zhiggins

B2 for girlfriend and her friend, stronger case?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Hi everyone, I'm trying to find out what the most practicable (yet legal) method is for arranging a visit with my Russian girlfriend from Moscow to the U.S. Now, our intentions are to eventually be together, possibly marriage in the long-term future, but we both want to be honest and have every desire to follow the rules and maintain legality--at the very least because we both realize the difficulties lying to the authorities could bring us later on.

Anyway, our first plan is to have her visit me this winter, combining her university's winter break with a few weeks off the following semester (altogether 1-2 months, as much time as possible). Reading around, especially on these forums, I start to get the impression that for a young, single, Russian woman with few traditional assets it could be very difficult to get approved for a B-2. My question then is this: another part of our plan is the possibility of having one of her good friends travel with her--NOT to deceive the embassy into thinking it's solely a tourism visit, but because for her friend it would genuinely be a tourism visit, and by our thinking might be strong evidence for why they would return home--or would it somehow actually arouse suspicion or even have no effect at all? Thanks for any help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Their visa applications will be judge separately on their own merits, i.e. strong ties to Russia. The Consulate looks for very good reasons why a young woman would not just stay in the US indefinitely -- things like husband, child, property ownership, great job, etc.

I don't think your plan would make any difference at all. No harm in trying though, good luck.

If she has to apply for a visitor visa for the USA, then her obtaining that should be enough assurance that she's just a tourist to the immigration officer - which is the only time they're going to care who she's travelling with. She should make sure to travel with a return ticket booked (and receipts/itinerary for that) and some other ties to her home to show that she has every reason to return before her visa expires (like rental/mortgage payment agreements / a letter from her employer stating her vacation and expected return to work date or documentation to show that she is enrolled in and returning to school etc.).

As stated above, her travelling with a friend will make zero difference to her ability to gain the visa in the first place. She'll be applying for the B2 on her own merits, and those alone.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Hi everyone, I'm trying to find out what the most practicable (yet legal) method is for arranging a visit with my Russian girlfriend from Moscow to the U.S. Now, our intentions are to eventually be together, possibly marriage in the long-term future, but we both want to be honest and have every desire to follow the rules and maintain legality--at the very least because we both realize the difficulties lying to the authorities could bring us later on.
Anyway, our first plan is to have her visit me this winter, combining her university's winter break with a few weeks off the following semester (altogether 1-2 months, as much time as possible). Reading around, especially on these forums, I start to get the impression that for a young, single, Russian woman with few traditional assets it could be very difficult to get approved for a B-2. My question then is this: another part of our plan is the possibility of having one of her good friends travel with her--NOT to deceive the embassy into thinking it's solely a tourism visit, but because for her friend it would genuinely be a tourism visit, and by our thinking might be strong evidence for why they would return home--or would it somehow actually arouse suspicion or even have no effect at all? Thanks for any help.

Each application is either approved or denied on its own merits.

What makes you think that CO would believe that 2 young Russian women will not violate the visa terms?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Have you thought of going to see her?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Each application is either approved or denied on its own merits.

What makes you think that CO would believe that 2 young Russian women will not violate the visa terms?

My guess is one Russian woman meeting one American man would arouse suspicion automatically, but I'm wondering if a friend accompanying her (even if she had to mention it herself, alongside the other evidence for ties to Russia) would weaken that pre-conception, as it wouldn't make as much sense for one visitor to violate the visa terms by staying in the U.S. while the other does.... what? Could be anything, my idea is it just lends more strength to the likelihood of legitimate tourist visit.

And I understand what you're saying about approval based on individual merits, but my question is if documented proof of a travelling partner would qualify as a positive merit. =)

@randye80: ok, thanks for the advice, makes sense.

@lost_at_sea: Thank you, good to know; that's one area I haven't even approached yet, immigration at the port-of-entry.

@Boiler: Yeah we have talked about it and it's a possibility we both are comfortable with, but we want to try the tourist visa first. However if there's a strong advantage to me going there I don't know of I would very much welcome the information.

Thanks very much for the feedback everyone.

Edited by zhiggins

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Each is approved individually... however, I believe there ARE cases of decisions being made before the interview even happens... We were denied a visa after a couple of questions that had NOTHING to do with intent to return to the country, even though we provided more than enough proof of such.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Let us know how she gets on.

