Necrotica

Feeling guilty...

165 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My wedding ring from my first marriage here in Canada, was just a simple white gold band. I think it was $60.00 at Peoples Jewellry. I was happy with it. The marriage was bad though. :)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
My wedding ring from my first marriage here in Canada, was just a simple white gold band. I think it was $60.00 at Peoples Jewellry. I was happy with it. The marriage was bad though. :)

lol sorry i know its not funny the marriage was bad, its just the way you said it :P

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: Timeline
(I didn't see her mention the word diamond either!)

No, true but I assumed (wrongly, perhaps! :P ) that it surely wasn't a $20 silver ring he couldn't afford!

and Dean, my friend, I never said we were rich, we're not. :no: It's a cool design/style and he didn't spend a lot on it. That said, we're also both working professionals of many years & he wanted to go old school traditional & propose with a diamond ring. I woulda kinda preferred a non diamond actually.

Speaking of, we're off to order my band tmrow! YAY! :D

Edited by devilette

I'm back to looking at wedding rings again, and I can't help feeling like a selfish b!tch. Réjean (my Canadian fiancé) isn't going to be able to afford to get me a wedding ring. If I want one (or at least one that I can tolerate), I'm going to have to buy it myself. He can't afford one on top of the costs he's going to incur for the medical and the visa fee... plus who knows how on earth we'll get his stuff here...

I guess I'm just really disappointed. I shouldn't be... and I feel terrible that I am, but I can't help it. I should be incredibly happy that I get to bring him here and be with him... still... arrrgh.

Anyone have any tips on how to deal with it? Anyone been in the same situation? Even knowing that I'm not alone will help. :(

girl, get the ring you want!!!

shon.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey, another good site for some really cheap but really pretty jewelry is www.inspiredsilver.com ... I recently got a ring there (for a whole $30) and its really pretty.. For the first year and a half I only wore a simple titanium band for a wedding ring, and then we found this site, and now i have something that's sparkly :P They also have wedding sets and all kinds of things available.. pretty nice stuff! Something to wear for now at least anyways...

Edited to say that's the one I got and it really does look that pretty!

post-16403-1165014099_thumb.jpg

Edited by de_sjiem

Why do you need a "real" diamond at this point? You can always get one down the road. Check this site if you want a ring between $100 to $200. Maybe your fiance can afford that much. My mom has one and she took it to 3 different jewlers to have appraised and not one of them was able to tell it was not a real diamond.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/app.nav...THEAD-_-JEWELRY

They mustn't have been good jewelers! :lol:

Ok guys, off I go to finshi my day....ttyl :goofy:

Actually they are quite good. And the rings are also quite beautiful. Glad to see there is no shortage of ignorance here today.

hmmmmm....I do not think Lisa is being ignorant.......I am sure the rings you mention ARE beautiful, but as far as a jeweller NOT being able to tell it from a genuine diamond, I find that hard to believe.

AGS appraisors and most jewellers ( I go to anyway) use a combination of weight ( a 1 carat diamond carries less actual weight than a say CZ or manufactured diamond...), refraction about the cut under certain wavelengths of pointed light ( the symmetry and light refraction will be different) and various other methods they have at their disposal.

Here is a handy website for those interested. a jeweller is explaining the process jewellers use to tell. It does take more than a cursory glance under a loupe.

http://www.diamond.info/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry9584der

you're right once again Shele :) That is exactly what I meant.

Dean...A certified gemologist will have a way of testing the stone and finding out whether it's real or synthetic. ....no one's saying that the rings weren't beautiful or could most probably fool the naked eye...but to fool a jewler in a formal appraisal? No sir!

You're right, there IS no shortage of ignorance here today ;) Why it had to come to namecalling, I dunno..but whatever

First off, any jeweler that can't tell the diff between a gem & a fake is not a good jeweler. :no: Certainly not one I'd ever go to.

My point exactly, Devilett :) ty

Edited by LisaD

We bought my engagement ring on black friday in JC Penney with $300 off and my wedding band was $59.99! They had some HUGE rocks with 70% off... great deals if you prefer quantity to quality.

A coke can ring pull would have sufficed. Yes a nice ring is a bonus, but not a necessity in my opinion.

10 year Green Card received, Next step is citizenship urgh!

When you meet the one you want to spend the rest of your life with,

you can't wait for the rest of your life to begin

What I was referrring to...

as far as an engagment ring, my husband had NO money. and when he proposed over 2 years ago he worked for his dad in his medieval mueseum until he gathered enough money to buy me a ring. it didnt last long, it did eventually turn my finger to bla after a year, but just to see the joy on his face to give me this ring was so wonderful i wouldnt have cared if it was a cheerio! (L)

I have a real diamond, sourced from a PC place as well.

I have no need to research fake diamonds or go to unreputable jewelers. I have a friend who went to the GIA & it was not an easy path. I would only use GIA certified jewelers.

