22 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi all

My mother that is US citizen applied to me on Jun 2006

I married in 2008

Divorced in 2010

My PD (priority date) is current as F1

I didn´t update NVC and USCIS about my marriage and divorce.

My case will be converted from F1 to F3?

My PD will be considered the same?

How many time do I need to wait to get permission to go?

i don´t know which one must be my next step.

I payed AOS and now I need to send them my documents.

I talked to lawyer about but I didn´t feel that he really knows about.

Is there anyone that has the same issue?

Many thanks in advance...

"Here we are on this earth, with only a few more decades to live, and we lose many irreplaceable hours brooding over grievances that, in a year's time, will be forgotten by us and by everybody..."

Dale Carnegie

Timeline

Anyone can help?

What happens if i get married and divorce?

PD will be the same, I know but what about F1 and F3?

Before married was F1 but now?

Thanks

"Here we are on this earth, with only a few more decades to live, and we lose many irreplaceable hours brooding over grievances that, in a year's time, will be forgotten by us and by everybody..."

Dale Carnegie

Filed: FB-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Anyone can help?

What happens if i get married and divorce?

PD will be the same, I know but what about F1 and F3?

Before married was F1 but now?

Thanks

Since you divorced you will be in F1 now. During the interview the CO will ask if you had previous marriages. Tell the truth. You should bring a copy of the marriage contract and the divorce decree. Good luck.

Timeline

Since you divorced you will be in F1 now. During the interview the CO will ask if you had previous marriages. Tell the truth. You should bring a copy of the marriage contract and the divorce decree. Good luck.

Mellow,

Your response gave me fresh air.

But, would you mind tell me where did you find this information?

I searched all the NVC website about this issue.

Dale Carnegie

Timeline

Mellow,

Your response gave me fresh air.

But, would you mind tell me where did you find this information?

I searched all the NVC website about this issue.

You don't need any article. A divorce by itself makes you single again.

Timeline

You don't need any article. A divorce by itself makes you single again.

I would like to believe that its so simply as you say.
But the law is not so obvious as we want.
I would like to have some advice of specialized in immigration lawyer.
Searched one in NJ - USA but I didn´t feel he really know about.
He said that I must wait as F3 now (plus almost 4 years).
I hope to find out a person here in this forum that passed through the same issue than me.
Good luck for myself good.gif

Dale Carnegie

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I agree with Mellow just make sure you take your papers... Ur divorce decree is especially important and if u are asked about ur status be honest... There is a super immigration lawyer in Florida look her up on google Dahlia Walker Huntington she is extremely knowledgeable on immigration matters k

Timeline

I agree with Mellow just make sure you take your papers... Ur divorce decree is especially important and if u are asked about ur status be honest... There is a super immigration lawyer in Florida look her up on google Dahlia Walker Huntington she is extremely knowledgeable on immigration matters k

Thank you very much for lawyer indication.

Will contact them and post her answer.

--------------------------------------------

I think that in this forum there is anyone that had the same issue.

Hope to find out.

Dale Carnegie

Thank you very much for lawyer indication.

Will contact them and post her answer.

--------------------------------------------

I think that in this forum there is anyone that had the same issue.

Hope to find out.

What is your priority date?

Are you doing consular processing or Adjustment of status?

I didn´t update NVC and USCIS about my marriage and divorce.

Call NVC to update your information and find out what documents they need and submit them as soon as possible

My case will be converted from F1 to F3?

Yes, your case will be converted back from F3 to F1

My PD will be considered the same?

Yes, your priority date is the same as appear in the I767 (Notice of Action)

How many time do I need to wait to get permission to go?

Your priority date should be current if the petition was filed in June 2006

Talk to 2-5 different lawyers and you need to bring all the documents so that they can give you the right opinions.

Good luck.

Edited by loudoff

Timeline
I would like to believe that its so simply as you say.
But the law is not so obvious as we want.
I would like to have some advice of specialized in immigration lawyer.
Searched one in NJ - USA but I didn´t feel he really know about.
He said that I must wait as F3 now (plus almost 4 years).
I hope to find out a person here in this forum that passed through the same issue than me.
Good luck for myself good.gif

If you really want a sample case click here: http://www.gurfinkel.com/press_159.htm . In this case the person was annulled.

