Dimsa

Which is the best way?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello I'm Dimitar from Macedonia and I wanna ask you something about the K-1 visas...
Last summer I was in Alaska and I met my girlfriend which is from there (USA). This summer I didn't get a visa soo because we wanna be together we plan to figure out something for being together.

She is coming over (in my country) in August and she'll be here for two months. I don't know what we should do. Which is the best and faster way? To get married here (in my country) or to start K-1 visa process?
If we get married here (in my country), what is the next step? For which kind of visa I should apply? How is the process?

Sincerely,

Dimitar

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Both take about the same amount of time to come to the US.

The CR-1 spousal visa leads to an immediate green card when you enter the US. You get immediate work authorization an the ability to leave and reenter the US.

The K-1 non-immigrant visa requires you to marry in the US before you can file to adjust your status for a green card. This can take 6 months. Uring that time, you will be waiting about 2-3 months for your EAD/AP card. You need the EAD to legally work; so for 2-3 months you will not be able to work. You need AP to leave the US without abandoning the entire process; so for 2-3 months, you cannot leave the US without abandoning the process. This process also requires another set of fees.

Go with the CR-1 visa if you can.

Edited by aaron2020

*** OP is discussing visa paths - moved to general immigration discussion. ***

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.