larymiriam

what name will be on visa?

5 posts in this topic

Im a US citizen marrying my fiance , shes a NZ citizen, only a week or so before the interview at the Aukland consulate...Does anyone know how the name change works? We would like for her married name to be on her visa as well as her passport before we come back to the US. Is this possible?

2010 Sydney DCF Timeline:

May 29- Emailed US consulate in Sydney requesting appointment to file I-130 petition

May 30- Received email from consulate with appointment and instructions to file petition for June 3rd

June 3- Filed I-130 petition at consulate

June 15- Email from consulate with Packet 3 instructions

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

K1 or K3 Visa?

Beneficiary's Visa will have his/her maiden name which matches Foreign's passport ID page. Name change can be done for whatever reason but marriage prior to beneficiary's arrival in the US under a K1 Visa status. Need more information. FYI: you can change her name when she files for AOS here.

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Im a US citizen marrying my fiance , shes a NZ citizen, only a week or so before the interview at the Aukland consulate...Does anyone know how the name change works? We would like for her married name to be on her visa as well as her passport before we come back to the US. Is this possible?

The name on the visa will match the name on the passport it is attached too

K1 or K3 Visa?

Beneficiary's Visa will have his/her maiden name which matches Foreign's passport ID page. Name change can be done for whatever reason but marriage prior to beneficiary's arrival in the US under a K1 Visa status. Need more information. FYI: you can change her name when she files for AOS here.

Does a his have a maiden name? :D

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Welcome to America, anything is possible... a friend took his wife's last name just because...

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

OK..heres the deal....I'm a US citizen living in the US.. she's a NZ citizen residing in Australia at the moment.....we're gonna take the direct consulate approach, here's our plan:

sometime in January 07 she'll request packet 3 from the Aukland consulate by phone ...then she'll return any necessary paperwork via snail mail to receive an interview appointment (requesting for sometime in March 07 preferably)

We are hoping she can do the medical in Australia before the interview in Auckland (not sure if medical must be done in country where filing)...also we are hoping she can get her NZ police certificate sent to the Auckland consulate before she goes to NZ for the interview (not sure if she needs to get that in person or not)...Does anyone know about this stuff?

In March (exact date not set as of today), we will both fly to Auckland a week or so before her scheduled interview date, we're getting married in Auckland, then we're going to an express passport center in NZ where she can have her new married name changed(will take about 3 days to receive new passport so I'm told).... then we'll go to the scheduled interview at the consulate and file the I-130 petition (and any other paperwork necessary) at the same time...then hopefully if our paperwork is all in order, she'll be granted CR-1 visa (w/ her married name on it)....We're just not sure if changing here name on her passport between initially filing and the final interview will screw things up for us (i.e. she'd be filing under her maiden name , then receiving the visa under her new married name)..we're not sure how that works. Does anyone know how this works?

From what Ive read here and elsewhere on the internet, most of this seems do-able. However, we're not sure if the NZ consulate will send her the packet3 before I file the I-130 petition (this use to be the case in Sydney until new rules were implemented recently there). Does anyone know if Auckland has implemented that new rule as well?

If I need to file the petition prior to her recieving an interview date, after we get married in NZ in March, then we'll go to Auckland or Sydney where I'll file the petition , she'll receive packet 3, then she'll just stay in Australia or NZ until the interview(should be no longer than 3-5 weeks later) and I'll come back and wait for her here in the states.

The first thing we need is the email address for the Auckland consulate...does anyone know where I can find it?

any input would be helpful at this point :wacko::help:

2010 Sydney DCF Timeline:

May 29- Emailed US consulate in Sydney requesting appointment to file I-130 petition

May 30- Received email from consulate with appointment and instructions to file petition for June 3rd

June 3- Filed I-130 petition at consulate

June 15- Email from consulate with Packet 3 instructions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.