6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Dear VJers,

I am currently gathering Affidavit of Support for my K1 visa. My question is, my fiance will have his parents as co sponsors.

Do they need to fill in I-864 or I-134?I have been reading and I get mixed answers.

And my lawyer said that they all need to use form I-864. But I somehow, doubt that it's correct.

Should he fill in I-134 or I-864?

And how about his parents? I-864 or I-134?

Is it true that I-864 is used for when I am in the AOS process?

Thank you so much. I hope I can shed a light in this confusion we have.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Maybe the requirements differ from consulate to consulate, but as far as I know you will only need the I-134 for the visa application, even with a co-sponsor. In any case, this should be stated on the checklist from your consulate. The I-864 should only be necessary when you adjust status after your marriage.

06-13-2012 - I-129F sent

10-11-2012 - NOA2

01-09-2013 - Interview (approved)

01-18-2013 - Visa received by DHL

-------------------------------------------------

02-21-2013 - One-way-flight to San Diego

03-22-2013 - Wedding

04-16-2013 - I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent

07-26-2013 - Green Card approved

05-11-2015 - I-751 sent

08-12-2015 - ROC Approved

05-14-2016 - N-400 sent

05-17-2016 - NOA1

06-10-2016 - Biometrics

12-16-2015 - Interview

418 days (1 year, 1 month and 23 days) from Sending out I-129F to Green Card in Hand

K1 Process: 219 days from Sending out I-129F to K1 Visa in Hand

AOS Process: 111 days from Sending out I-485 to Green Card in Hand

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Maybe the requirements differ from consulate to consulate, but as far as I know you will only need the I-134 for the visa application, even with a co-sponsor. In any case, this should be stated on the checklist from your consulate. The I-864 should only be necessary when you adjust status after your marriage.

Hi! Thank you so much for replying. The check list from the Consulate is only I-134. But my lawyer insists that he uses I-864. Which for me, does not make any sense. I am not his relative. Not yet, anyways.

And also, my lawyer seems to be unreliable so far. That's why I have the needs to double check everything.

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I was just wondering if you already checked with the embassy about having a co-sponsor. I have asked twice in an email and on a live chat and both times they told me that the Jakarta embassy does not allow co-sponsors. But there is another VJ member who was told that Jakarta accepts co-sponsors. I'm super confused about this and I would just like to know what they told you about co-sponsors.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I-134 for the K-1. I-864 for AOS later. Not all consulates accept co-sponsors. If yours does, then the USC petitioner fills out an I-134 and provides their supporting documents, and the co-sponsor(can only be one with the I-134) fills out their own separate I-134 and provides their supporting documents. The co-sponsor also needs to provide proof of being a USC or LPR.

Since the I-134 is not legally binding, sometimes certain consulates will ask that a co-sponsor fill out an I-864 instead. Ask your consulate directly about their procedures for having a co-sponsor for a K-1.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.