If you're looking for a good lawyer, you may consult Atty. Gurfinkel from California. He's one of the best immigration lawyers in the US.

Timeline

About Loudoff and Mellow comments:

Loudoff

My pd is current (Jun 2006 as F1),

I am going to Orlando on sep (I am in brazil right now) and will search a lawyer over there.

When I went to NJ and NY last year I talked with a lawyer, but I didn´t feel that he really knew about this issue.

Anyway, thank yoiu very much for your answer.

Mellow

Thank you for Mr. Gurfinkel recommendation. I sent to his office an e-mail. I gonna wait for his feedback.

About the case you sent me: It says: ..."However, during that period, Vilma had filed for annulment, making her “single” again…"...

Well, I understand (and really want to be wrong) that the word annulment is not as divorced.

Anyway, I gonna send a mail to NVC, but would like to find out just one person at this forum that had pass through the same as me.

Thank you for your comments

Dale Carnegie

Timeline

About Loudoff and Mellow comments:

Loudoff

My pd is current (Jun 2006 as F1),

I am going to Orlando on sep (I am in brazil right now) and will search a lawyer over there.

When I went to NJ and NY last year I talked with a lawyer, but I didn´t feel that he really knew about this issue.

Anyway, thank yoiu very much for your answer.

Mellow

Thank you for Mr. Gurfinkel recommendation. I sent to his office an e-mail. I gonna wait for his feedback.

About the case you sent me: It says: ..."However, during that period, Vilma had filed for annulment, making her “single” again…"...

Well, I understand (and really want to be wrong) that the word annulment is not as divorced.

Anyway, I gonna send a mail to NVC, but would like to find out just one person at this forum that had pass through the same as me.

Thank you for your comments

Divorce has the same end result as annulment which is making you "single" again. Anyway post here when you get a reply from Atty Gurfinkel. Good luck.

Timeline
I found at this website: http://immigration.lawyers.com/ask-a-lawyer/Change-status-from-F1-to-F3-and-back-452466.html

a good (wonderfull) answer.

Fresh air again.kicking.gif

"Change status from F1 to F3 and back

My son had F1 status from 04/2005.After he married, his status changed to F3. He divorce now. will he be able to return to F1 with the same priority date?

Answered on Oct 1st, 2012 at 04:45 PM.
As you sponsored your son under the F-1 category as the unmarried son of a U.S. citizen and his status automatically changed to F-3 as the married son of a U.S. citizen, his subsequent divorce allowed him to return to the F-1 category without loss of priority date. That is because there has never been a break in his eligibility to immigrate. Opposed to your son's situation are those in which green card holder parents sponsor their unmarried sons or daughters over the age of 21 under the F-2B category for unmarried sons or daughters of permanent residents who during the process marry and then divorce with the parent remaining a green card holder during this time. In the latter example, there is a break since there is no visa category sponsorship possible for a married son or daughter of a permanent resident and therefore in that case as opposed to yours, the priority date is lost."

Dale Carnegie

Timeline

Mr.

Based on your email, you are currently an unmarried (divorced) adult son of a US citizen. If I were representing you, I would send your divorce documents with your civil documents to National Visa Center. You should have informed them of your marriage and then your divorce.

Dahlia A. Walker-Huntington, Esq.

Law Offices of Dahlia A. Walker, PA

3325 Hollywood Blvd, Suite 206, Hollywood, FL 33021

954-963-8555 (phone) 954-963-1632 (facsimile)

www.walkerhuntington.com dwh@walkerhuntington.com

Family Law and County Court Mediator, Arbitrator

US Legal Consulting in Jamaica

United States Visa Services

34 Annette Crescent, Suite 206, Kingston 10, Jamaica

876-969-9666 or 925-0949

Dale Carnegie

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Halbjr if u chose to be represented by Mrs Walker Huntington you would NOT have any problems... She is really a super lawyer who is extremely knowledgeable and who does her work with all her heart! She puts her soul into it and ensures that whatever case she has goes through and she is honest.. If she cannot help you she will tell u that ur fighting a loosing battle

if u are doing this by yourself I would hurry and do as she said send the copies of the marriage informing them that u had gotten married and also the divorce papers toshow that u are now divorced and include the bar code cover sheet that u used for sending in the other documents right away... Udont remember if ur interview wa scheduled... If not do what mrs walker said

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.