Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Which is the best way?

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello I'm Dimitar from Macedonia and I wanna ask you something about the K-1 visas...
Last summer I was in Alaska and I met my girlfriend which is from there (USA). This summer I didn't get a visa soo because we wanna be together we plan to figure out something for being together.

She is coming over (in my country) in August and she'll be here for two months. I don't know what we should do. Which is the best and faster way? To get married here (in my country) or to start K-1 visa process?
If we get married here (in my country), what is the next step? For which kind of visa I should apply? How is the process?



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Both take about the same amount of time to come to the US.

The CR-1 spousal visa leads to an immediate green card when you enter the US. You get immediate work authorization an the ability to leave and reenter the US.

The K-1 non-immigrant visa requires you to marry in the US before you can file to adjust your status for a green card. This can take 6 months. Uring that time, you will be waiting about 2-3 months for your EAD/AP card. You need the EAD to legally work; so for 2-3 months you will not be able to work. You need AP to leave the US without abandoning the entire process; so for 2-3 months, you cannot leave the US without abandoning the process. This process also requires another set of fees.

Go with the CR-1 visa if you can.

Edited by aaron2020

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Soo if I'm just engaged I can start for K-1 visa process. If I'm married with her I should start other kind of visa process.

Thank you

Edited by dimitar

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.