sir17

K1 vs. H1B time issues

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some advice from this great group. My us fiancee and I have applied for K-1 in the summer and recently got the noa2 and the letter that all documents have been forwarded to the consulate... paket 3 should be only days away.

Meanwhile, I was offered a job at a us university, they are offering me an h1b visa, which we would start organizing now, with premium processing. I've read these take 2-3 months to process then. Basically I'm struggling with the decision which way to go. Guess the K-1 would be the safer one to be with my love in January, while being stuck without work for a couple of months (from other posts, I learned that planning on a temporary work permission is useless). The h1b on the other side would enable to start working sooner, though I'm unsure how fast this really goes and if there isn't a chance that I'll be stuck here for four months or so. This is a call that I have to make soon, so any thoughts and advice are more than welcome!

Thanks everyone

If you decide to do the H1 visa, you will be required to go back to your home country once your contract expires and re submit the K-1 application to be with your fiancee. You cannot have both visas. Your already close to an interview date. Plus depending on which POE you arrive at, if you make arrangements to arrive at JFK then you will get a temporary EAD stamp authorizing you to work. Granted you may have to quit if your temp expires before you recieve your EAD. Good luck with your decision.

Matt

Edited by matt85
21FUNNY.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

:time:

Or you could go the H1B route, work right away, get married and adjust status in the US and not have to worry about going back to your home country. Also, you'd avoid the whole Advance Parole issue too! Of course, you may want to spend a few bucks and consult with a good immigration attorney to determine which is the best way to go since I'm no expert! Good luck!!

:time:

Or you could go the H1B route, work right away, get married and adjust status in the US and not have to worry about going back to your home country. Also, you'd avoid the whole Advance Parole issue too! Of course, you may want to spend a few bucks and consult with a good immigration attorney to determine which is the best way to go since I'm no expert! Good luck!!

:yes:

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Hello! Would someone here know why the K1 app I sent to Texas was then sent to the "CSC"? I am assuming that is the CA Service Center. Is this normal? Thanks.

Yes this is normal. All TSC applications are forwarded to CSC for processing.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
If you decide to do the H1 visa, you will be required to go back to your home country once your contract expires and re submit the K-1 application to be with your fiancee. You cannot have both visas.

Not true.

H1-B is a dual intent visa, allowing the holder to have immigrant intent without penalty. An H1-B does NOT have to return to their home country if they get an immigrant opportunity.

Plus, you can have both visas. And, I just read an interesting story that made a compelling case for dropping the H1-B and returning for a K visa, but that was so that a child could be included before they aged out.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Well, actually institutions of higher education are expemt from the H1B visa cap imposed on private entities. I should know as I had tried for 6 months to secure an H1B at my current university for my fiancee, but alas, grant money is at an all time low and positions are hard to come by.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some advice from this great group. My us fiancee and I have applied for K-1 in the summer and recently got the noa2 and the letter that all documents have been forwarded to the consulate... paket 3 should be only days away.

Meanwhile, I was offered a job at a us university, they are offering me an h1b visa, which we would start organizing now, with premium processing. I've read these take 2-3 months to process then. Basically I'm struggling with the decision which way to go. Guess the K-1 would be the safer one to be with my love in January, while being stuck without work for a couple of months (from other posts, I learned that planning on a temporary work permission is useless). The h1b on the other side would enable to start working sooner, though I'm unsure how fast this really goes and if there isn't a chance that I'll be stuck here for four months or so. This is a call that I have to make soon, so any thoughts and advice are more than welcome!

Thanks everyone

I noticed you said premium processing. That means your future employer is willing to pay an extra $1000. USCIS guarantees 15 day processing for the extra $1000. How long after NOA2 to get the H1B I have no idea. Good luck.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi all,

thanks for all your input and thoughts. I got my paket 3 today, so I'm more and more leaning towards running with the K-1. I also found some threads about the temporary visa option when flying through Wash, DC. Nothing to plan on, but good to know.

Sorry for not having started a timeline yet, haven't been here frequently enought, but will make up for it soon.

Thanks

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi all,

Thanks everyone

I noticed you said premium processing. That means your future employer is willing to pay an extra $1000. USCIS guarantees 15 day processing for the extra $1000. How long after NOA2 to get the H1B I have no idea. Good luck.

Probably not long. Those go through a different section of the consulate.

Edited by rebeccajo

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hi all,

thanks for all your input and thoughts. I got my paket 3 today, so I'm more and more leaning towards running with the K-1. I also found some threads about the temporary visa option when flying through Wash, DC. Nothing to plan on, but good to know.

hunh?

If you mean temporary work permit, then you mean JFK in New York.

I've never heard of anything special with DC.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.