The Mean Lady

Crappy Customer Service - Tell Me Your Stories

29 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm writing a book about terrible customer service experiences so I thought it would be fun to read about others' experiences.

I'm not stealing your stories, it would just be nice to see that I don't have a sign on my forehead that says TREAT ME LIKE ####### every time I walk into a store.

oldlady.gif

There is a book called the customer isn't always right. Written from a retail perspective. I suggest reading. :)http://www.amazon.com/The-Customer-Not-Always-Right/dp/0740785788

They have a website too. It's quite funny, IMO.

Added: Don't be the kind of person I rant about. :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I've read bits of it. One of the managers at Zellers had it on their desk. LOL They also have a website.

I could write a book on that kinda stuff, after being in retail for almost 10 years.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I've read bits of it. One of the managers at Zellers had it on their desk. LOL They also have a website.

I could write a book on that kinda stuff, after being in retail for almost 10 years.

So why don't you?

Cover it on a broader, perhaps world wide scale. Include etiquette of shopping....etc...

Hey this thread has potential to be funny.

LOL. Because I don't have time to write a book about it. Plus it's my life, not as interesting to other people as their own despite being a train wreck :D I'm not big on criticism as most people have no idea how to do it constructively. BACK to bad customer service stories... I have them but mostly because of teenagers who work in stores. They honestly just don't care about their jobs as much because they don't have to pay bills. It's not rare to find a hard working teen in a retail store but they are harder to come by. Old retail workers are generally just jaded as well.

Timeline

This has nothing to do with me being wrong or funny horror stories.

This has to do with high school kids who don't know how to handle problems, old ladies who continue to edge away from me while I'm trying to get help with something because they clearly aren't interested in helping me and walmarts employees who choose to argue with you instead of actually trying to listen to what I'm saying.

The first (2) stories are from zellars and are probably the worst.

They include them mispricing 2 items, changing the price on the second one in between me running from the front to the back (literally ripping every price tag off of the hooks), claiming they can't price match something because it doesn't show a picture of EVERY character in the line, then changing their story to say they can't price match it because my box doesn't say voyager, then when I point out the word voyager, they claim they don't have to price match because we only have a toys r us express, then the corporate office not following through with having someone call me back.

The book is about the decline of customer service in stores and how it affects the customers and their decisions on where to shop.

Several of these stories have resulted in substantial things happening.

Because target wouldn't exchange a simple pair of UNDERWEAR without a receipt, my sister didn't use their wedding registry.

That's about 100 people that didn't have the opportunity to buy there because their return/exchange policy is so terrible.

I've been working in customer service for 14 years now and I learned a lot of what I know from working at mcdonalds.

It also gives a recap of my experiences and what I felt like worked well for my teams and my managers with the employees.

It's not meant to be a funny book, it's meant to be a serious book about the obvious down turn in customer service relations.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

LOL. Because I don't have time to write a book about it. Plus it's my life, not as interesting to other people as their own despite being a train wreck biggrin.png I'm not big on criticism as most people have no idea how to do it constructively. BACK to bad customer service stories... I have them but mostly because of teenagers who work in stores. They honestly just don't care about their jobs as much because they don't have to pay bills. It's not rare to find a hard working teen in a retail store but they are harder to come by. Old retail workers are generally just jaded as well.

This here. What you just said.

Read the post I just wrote.

Many of these stories have to do with teenagers who don't care and aren't educated in how to care or to even help.

And I am SHOCKED when I find that so many of these places are riddled with teenagers and an adult seems to be completely missing.

Seriously, my DQ is always void of anyone over the age of 18. I don't get it.

The dollar store at night, only high schoolers.

And I also experienced an old lady the other day that acted the EXACT same to me.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Home Depot loves to hire older more responsible adults. They have an older workforce.

I actually have no horror stories for home depot.

They're all more than willing to help, or willing to point me in the right direction.

You actually just made me realize this.

I don't find teenagers working there, so I can't really say if it's their training style, but I think people that work at home depot generally just love what they do (home improvement).

Edited by KDH

oldlady.gif

Timeline

By saying funny, I meant the thread....from future posts of stuff like from YouTube, clips, captions, etc....not that the subject is funny. Yes if a business have happy customers, then it'll do we'll.

50 stores carry the same jacket for the same price. Who do I buy from? The people that I like.

Timeline

By saying funny, I meant the thread....from future posts of stuff like from YouTube, clips, captions, etc....not that the subject is funny. Yes if a business have happy customers, then it'll do we'll.

50 stores carry the same jacket for the same price. Who do I buy from? The people that I like.

No, I'm talking in regards to the book Niki posted

It's meant to be a collection of funny stories for people that have worked customer service, and don't get me wrong, I've been there too, we have a couple of customers that are REALLY nuts and we are sort of at a loss right now how to handle them.

But I'm writing this book to try and improve the state of customer service and how to handle situations and also how to better motivate your employees to want to help.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

I read a report a few months ago. Of the top retailers....Costco had the happiest work force, a lot of them go to school assisted by Costco. The pay and benefits also ranked top. HD was second. Walmart ranked last. HD also had the oldest work force, and the most part- timers. That explains a lot too.