Each is approved individually... however, I believe there ARE cases of decisions being made before the interview even happens... We were denied a visa after a couple of questions that had NOTHING to do with intent to return to the country, even though we provided more than enough proof of such.

That would be normal.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

My guess is one Russian woman meeting one American man would arouse suspicion automatically, but I'm wondering if a friend accompanying her (even if she had to mention it herself, alongside the other evidence for ties to Russia) would weaken that pre-conception, as it wouldn't make as much sense for one visitor to violate the visa terms by staying in the U.S. while the other does.... what? Could be anything, my idea is it just lends more strength to the likelihood of legitimate tourist visit.

And I understand what you're saying about approval based on individual merits, but my question is if documented proof of a travelling partner would qualify as a positive merit. =)

@randye80: ok, thanks for the advice, makes sense.

@lost_at_sea: Thank you, good to know; that's one area I haven't even approached yet, immigration at the port-of-entry.

@Boiler: Yeah we have talked about it and it's a possibility we both are comfortable with, but we want to try the tourist visa first. However if there's a strong advantage to me going there I don't know of I would very much welcome the information.

Thanks very much for the feedback everyone.

One or two young single Russian women traveling together would not change the outcome your case.

They can indicate they are travelling together for tourism purpose but beyond that they would be required to prove they have solid ties to home country.

Basically even if they don’t mention anything about meeting you, the pre-conception of they would overstay their visa does not weaken.

What I meant was does not matter is she applies herself or with friend either way the chances of Russian women violating a tourist visa does not change from CO’s perspective.

Let us know how she gets on.

Yes, absolutely.

One or two young single Russian women traveling together would not change the outcome your case.

They can indicate they are travelling together for tourism purpose but beyond that they would be required to prove they have solid ties to home country.

Basically even if they don’t mention anything about meeting you, the pre-conception of they would overstay their visa does not weaken.

What I meant was does not matter is she applies herself or with friend either way the chances of Russian women violating a tourist visa does not change from CO’s perspective.

Ah, ok I understand; thank you for explaining.

Far too many young, single Russian women have 'forgotten' to return to their country after arriving on a tourist visa, after having 'accidentally' met up with their 'friend' who turned out to be none other than their fiancée.....and most VOs have seen this particular outcome far too often....trying to disguise what's really going on by having her apply with another friend or make up some questionable 'business related' excuse will also be very transparent...better to man up and apply for the K1 visa....far simpler...fewer headaches..

Far too many young, single Russian women have 'forgotten' to return to their country after arriving on a tourist visa, after having 'accidentally' met up with their 'friend' who turned out to be none other than their fiancée.....and most VOs have seen this particular outcome far too often....trying to disguise what's really going on by having her apply with another friend or make up some questionable 'business related' excuse will also be very transparent...better to man up and apply for the K1 visa....far simpler...fewer headaches..

Well, like I said, we're not disguising anything, nor 'conveniently failing to mention' anything, the basic question was if anyone knew whether having a friend of hers with us would affect the consulate's decision. Honestly I would like to go with the K1 but for several reasons we're not quite there yet. And besides, isn't it difficult to get a K1 without having met before?

Yes, one must have met in order to meet the initial qualifications for a K1 application, but that fact does not bestow any unique status upon your 'friend'...and as I said before, far too many young women from Russia have 'changed their mind' (as did their American BF) once they picked up their luggage at the airport....your attempts to claim that you have no intention of this or that does not have any positive effect on her application for a tourist visa...stating it in a letter; meaningless; having said letter notarized does not make it any more credible (besides, the only thing a notary does is verify that the person who wrote or signed something was that person - a notarized document's contents are no more valuable than old newspaper.

Your problem(s) getting a B2 visa exist because of the pervasive past abuse of the visa privilege by others...and the VOs are going to be understandably reluctant to get burned on 'their watch.'

Timeline

Well, like I said, we're not disguising anything, nor 'conveniently failing to mention' anything, the basic question was if anyone knew whether having a friend of hers with us would affect the consulate's decision. Honestly I would like to go with the K1 but for several reasons we're not quite there yet. And besides, isn't it difficult to get a K1 without having met before?

I don't think previous poster meant you were disgusing anything but what he meant was lot of ppl in past have and that does impact you too.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.