mota bhai

Oklahoma Senator Inhofe sticks to principle - requires budget cuts in exchange for aid to tornado ravaged community

164 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Since Walmart is probably among the largest employers in alot of those states, it would make sense that they would have a large number of people getting govt. benefits. I'm still trying to figure how that is corporate welfare. Is the govt. paying the bills for Walmart stores? Are they getting some kind of tax break?

Suppose Walmart paid people wages they can actually live on. Costco, for example, does that. As does Publix. If they did that - which really would be the right thing to do - then the public would be off the hook. Of course, the bottom line for Walmart would take a hit. So the assistance that Walmart employees receive directly pads the bottom line for the company. Or, looked at the otherw ay around, the only way Walmart can be as "successful" as it is is by having the public pay for the sustenance of many of the people that work for the company. Without that public assistance, Walmart could not be as profitable and successful as it is. It's really not that hard a concept to understand.

Depends which employees you talk to.

I take the overall appearance. There are motivated employees in one store - the one that makes the top 100 list of employers to work for - and then there is the Walmart crowd. Rather depressing.

i think some people will forever be dependent upon the government. there's no way around that.

but i think there definitely needs to be a shift in focus so far as working toward getting off welfare as opposed to losing benefits the second you start to get ahead.

as far as eic goes? that's just straight up b.s. imo. my friend has four kids, she gets like, 7,000$ and while she may use it for her kids clothing throughout the year, school supplies, etc it is kind of crazy to think that giving someone a huge lump sum like that isn't going to be misused a bit. if you're not used to having money all year, but expect a huge payout come every january - there's a tendency to blow through easy money on things that are not necessities.

and that is exactly why in late December used car lots explode like mushrooms in chow ####### around here. They buy a car in January and get it reposed in May in msot cases. Car dealers make more than they car is worth then sell it again.

I live in and around it. The fraud waste and abuse of public assistance in this country is massive.

Suppose Walmart paid people wages they can actually live on. Costco, for example, does that. As does Publix. If they did that - which really would be the right thing to do - then the public would be off the hook. Of course, the bottom line for Walmart would take a hit. So the assistance that Walmart employees receive directly pads the bottom line for the company. Or, looked at the otherw ay around, the only way Walmart can be as "successful" as it is is by having the public pay for the sustenance of many of the people that work for the company. Without that public assistance, Walmart could not be as profitable and successful as it is. It's really not that hard a concept to understand.

I take the overall appearance. There are motivated employees in one store - the one that makes the top 100 list of employers to work for - and then there is the Walmart crowd. Rather depressing.

So how is that Walmart can compete in the local job market against Costco and Publix ?

Go in a local Kroger (unionized) and then go in a local Publix (not unionized) . It is like night and day. The Publix employess are cheerfull, greet you and go out of thier way to help and talk to you.

Kroger Employees dress like street urchins and will hardly make eye contact. They are often times distant to the point of being rude. They all have frowns, and all you hear them talking about is the next break or what time they get off.

Publix is an exceptional store and the company treats its employees well. One of the few retailers consistently making the top 100 employer list in this country.

Publix is an exceptional store and the company treats its employees well. One of the few retailers consistently making the top 100 employer list in this country.

So how is that Walmart can compete in the same markets as these others and pay less and treat people so much worse

So how is that Walmart can compete in the same markets as these others and pay less and treat people so much worse

Because Publix only employs so many people and doesn't have a lot of turn-over. People don't work at Walmart because they want to but because they have no other option.

He's a pitbull. Pitbulls never admit being wrong. He would have made an excellent Marine.

I've been wrong a time or two. It's been awhile, though. content.gif

I think they should have funds set aside for disasters like this. Maybe cut some of the foreign aid and use those funds.

maybe cut out a few F16's to egypt . wasteful govt farm programs Loans to people to buy homes that can not afford them. i could go on

Because Publix only employs so many people and doesn't have a lot of turn-over. People don't work at Walmart because they want to but because they have no other option.

Oh I C.. So if you can't hold a job anywhere better you have to work at Walmart.. Be careful you might have a breakthrough here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

maybe cut out a few F16's to egypt . wasteful govt farm programs Loans to people to buy homes that can not afford them. i could go on

All of the above. That 3 billion they give to Israel every year should go away as well. Personally I have a problem with my tax dollars being used for ethnic cleansing campaigns.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's always funny to watch the defense of Walmart. It's like the town of starving surfs defending the stature of the queen.

Walton's are pure GOP royalty; as is any company that can profit off the backs of its working poor. They idolize that kind of old fashioned American sweatshop gumption. Bravo, get away with what you can...

Give me your poor, tired huddled masses longing to be on food stamps and employed at $8:00 an hour with no benefits...but longing to be free to choose no job..

That's America!

smile.png

Edited by RGinWA

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. 

-John Kenneth Galbraith

Timeline

5-13-2013 - I129-F Send Express to Texas

5-15-2013 - I129-F Delivered and signed for in Lewisville Texas at USCIS

5-17-2013 - NOA1

5-20-2013 - Check Cashed USCIS

8-01-2013 - NOA2  (76 Days from NOA1)

9-20-2013 - NVC received!

10-7-2013  - Received at embassy Manila (17 days from receiving at NVC)

10-21-2013 - Passed Medical

10-25-2013 - Interview scheduled

10-25-2013 - Administrative Review

11-5-2013  -  Approved

11-13-2013 - Visa received

11-19-2013 - Leaving to PI

12-3-2013 - POE Seattle WA

12-14-2013 - Wedding Ruston Washington.

All of the above. That 3 billion they give to Israel every year should go away as well. Personally I have a problem with my tax dollars being used for ethnic cleansing campaigns.

Wait.. that's Israel that is different. They need our planes.

Seriously.. I am for cutting it all out. end foreign aid until the budget is balanced. Stop paying farmers not to produce. Stop subsidizing rich people to build house at the beach.

Stop paying women to have kids.

Don't touch my Social Security

Va Medical benifits

Unemployment

Oh I C.. So if you can't hold a job anywhere better you have to work at Walmart.. Be careful you might have a breakthrough here.

It's more about landing a better job than it is about holding it.

Oh, do you really think you're going to help me to a breakthrough here? :lol: Don't flatter yourself.

It's always funny to watch the defense of Walmart. It's like the town of starving surfs defending the stature of the queen.

Walton's are pure GOP royalty; as is any company that can profit off the backs of its working poor. They idolize that kind of old fashioned American sweatshop gumption. Bravo, get away with what you can...

Give me your poor, tired huddled masses longing to be on food stamps and employed at $8:00 an hour with no benefits...but longing to be free to choose no job..

That's America!

smile.png

do you use buycott?

7yqZWFL.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

do you use buycott?

I loaded it on my phone, but I rarely get the chance to use it. (I don't eat things with bar codes all that often.)

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. 

-John Kenneth Galbraith

Timeline

5-13-2013 - I129-F Send Express to Texas

5-15-2013 - I129-F Delivered and signed for in Lewisville Texas at USCIS

5-17-2013 - NOA1

5-20-2013 - Check Cashed USCIS

8-01-2013 - NOA2  (76 Days from NOA1)

9-20-2013 - NVC received!

10-7-2013  - Received at embassy Manila (17 days from receiving at NVC)

10-21-2013 - Passed Medical

10-25-2013 - Interview scheduled

10-25-2013 - Administrative Review

11-5-2013  -  Approved

11-13-2013 - Visa received

11-19-2013 - Leaving to PI

12-3-2013 - POE Seattle WA

12-14-2013 - Wedding Ruston Washington.