out there. I'm not saying that I'm gonna agree with all of them, but Jesus, every discussion revolves around that trial.

37% of wealth controlled by 1%

Blacks aren't the only ones being f'ed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I have no black friends. I am not racist.

I know that racism may exist in some people but it is not an excuse for bad behavior and social failure. Different people have different levels of difficulty in succeeding in this society. I do not accept that people "cannot" because they are black...or Asian, or Russian, or Mexican, or blind, or poor. There are far too many examples of success...the President and the US Attorney General are black. Just in my family are 3 decendants of SLAVES (Yes, Russia had slavery until 1867, Alla's family were "serfs") who are excelling in this country, even though they had to learn a new language to do it. And doing it in just a few years! Millions of people were murdered in their country just a generation ago. They have excelled not in a century, not generations...5 years! Our community has many people from Bosnia, oppressed and tortured and murdered in their country because of their religion, who have come here and now own homes and businesses, their children, the 2nd generation, are the same as normal teenagers here. They went from a small community of refugees and have scattered around and completely integrated into the community in less than 20 years.

Do not tell me it cannot be done.

It is time we stop accepting race as an excuse and start expecting excellence from people who are in a very good and prosperous society and have every opportunity to make themselves into something.

The worst racism in the world is the racism of low expectations.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

whatever. you guys can deny it all you want. i'd rather be a white chick at the bottom of the economic ladder than a black chick. any white person that says otherwise is lying or completely naive..

I have no black friends. I am not racist.

I know that racism may exist in some people but it is not an excuse for bad behavior and social failure. Different people have different levels of difficulty in succeeding in this society. I do not accept that people "cannot" because they are black...or Asian, or Russian, or Mexican, or blind, or poor. There are far too many examples of success...

spare me gary. you use this same argument when calling 'certain posters' woman haters. nothing new.

rofl.gif a simple 'no, i'm talking out of my azz again' would have done.

now gimme a list of actual advantages a poor white kid has over a poor black kid.

are you and harsh the same person?

you could be a poor white kid or a poor black kid. which do you choose?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Our community has many people from Bosnia, oppressed and tortured and murdered in their country because of their religion, who have come here and now own homes and businesses, their children, the 2nd generation, are the same as normal teenagers here.

My city/town was also a refugee city from that war, so we also have a fairly large Bosnian community. Their success is hit and miss, probably not so different from the rest of us. But for the most part, they have remained in lower income brackets and there is certainly some tension between their community and the rest.

Timeline

37% of wealth controlled by 1%

Blacks aren't the only ones being f'ed

If you took all the money and divided it equally among all the people, in 10 years it would be exactly the same.

You make your own dreams come true. If you do not succeed, in your own mind, then do the best to make it so your children can. I would never have imagined as a young man in Texas, in a rural area where we worked hard and had just enough to get by with a family of 8 children...that one of my sons would be getting a doctorate in physics at Rice University. A rocket scientist! Working on summer research programs for NASA! I could never have done that myself, I only knew one guy in our county that went to Rice. He is the immigrant, non-native English speaking, step-child of a guy that couldn't even imagine an education at that University.

His younger brother, who barely spoke English when he arrived less than 5 years ago landed a scholarship at the University of Houston for Mathmatics. I could never have imagined that for myself, arguably the two top schools in the state...expensive private universities. Who would have guessed? And imagine it is all because I took Alla's suitcase in the Prague airport and said "Follow me" and because we expected that from them and did not accept less than they were capable of.

Do not tell me it can't be done by someone because they are black.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

My city/town was also a refugee city from that war, so we also have a fairly large Bosnian community. Their success is hit and miss, probably not so different from the rest of us. But for the most part, they have remained in lower income brackets and there is certainly some tension between their community and the rest.

So basically, then, Kentucky sucks. The same group does well here and not so well there. What is the denominator?

Can you still be arrested for "thinking and driving" in Kentucky?

Gary And Alla

Timeline

spare me gary. you use this same argument when calling 'certain posters' woman haters. nothing new.

I have friends that are women. So many have the same names I have to number them. Sveta 1,2 &3 for example.

So you think that blacks are incapable of something? What?

Gary And Alla