14 posts in this topic

I am in the stage to complete my I-129 package but before I do this I would like to ask some members for advice if anyone has been in a situation like me.I am a USC but I have been living in Europe for a very long time,what are the chances that the Embassy will accept my personal funds from a bank in Europe instead of a sponsor for the I-134?I have a few people I know in the US but I am not that close with them to ask for them to help me with this as in these days it is not easy to have someone sign that.Has anyone ever been approved with having his own savings in another country and how did they go along with this?Also are the same funds availible to be used for the I-864 and when do I exactly file the I-864?Any help would be great!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I believe they are considered but at 30% of this face value.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Depends on the consulate.... We used bank accounts but the money HAD to be in the USA and they did not count foreign accounts... But Italy is notorious for being strict on income and money issues.

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Depends on the consulate.... We used bank accounts but the money HAD to be in the USA and they did not count foreign accounts... But Italy is notorious for being strict on income and money issues.

Hi,you wrote ''we used'',how did you both use your bank accounts if one of you is from Italy?Also please tell me how much was enough for them for you to have in a bank and did this also help with the I-864?Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I do not know if the consulate would accept the foreign assets, but if they did I assume it would be at the bare minimum of 5 times the amount needed for income. So, at the very least $96,935 for a household of 2. That is how it works for the I-864 as well. Read about assets in the I-864 instructions. Is there no way you can open an account in the US and transfer the funds, since you are planning on living in the US soon anyway?

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

I do not know if the consulate would accept the foreign assets, but if they did I assume it would be at the bare minimum of 5 times the amount needed for income. So, at the very least $96,935 for a household of 2. That is how it works for the I-864 as well. Read about assets in the I-864 instructions. Is there no way you can open an account in the US and transfer the funds, since you are planning on living in the US soon anyway?

Thanks Jay-Kay,I am planing to transfer my saving funds from Europe of course,but $96,935 is a lot,I read on some posts someone mentioned $56,000?I have savings and I am gonna sell my car as I would not need it anymore here but that number is very high,is the transferring amount the same or are you saying it would be less when transferred to the US?Thanks again!

Timeline

It would be 3 times for a spouse/fiance(e) from funds in a US bank, so $58,161. For the K-1 interview and the I-134, all the consulates have different processes and requirements. No one can guarantee any amount will be accepted. The more you have, the better. The CO has the final, sole discretion on whether or not they believe the foreign fiance(e) would become a public charge.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi,you wrote ''we used'',how did you both use your bank accounts if one of you is from Italy?Also please tell me how much was enough for them for you to have in a bank and did this also help with the I-864?Thank you!

Sorry, after 10 years married I tend to us the terms "we" and "our" for everything. But I did not have a steady job (i am the USC) and my husband (we were married for 7 years before filing for GC because of his job on a ship) was the primary breadwinner and had our money saved and invested in Europe and and a company account in the USA in his name (for tax reasons)... So HE transferred the money (3x the 125% poverty level or like $60,000) to our joint account is the usa and he showed that it was deposited... They would not accept anything from foreign income (even through he was working abroad for the company and would be transferred to the USA) or any foreign held assets.

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

It would be 3 times for a spouse/fiance(e) from funds in a US bank, so $58,161. For the K-1 interview and the I-134, all the consulates have different processes and requirements. No one can guarantee any amount will be accepted. The more you have, the better. The CO has the final, sole discretion on whether or not they believe the foreign fiance(e) would become a public charge.

Again thank you,you are always helpful,can you also tell me when is the I-864 sent?Is it when my fiance gets her green card or after the two years at the point to replace it with the 10 year green card and will the money in the bank in US also do as it would do with the I-134?

Timeline

Again thank you,you are always helpful,can you also tell me when is the I-864 sent?Is it when my fiance gets her green card or after the two years at the point to replace it with the 10 year green card and will the money in the bank in US also do as it would do with the I-134?

It is needed after you marry and the foreign spouse files for adjustment of status > http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

The I-864 has more definite requirements. You can read about them in that form's instructions > http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

Edited by Jay-Kay

Sorry, after 10 years married I tend to us the terms "we" and "our" for everything. But I did not have a steady job (i am the USC) and my husband (we were married for 7 years before filing for GC because of his job on a ship) was the primary breadwinner and had our money saved and invested in Europe and and a company account in the USA in his name (for tax reasons)... So HE transferred the money (3x the 125% poverty level or like $60,000) to our joint account is the usa and he showed that it was deposited... They would not accept anything from foreign income (even through he was working abroad for the company and would be transferred to the USA) or any foreign held assets.

Thank you Christeen for the help,I see that I would need to transfer the money to US which I would plan to do as I will be there and would have a few big expenses in the start,I just have to see with my Embassy what is the amount they are asking as I would like to do it this way without asking people to help as its not really easy to ask this favor to non family members.Again thank you! smile.png

It is needed after you marry and the foreign spouse files for adjustment of status > http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

The I-864 has more definite requirements. You can read about them in that form's instructions > http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

So do I use it as soon as we get married or when my wife gets the two year green card and then send it?Also will the same amount of cash be alright for the I-864 as it was for the I-134 and is a person allowed to use that money after i they accept it for the I-134?

Timeline

The I-864 is required for AOS. You cannot get a green card without it. > http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

Income requirements > http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

If you still have the same amount of assets, then yes. You must list the value of your current assets and provide proof of ownership and value. You need to read the form instructions > http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.