Well obviously some of our lower income members don't have the kind of money you do. And I understand it takes much less time and effort to stay ignorant. I still love ya anyway Dev. ;)

Wow, now VJers with diamond rings need to apologise for them? Wow

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

why does the type of ring matter so much?

we'll be getting our rings at a market in Cairo. I don't think I'm getting an engagement ring and to be honest I could care less. I'm getting a man that even in my wildest dreams I could never imagine and that is what matters to me. (L)

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

You will look at that ring for the rest of your life, so it should be soemthing you like.

I LOVE my wedding ring, I still, after two years, find myself staring at it. Add me to the brainwashed diamond owners club!

"We are the real countries,

Not the boundaries drawn on maps,

With the names of powerful men.

That's all I've wanted -

To walk in such a place with you,

On an earth without maps."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kev (Canada/BC) & Kiki (USA/Oregon)

flag_usa_canada.gif

Married Nov. 27th, 2004

Done with USCIS until 2017!!

collage4.jpg

olivia12mo2.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
You will look at that ring for the rest of your life, so it should be soemthing you like.

I LOVE my wedding ring, I still, after two years, find myself staring at it. Add me to the brainwashed diamond owners club!

I love my fiancee, and sometimes I find myself staring at her! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I did not get one. I was disappointed but it was really not that important in the scheme of things.

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
Anyone have any tips on how to deal with it?

Necrotica:

One more thing to keep in perspective...

There are many women walking around today with expensive engagement/wedding rings, and a DVD / photo album from an expensive wedding, and in the final analysis all they have to show for it is... an unhappy marriage and/or divorce papers.

If you and your fiancee are truly in love, then you will be much further along investing your emotional energy into building a happy, life-long marriage.

If you and your fiancee are truly in love and happy, there are a lot of women with expensive rings who are unhappy in their marriages and/or divorced that would trade places with you in a heartbeat. :yes:

Focusing on things like this may help you deal with it better. Good luck and God bless you.

USCIS (CR-1)

06/30/2006 Mailed I-130 USPS Overnight Mail to Nebraska (NSC)

07/03/2006 Express Mail signed for at NSC

07/08/2006 Found out on VJ that my case is transferred to California (CSC)

07/21/2006 NOA1

11/02/2006 NOA2

NVC

11/13/2006 NVC Case # Assigned

11/20/2006 DS-3032 and AOS Fee Bill generated

11/21/2006 Emailed Choice of Agent (from wife/non-USC) in lieu of DS-3032

11/21/2006 Sent AOS Fee Bill Payment via USPS Overnight Mail

11/30/2006 NVC Processed AOS Fee Bill Payment (still no record of receiving Choice of Agent Email)

12/04/2006 Sent DS-3032 Choice of Agent USPS Overnight

12/11/2006 Received I-864 Affidavit of Support (AOS) in mail

12/11/2006 Sent I-864 AOS to NVC via USPS Overnight

12/11/2006 Immigrant Visa (IV) Fee Bill Generated

12/18/2006 Received IV Fee Bill in the mail

12/18/2006 Sent IV Fee Bill payment to NVC via USPS Overnight

01/03/2007 Sent DS-230 USPS Overnight

01/08/2007 NVC processed DS-230

01/12/2007 Received DS-230 (Part 1) and the list of "Documents You Need to Obtain" for Embassy Interview in mail

02/06/2007 Case Complete @ NVC

02/13/2007 Case sent to Embassy

Embassy

03/15/2007 Received Interview Instructions (aka Packet 4)

04/03/2007 Lab Tests

04/04/2007 Medical Exam

04/10/2007 Interview (Conditional Approval)

04/12/2007 Visa Approved!

04/18/2007 Visa in Hand, Gracias a Dios !!!

04/19/2007 Arrival in USA !!! (POE = Atlanta)

05/29/2007 Received Green Card in mail

www.MarriageBuilders.com

I do have an engagement ring not with a diamond but with a green gem stone in it, Jon likes green and to be honest anything would of done me, I am not in to all this diamond stuff, NO I am not putting anyone down who is we are all different on this planet and we each have our own personal choices to make. Jon and I both have white gold wedding rings, we did choose those together, no they were not expensive but not cheap either (well not to us anyway) :P

Sorry I do not understand how you could be unhappy about a poxy ring!!! The love of your life is your SO, as a little girl you got this thing in your head about weddings and how they are supposed to be, when I was a little girl I was so scared of weddings and standing there in front of people telling them how much one another love another ( does that make sense!!) anyhow it gave me bloody nightmares.

Just go with the flow and buy whatever you fancy it is no big deal, what is a big deal is how much you love your other half, that is what counts in the long run.

3dflagsdotcom_us_wa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Isn't there a formula for determining how much to spend on an engagement ring? I realize it's just a guide, but perhaps that's a good place to start by getting a ball park figure of what you should spend based on your finances. :star:

Edited by Steven_and_Jinky